Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to...

Alfie

Basschatters present themselves as a fairly knowledgable bunch (and whatever they don't no is supplemented by expert google searching), so I thought I might start a thread to try and track down some of the talented bassists that time has forgotten.

I am particularly interested in finding out what became of Richard McCracken who was the bassist for Rory Gallagher in Taste. I am not really one for finding [i]that[/i] tone, but of all the music I have listened to in my short life, the bass playing that I have most striven to achieve has been McCracken's dark, thick, soupy driving basslines on the first Taste album.

I know that he formed a short-lived band called Stud after Taste collapsed, but what happened after that? Does he still gig? Is he still with us?

So, can anyone help me and does anybody have any other obscure bassists to track down?

If you google Richard McCracken you get the Taste web site....

In 1970 Taste split leaving front man Rory Gallagher to pursue his solo career. In the August 2006 issue of Blues in Britain it was revealed that John Wilson had made Taste active once again. John has been at the fore front of the Irish Blues and R&B scene ever since his days in THEM with Van Morrison,and of course in TASTE with Rory Gallagher. Along with with Richard McCracken on bass and Belfast guitarist and singer Sam Davidson,who worked with John in the BELFAST BLUES BAND. Taste have performed at Blues and R&B festivals around the world with Richard McCracken playing bass when his other commitments allow. and now with Albert Mills on bass

the band is looking forward to a great 2010

Always admired him too - I love his playing on 'Born On The Wrong Side of Time', so simple yet so brilliant! Must have been a tough job backing one of the best lead guitarists ever, and he did a damn fine job IMO.

Another cracking line - 'It's Happened Before (It'll Happen Again'. Brilliant! Off to Spotify!

I love his playing on Blister on the Moon. The riff he plays with Rory Gallagher at the end is superb in itself, but is made better by him playing the same note for an eternity. Sometimes you can get the job done by playing a single note repeatedly, that is the method I have stuck to anyway.

I'm old enough to have seen Taste many times as a kid, and the thing I most remember is the wild improv that went on. The media presented the onstage friction as clashing personalities, but it was Rory putting pressure on to get risk taking.

Jazz, if you ask me.

fatback

Edited by fatback

• 11 years later...