SOLD. Unique fretless 'Ray. SOLD.

solo4652

[attachment=39297:Stingray_1.JPG]

[attachment=39298:Stingray_2.JPG]

[attachment=39299:Stingray_3.JPG]

[attachment=39300:Stingray_4.JPG]

[attachment=39301:Stingray_5.JPG]

[attachment=39302:Stingray_6.JPG]

Serial No: E12423. I've checked this with EBMM and the date of manufacture is 23rd February 2000. They also confirm the body colour as Pearl Lavender (discontinued in 2002, I'm told) and the fingerboard as Pau Ferro. To quote EBMM: "...most likley the only one we ever made exactly like this". It went straight to Bass World in Kent where it remained on display and lonely until I bought it in June last year. It is extremely rare to the point of being quite possibly unique!

4-string
3 EQ model
Fretless Pau Ferro touchboard
Maple neck, with some attractive birdseye figuring - click and zoom on photo 4 to see
Complete with original MM hardshell case and hangtag
Fully checked and set up by instrument tech.
Currently strung with Status Hotwire halfwounds

It's never been gigged. Consequently, it's in "nearly new" condition, with a tiny (1mm) dingette on the top edge - almost impssible to see, but I'd like to be upfront about it. There are 2 extra screws in the pickguard where I installed, and then removed a thumbrest - click and zoom on photo of bass in the case to see. I keep getting it out and gazing at it wistfully since it is a thing of rarity and beauty (the bass that is, not the thumbrest).

But, I'm not getting on with the Stingray tone. I realised I prefer a P-tone, and my recently-acquired Fender MIA Precision has confirmed that. Bit of a shame, really, but there it is.

Putting a price on it has been difficult becuase of its superb condition and rarity. I've searched ther web for new fretless 'Rays - they're about £1300 - but they're not really directly comparable to this one. I've taken it into 2 music shops and asked for a valuation too. The result is I'm putting it up for sale at £900, which I think is realistic.

I'm in Stockport. Anybody who wants to pop round for a cuppa, a chat and noodle on the 'Ray is more than welcome, anytime.

Happy New Year to all bass players,

Steve

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='wombatboter' post='700665' date='Jan 4 2010, 05:14 PM']Beautiful instrument ! Hard to resist but I'm feeling strong..[/quote]

Thank you. I'm very happy to courier it to Brussels, as long as you foot the bill...