Why become a member? ×

So we redid one of our tunes for our EP....

Veils

I have attached the old version of the track which is a quicker and tuned in standard, the newer one is slower and half a step down. We paid out a fair bit for the first track and the second one has been recorded and produced by our drumist.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Putting up both versions, so that I could listen to them back to back, was a damn good move on your part.

The new version is exactly what I would expect, if I played a CD of your band - well polished, crisp production - coupled with a damn good, well performed song - but, and no critisism intended, if I were to see you live - I would prefer to hear it played more to the original version - as I think the newer style/arrangement could potentially lose something in a live mix.

Please bear in mind that I am getting on a bit, and my ears probobly aren't up to what they should be, but that is how it strikes me - at the end of the day, you and the band are in charge of your music, and will do what you feel is right at the time - but my opinion, and it is only my opinion, is that if you can release stuff to the newer quality, but keep the raw energy that comes accross in the earlier version for a live set - it's win/win for you.

Sorry - I used to do the odd gig review for one or two websites, (plus one up on the BBC, as a favor to the band), and I think the old reviewer in me came out during those comments. :)

Edited by arsenic

That's exactly the kind of criticism I need really :) we've made a point of not over complicating what we do live and in the first version of the song I think there is only a very small section towards the end which we aren't able to totally reproduce, but it's not even noticeable but obviously with the second version there are a few more layers in various places which would make the whole thing more cluttered in a live performance, so I appreciatively take what you say on board :rolleyes:

Just to add - there is some excellent musicianship on that song - which really shines through in the newer version.

I would interested to hear an acoustic version of this - where the musicianship is stripped bare.

I have also looked at your Myspace page - the few songs on there show a really good idea of your direction and your attitude towards what you do (although there appears to be a lot of missing pictures on the page, causing mis-formatting of some of the text - I assume this is due to an update in progress though).

Now my health is improving, I want to start seeing "local" bands again,(I used to go to Leeds a lot to see various bands), and if I am ever nearby when you are playing - expect to see me in the audience.

All that is left for me to say is - good luck for the future.

Thankyou very much for the kind words! The webby is in need of an update, were not a 4 piece anymore for example! But were waiting until the tunes are all mixed which should hopefully be in the next few weeks. As for the acoustic thing, because our drummer and second guitarist live in York, all our songs start out as just bass, acoustic guitar and vocals :) funnily enough we've spoken about doing an acoustic ep along with the one were about to complete :rolleyes: