Why become a member? ×

Duck Dunn/Bob Glaub Lakland Skyline

Musicman20

I know Dave Bass has already helped me with this one, but has anyone had any experience with these two Lakland Precision-esque basses?

I am quite tempted to try one out. I have two Fender P's....might sell one and try the Lakland...but I dont want to lose anything that the Fender's give me.

The DD in CAR is stunning...probably just New Year gas....but we shall see.

Edited by Musicman20

LOL, GAS building up again Gareth?

One thing to remember about the DD is it has a Jazz sized neck. Its a very flat, fast neck though and my DD practically played itself. That was my excuse when it also played wrong notes "itself".

Ive not tried a BG but as it has a P neck i felt it might be the wrong choice for me. Tone wise they are both the same i believe.

Im not sure you will gain much if you are already happy with your P's but i think the neck would be the main improvement, with either bass. The Laklands seem to be flatter and ive found with all mine i can get a lower, buzz free action.

Edited by dave_bass5

I have (or have had) all three.

The BG is Lakland's P-bass, the DD is a P-bass body with a J-bass neck. Like all Laklands (mine were/are both Skylines) they're very well made and the necks are just great. They're completely reliable, go-anywhere instruments.

Comparing them to "a Fender Precision" is like comparing an Audi A4 to "a car". Yes, but [b][i]which [/i][/b]car?

My Fender Precision happens to be a 1975 in excellent condition. I prefer it to either the BG (which I sold) or the DD (which I converted to fretless) BUT that's got more to do with me being addicted to genuine vintage instruments than to any real superiority in sound or build quality.

If I had an overweight 1980 Fender P, or a low-build-quality mid-90's Fender P, then there'd be no contest - the Laklands would win hands down.

If I had a 1964 Fender P in mint condition, the Laklands would still win ... cos the Fender would never get out of the bank vault. :)

I had a Duck Dunn and it was a lovely bass. Very very well made and a wonderful tone. However, it really does depend on what Fender you compare it with and how they both play to you. What I mean is, I had a Lakland Darryl Jones jazz bass. A wonderful instrument, amazing quality that only Fender could ever dream of producing. The hardware was solid, the neck was smooth and the finish was second to none. A top class instrument of the highest degree. However, I did not like it to play. It felt very stiff and rigid and made my fretting hand ache. I replaced it with a MIA Fender Jazz 75 re-issue. In comparison to the Lakland, its rough around the edges, not very well put together, clumsy looking with cheap hardware and looks as pretty as a brick sh*tt*r. However, its a dream to play and I feel totally at one when I play it. Its the easiest bass in the world to play and the most natural bass I have ever played. I really do not have to think when I play it, I am moulded to it. I would not swap it for anything.

So, yes Laklands are very good instruments but just be careful on what Fender its going to replace as it may feel very different. If I was going to buy a Precision, then I would probably get a Fender. Not for looks or build quality but purely on how they feel to play. This is off course if its going to be a main playing bass. If for something different then a Lakland would be a top bass to buy.

[quote name='Linus27' post='700848' date='Jan 4 2010, 07:38 PM']I had a Duck Dunn and it was a lovely bass. Very very well made and a wonderful tone. However, it really does depend on what Fender you compare it with and how they both play to you. What I mean is, I had a Lakland Darryl Jones jazz bass. A wonderful instrument, amazing quality that only Fender could ever dream of producing. The hardware was solid, the neck was smooth and the finish was second to none. A top class instrument of the highest degree. However, I did not like it to play. It felt very stiff and rigid and made my fretting hand ache. I replaced it with a MIA Fender Jazz 75 re-issue. In comparison to the Lakland, its rough around the edges, not very well put together, clumsy looking with cheap hardware and looks as pretty as a brick sh*tt*r. However, its a dream to play and I feel totally at one when I play it. Its the easiest bass in the world to play and the most natural bass I have ever played. I really do not have to think when I play it, I am moulded to it. I would not swap it for anything.

So, yes Laklands are very good instruments but just be careful on what Fender its going to replace as it may feel very different. If I was going to buy a Precision, then I would probably get a Fender. Not for looks or build quality but purely on how they feel to play. This is off course if its going to be a main playing bass. If for something different then a Lakland would be a top bass to buy.[/quote]

Thanks Linus.

Ive had a think...and I am pretty sure as pretty as a Lakland is...for a P bass I need to stick to Fender...and If I want to improve the 08/09 I have....I need to go vintage or the 62 Reissue. Both my Ps are sooo lightweight in actual weight but MASSIVE in tone. I really like my old MIJ thats been sold around here recently, but the new USA's just sound massive...and the fretboards are really nice. Add the decent new bridge, nice colours, etc, I may as well stick to what Ive got.

One thing I noticed with the DJ...and this is from the 5 string perspective so slightly different, but the neck was fabulous....nicest 5 string neck Ive ever played.

I would definitely like a 75 Reissue Jazz at some point. Stunning growl! Lets face it, Fender may not have all the bells n whistles and wont have so much QC, but the tone and feel on their instruments is great.

GAS over...hahah. Ill probably keep the P and just get a 5 string Lakland and be done. For now!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='700944' date='Jan 4 2010, 08:44 PM']Thanks Linus.

Ive had a think...and I am pretty sure as pretty as a Lakland is...for a P bass I need to stick to Fender...and If I want to improve the 08/09 I have....I need to go vintage or the 62 Reissue. Both my Ps are sooo lightweight in actual weight but MASSIVE in tone. I really like my old MIJ thats been sold around here recently, but the new USA's just sound massive...and the fretboards are really nice. Add the decent new bridge, nice colours, etc, I may as well stick to what Ive got.

One thing I noticed with the DJ...and this is from the 5 string perspective so slightly different, but the neck was fabulous....nicest 5 string neck Ive ever played.

I would definitely like a 75 Reissue Jazz at some point. Stunning growl! Lets face it, Fender may not have all the bells n whistles and wont have so much QC, but the tone and feel on their instruments is great.

GAS over...hahah. Ill probably keep the P and just get a 5 string Lakland and be done. For now![/quote]

Fender's are like my Lotus Elise. Stuck together with a bit of glue, tape and some odd and sods found lying around but man is it just right :):)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='701052' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:12 PM']Or you could buy my Fender P5! :)[/quote]
Seconded Gareth - I couldn't quite get to grips with that extra string but the P5 is a beautiful thing and an identikit of the P4 (also my old one, oops) in your avatar

[quote name='Clarky' post='701058' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:15 PM']Seconded Gareth - I couldn't quite get to grips with that extra string but the P5 is a beautiful thing and an identikit of the P4 (also my old one, oops) in your avatar[/quote]

Ah...alas, I think Im after a Jazz type bass for my 5 string.

But...Im going to think about it. Plus the Lakkie was a new one and thus on the ccard (new fangled 12 months interest free) at the moment my gear cash is tied....that is unless I sell my Precision which is identical to that one but a 4!