Why become a member? ×

Booking agents' showcase event

solo4652

Hi all,

Our singer's got us a 20 minute slot at a booking agents' showcase event. In 3 weeks time. Gulp.

None of us have the faintest idea what to expect, so I'm looking for advice and guidance. We're a female-fronted 5-piece pubrock/party/functions band playing the usual stuff - Blondie, U2, Beatles, bits and bobs of Elvis, Queen, Katrina and the Waves, Kaiser Chiefs, Fratellis, etc.

I know it'll be like a production line. We're planning on doing 4 songs in our 20 minute slot, leaving a bit of time to tell the agents what sort of gigs we're after. Sound about right?

"Full backline provided", so I'll just need to take my bass - right? (I don't use any pedals)

Will we be expected to have flyers/marketing posters with us?

All advice gratefully received,

Steve

Edited by solo4652

Steve,
These kind of events vary. Make sure you have an agreed 20mins, "at least", of material as the chances are you won't get any opportunity to talk, it will be "who are you, play, thank you we will be in touch". Or, It could be a full audience job, we've done that before. So you play for free and the venue gets to bring punters in and make a few bob over the bar and the agent gets to see you in action.
Personally I would take a few publicity packs along, so if you use them you use them.
The backline might be the problem area as it coulb be good kit or bad, so the P Bass is probably the answer as then you just have to fanny around with "amp of choice".
As ever, if you want a chat, give me a bell.

I've done a couple of these in the past. They are basically play,finish,next band.
The ones that I've done have involved the bands taking all their own gear,including PA,
lights,backdrops,everything. You have to supply your whole show,to play maybe 3 songs.
I've never seen anyone have chance to tell the agent what kind of work they are after. If they
like you,they will be telling you what gigs they want you to do-if you don't want it,someone else will.
It's always worth having some promo with you,some people may ask for it.

As far as the backline situation,I'd have my gear in the car/van,just in case. Treat the showcase like a gig,
because basically,it is.

Totally agree with Doddy on this one..good post..

Typical set -up, is an agent wishes to showcase bands to a group of influential bookers,,, books a large venue,,somewhere like Batley Variety,, lays on maybe up to 12 up to 15 bands in one day ,, all have to provide own gear including backline and lights to show they are "self contained"

Its usually chaos !! six bands or so setting up for morning session, quickly soundchecking,, then morning session begins,, all getting maybe 20 mins (beware timing on these things are tight,and going over your slot is bad form) if lucky it will have a compere who will give a brief overvue of what you are about.

Someone will always be late and delay procedings - this adds to the chaos !

After morning session is over,,all bands de-rig and get out ASAP,, afternoon bands turn up,, everyone trying to get in and out,,they soundcheck,, afternoon session etc...

It can be long day and dont expect feedback on the day.. apart from quick hello,,thanks,, goodbye..

Saying that,,,,, the agent should write or mail you with details, on time to arrive,, what to bring and expect in advance..
Just treat it as a mini gig.. plus yours might be different to the above !!

It might come to nothing,, which in itself is good experiance,, however last one I went to , ended up with great work, and a good write up in Stage magazine..(if interested will find you a link)

let us know how you got on !! hope it goes well...