Why become a member? ×

LOG BG5

Sean

Is it a Skyline?

I have tried 3-4 different (Skyline) DJ5's so far, and they have all been 'new'. Not one of them had top notch QC....each one had quite bad faults. My Fenders were finished better, and they are a lot less £'s. I really like Lakland and what they do, but Ive yet to find a DJ5 that is worth the £1200 retail price. :) I am still looking, and hopefully they will get a new dealer in the UK.

Ive even emailed Dan asking him what can be done, but im guessing he is still busy post-NAMM.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Sean' post='719619' date='Jan 20 2010, 10:04 PM']I am. Anyone else?[/quote]
No, too many strings, maple not rosewood, I'd be more tempted by the inca silver DD with matching headstock, and anyway I have other plans.

Although I do like the butterscotch.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='719636' date='Jan 20 2010, 10:28 PM']No, too many strings, maple not rosewood, I'd be more tempted by the inca silver DD with matching headstock, and anyway I have other plans.

Although I do like the butterscotch.[/quote]

rosewood is definitely an option now. With dots. Seriously.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='719624' date='Jan 20 2010, 10:10 PM']Is it a Skyline?

I have tried 3-4 different (Skyline) DJ5's so far, and they have all been 'new'. Not one of them had top notch QC....each one had quite bad faults. My Fenders were finished better, and they are a lot less £'s. I really like Lakland and what they do, but Ive yet to find a DJ5 that is worth the £1200 retail price. :) I am still looking, and hopefully they will get a new dealer in the UK.[/quote]

I've had pickup/preamp issues with 4 out of 5 Laklands I've had and have gutted all of them and reinstalled everything with new pots and wiring and sheilding with star earthing (more me being anal and obsessive rather than it actually needing being done. I've gutted and refitted the electrics in my Spectors and they had no issues whatsoever). Other than electrics the basses I've had we're all spot on, great fretwork, great fit and build. Good basses with a few minor niggles that I've been happy to fix. My DJs are both keepers and judging from a recent thread some of the lightest around.

A Basses will be producing the new DJs soon so hopefully they'll have a DJ5 that'll be up to the mark for you. :-)

I was very tempted to wait for the A Basses instead of the Lakland LOG BG5 but the P5 (P/J + East preamp) is something new and I've had loads of Jazz basses and they are never quite as RAWK as a P with a J at the bridge .

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='719657' date='Jan 20 2010, 10:50 PM']I've had pickup/preamp issues with 4 out of 5 Laklands I've had and have gutted all of them and reinstalled everything with new pots and wiring and sheilding with star earthing (more me being anal and obsessive rather than it actually needing being done. I've gutted and refitted the electrics in my Spectors and they had no issues whatsoever). Other than electrics the basses I've had we're all spot on, great fretwork, great fit and build. Good basses with a few minor niggles that I've been happy to fix. My DJs are both keepers and judging from a recent thread some of the lightest around.

A Basses will be producing the new DJs soon so hopefully they'll have a DJ5 that'll be up to the mark for you. :-)

I was very tempted to wait for the A Basses instead of the Lakland LOG BG5 but the P5 (P/J + East preamp) is something new and I've had loads of Jazz basses and they are never quite as RAWK as a P with a J at the bridge .[/quote]

Yes I think you must have got a nice pair there :rolleyes: Dave Bass also had a great black sparkle that had no issues. I asked a few guys on tbass and they were all pretty shocked.

They had good necks, but one had frets sprouting through the binding in 3-4 places, and just looked old and used. Plus the fret buzz....nope...couldnt deal with it. So that one was a definite no.

The other had minor faults all over....but the main problem was the Lakland logo wasnt straight! Sounds daft, but the colour for the inside of the lettering WAS straight, so it looked a right mess. :) Also had paint scrapped off where all the strings were resting near the nut on the headstock, (if you ask me, the nut was shaved down far too much).

I realise they arent the USA models, but the price tag over here is very high for a bass with so many minor faults, hence I sent them both back. I would quite happily search for another, but perhaps now Ill wait and see what Lakkie do instead of the DJ5. Id quite like something that isnt sparkly..eg aged white, sunburst, so the new JO5 with blocks might be for me :lol:

I bet we wont see them in the UK for about 2 years hahahah.

I hope the BG5 gets sorted out soon.

I was up for this a few months ago but ive gone back to 4 string now.
And the only reason i was interested in it was for a 5 string lakland P. Now they are doing one i would go with that.
Theres no telling when or if the LOG bass will be made IMO, especially with all the new Skylines they need to get out first.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='720011' date='Jan 21 2010, 12:24 PM']The new Skyline 5 string P looks nice, but Im not sure how it will compare to the new Fender P5....ive heard nothing but good reports on the P5. Im guessing the Lakland 5 string P's are 35"?[/quote]

Yes, 35". Same neck as the JO5.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='719830' date='Jan 21 2010, 09:25 AM']Theres no telling when or if the LOG bass will be made IMO, especially with all the new Skylines they need to get out first.[/quote]
I think you're probably correct - the Loggers have been trying to get this together for about two years. I'll believe it when it happens.

[quote name='bh2' post='720397' date='Jan 21 2010, 07:01 PM']Yes... I should have said - another expensive Fender copy.[/quote]

It's all down to perception and what you think is expensive really. From all the hundreds of basses I've seen and played over the years, I don't think Lakland basses are expensive per se; they're good value for money and are more than [i]just another Fender copy[/i] in the same way that Sadowsky, Celinder, Sandberg to varying degrees (of excellence) are more than just another Fender copy. I think that all the US Fenders that I've owned or played have been expensive (at their new shop price) and not particularly good value for money at all based on build quality and playability. Japanese Fenders on the other hand are outrageously good value for money in the main and I'm very unlikely to part with the one I have.

I think to make throw away negative comments like you have, without any explanation or justification so that the rest of us might gain some insight, is at very best poor forum etiquette and serves to make the sensible majority see your post as meaningless sniping.

Now, if you'd have said that Warwicks are expensive Spector copies then I'd have to agree :)

Edited by Sean

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='720406' date='Jan 21 2010, 07:07 PM']I think you're probably correct - the Loggers have been trying to get this together for about two years. I'll believe it when it happens.[/quote]

I think the issue with this is that some people are mad keen until it comes to parting with the cold hard folding and then they bottle it at the end. More a fear of the unknown when it comes to pushing the button rather than being not genuine, I feel.

The good news is that the number of orders needed to make this a reality has dropped from thirty to fifteen, which makes it a lot more realistic however I believe it's still a couple short though the rosewood/maple option might sway a few waverers.

If this doesn't come off I think I'll order a Status Streamline or something else unusual. I've never had an instrument for a birthday pressie and with a "big birthday" this year I'm determined to make it something cool.

[quote name='Sean' post='720477' date='Jan 21 2010, 08:13 PM']I think the issue with this is that some people are mad keen until it comes to parting with the cold hard folding and then they bottle it at the end. More a fear of the unknown when it comes to pushing the button rather than being not genuine, I feel.[/quote]
Sean, I didn't mean to suggest anyone was not genuine but only that getting enough people to commit was difficult (and with the new Lakland LEs arriving it may be more difficult still). When the planned LOG bass was a Hollow Body (about 18 months ago) I would have been in if the colour was right but IIRC candy apple blue was the winner and that was a total no for me. Then IIRC there was a revote on the colour and translucent (Gretsch) orange won but Lakland couldn't do translucent orange on a Hollow Body so that fell through. Then it moved to a BG and I might have been in for a 4 string but again I had no interest in the colour chosen (teal green I think) and then that one fell through.

[quote name='Sean' post='720477' date='Jan 21 2010, 08:13 PM']The good news is that the number of orders needed to make this a reality has dropped from thirty to fifteen, which makes it a lot more realistic however I believe it's still a couple short though the rosewood/maple option might sway a few waverers.[/quote]
At fifteen, they've got a much better chance and I do very much like the translucent butterscotch.

[quote name='Sean' post='720477' date='Jan 21 2010, 08:13 PM']If this doesn't come off I think I'll order a Status Streamline or something else unusual. I've never had an instrument for a birthday pressie and with a "big birthday" this year I'm determined to make it something cool.[/quote]
There certainly isn't any shortage of nice basses to buy - even when they are expensive Fender copies.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='720517' date='Jan 21 2010, 08:46 PM']Sean, I didn't mean to suggest anyone was not genuine but only that getting enough people to commit was difficult (and with the new Lakland LEs arriving it may be more difficult still). When the planned LOG bass was a Hollow Body (about 18 months ago) I would have been in if the colour was right but IIRC candy apple blue was the winner and that was a total no for me. Then IIRC there was a revote on the colour and translucent (Gretsch) orange won but Lakland couldn't do translucent orange on a Hollow Body so that fell through. Then it moved to a BG and I might have been in for a 4 string but again I had no interest in the colour chosen (teal green I think) and then that one fell through.

At fifteen, they've got a much better chance and I do very much like the translucent butterscotch.

There certainly isn't any shortage of nice basses to buy - even when they are expensive Fender copies.[/quote]

Dave, I didn't mean to imply you were suggesting anything, just that saying one theory of mine why these things don't happen. I was up for the HB too and was disappointed when it fell apart. I prefer the new approach of suggesting a colour/model combo etc and just getting a yea or nay rather than going to vote with too many options. I must admit to being more a fan of special Laklands than I am of five string P passes though. I do like the Lakland 5 neck though, even with the 19mm spacing.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='720517' date='Jan 21 2010, 08:46 PM']There certainly isn't any shortage of nice basses to buy - even when they are expensive Fender copies.[/quote]

There'd be half the posts on this forum ( if that) if we didn't have all these Fender copies.