Why become a member? ×

Good place to get an SM57 at a good price?

Finbar

My band is doing demos for the album we're recording next year at the moment, and we're doing it on the cheap to keep costs down, and hopefully get it done quickly. So the drums have been recorded already with a friend of ours, and the guitar is being recorded at the guitarist's house through his Line 6 Guitarport (which sounds pretty lol for the distortion, but it does the job for a demo quite happily). I'm supposed to be doing the bass at my house too. But I'm not really set up for it.

I have an external soundcard with two inputs (Tascam US-122), but that's about it. I have some monitors on order though. Can't do anything until they get here. Originally I was just going to go direct into the interface and then use Guitar Rig for an amp simulator and just put up with the okay sound I'd get, but now I'm planning to utilise both channels of my recording interface by sending a DI signal from my EBS Microbass II to one channel for fundamental bassy tones and cleans (gives me a little preamp control, as well as speaker simulation), and then mic my amp and send that overdriven sound to the second channel simultaneously. All being well, that should sound awesome! Especially as my new Matamp head is just about finished and ready to pickup :rolleyes: However, I'm pretty noobish at this, so I could end up managing to cock such a simple plan up :lol:

I'll need to do it in the daytime when there's nobody to disturb in the house or next door, so I can crank the Matamp to something usable. But I'll also need a microphone for the plan to work :/ I have a Sennheiser e835 that I bought for my vocals in the band which I can use, but I don't imagine that will sound ideal.

When did microphones get so expensive? I want an SM57, but they're about £100. I'm sure the 58 and 57 could be picked up for about £70 last time I checked a couple of years ago? I've had a lot of people telling me to use a kick drum mic, but I reckon a 57 would be a better investment as an "it will do anything pretty well" mic for home recording, and I only really need the mic for the mids and treble. I'll be using the DI for the lows. It'll also be the mic I plan to take round for shows as well - I'm aiming to do the same thing live as I do recorded, with blending the DI with the aggressive mic'd sound.

I don't mind buying something like this as an investment - but I'll need the mic, a bass drum mic stand and a couple of mic leads, which is all adding up to about £150 I reckon. Cheaper way of doing this, anyone? I'm wary of eBay bargains from hearing so many stories of counterfeit Shure mics :)

I have no idea where to get them cheap, but there is a mod that a lot of people are making that seems to make them very nice indeed. I have not done it and this is not a personal rec, but it looks cheap and easy.

[url="http://www.churchmedia.net/forums/general-audio/17017-shure-sm57-modification-experiment-described.html"]http://www.churchmedia.net/forums/general-...-described.html[/url]

[quote name='Finbar' post='685857' date='Dec 15 2009, 10:51 PM']My band is doing demos for the album we're recording next year at the moment, and we're doing it on the cheap to keep costs down, and hopefully get it done quickly. So the drums have been recorded already with a friend of ours, and the guitar is being recorded at the guitarist's house through his Line 6 Guitarport (which sounds pretty lol for the distortion, but it does the job for a demo quite happily). I'm supposed to be doing the bass at my house too. But I'm not really set up for it.

I have an external soundcard with two inputs (Tascam US-122), but that's about it. I have some monitors on order though. Can't do anything until they get here. Originally I was just going to go direct into the interface and then use Guitar Rig for an amp simulator and just put up with the okay sound I'd get, but now I'm planning to utilise both channels of my recording interface by sending a DI signal from my EBS Microbass II to one channel for fundamental bassy tones and cleans (gives me a little preamp control, as well as speaker simulation), and then mic my amp and send that overdriven sound to the second channel simultaneously. All being well, that should sound awesome! Especially as my new Matamp head is just about finished and ready to pickup :rolleyes: However, I'm pretty noobish at this, so I could end up managing to cock such a simple plan up :lol:

I'll need to do it in the daytime when there's nobody to disturb in the house or next door, so I can crank the Matamp to something usable. But I'll also need a microphone for the plan to work :/ I have a Sennheiser e835 that I bought for my vocals in the band which I can use, but I don't imagine that will sound ideal.

When did microphones get so expensive? I want an SM57, but they're about £100. I'm sure the 58 and 57 could be picked up for about £70 last time I checked a couple of years ago? I've had a lot of people telling me to use a kick drum mic, but I reckon a 57 would be a better investment as an "it will do anything pretty well" mic for home recording, and I only really need the mic for the mids and treble. I'll be using the DI for the lows. It'll also be the mic I plan to take round for shows as well - I'm aiming to do the same thing live as I do recorded, with blending the DI with the aggressive mic'd sound.

I don't mind buying something like this as an investment - but I'll need the mic, a bass drum mic stand and a couple of mic leads, which is all adding up to about £150 I reckon. Cheaper way of doing this, anyone? I'm wary of eBay bargains from hearing so many stories of counterfeit Shure mics :)[/quote]