Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT-IIP experiences?

Shockwave

Hey guys.

Due to a quick bit of fast Pming from Joegarcia and some frantic logging into ebay whilst on my PS3 i am now the owner of this.

I was originally looking for a SVP-PRO but bought this on a whim.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ampeg-SVT-IIP-Bass-Preamp-Preamplifier-All-Valve-VGC_W0QQitemZ180450810407QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item2a03b4da27#ht_552wt_1167"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ampeg-SVT-IIP-Bass-P...7#ht_552wt_1167[/url]

Seems like its in good condition. Is that about the going rate for them?

Just wondering what you lots experiences are of it. What sort of valves did you use to get a nice Ampeg grit/break-up sound? Any problems? I'll be running it through a Crown XS-700 Power amp, Mono bridged at 1900 Watts RMS and Barefaced Vintage.

Cheers!

• 8 months later...

I'm currently rediscovering the joys of the Ampeg SVTIIP at the moment. I have the others too (Pro/CL) but this one is delivering the goods right now through my Berg IP stack. Mine's carrying a couple of Telefunkens and a Mullard. I set the bass control at 3 o clock and with fingerstyle I get a big round Motown-style sound that is VERY warm. The tone is very similar to a lot of 70s disco records when played nearer the bridge - Thelma Houston, Baccara etc. I use an alder/rosewood P bass with flats and a DBX160A after the SVTIIP.

It's the closest I've got to an all-valve sound without having an all-valve amp. It's not dirty by any means but the combination is deep, pillowy and beautiful, especially with the Barker mute at the bridge. How good are mutes...

Today I would choose the SVTIIP over ANY other bass preamp. When I switch it out for something else and then switch it back the warmth returns. That bass control is just right.