Why become a member? ×

Can someone tell me about onboard pre-amps?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='722532' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:10 PM']I have 3 Jazzes all passive love them all but fancy spicing one of them up a bit.

It'll be either my MIM with SD Quarter Pounders or my HW1 with standard PUPs, both have Badass II's on.

I've seen loads of pre-amps avilable but not sure what the difference is, can anyone explain?[/quote]
Hi Wayne, Beedster is probably your man for asking about putting pre-amps in Fenders as he has tried J-retro and Audere, two of the most highly tipped. ACG I believe get good write-ups too.

I had an Audere in the Jazz I sold a month or two back. It was like putting the bass on steroids. Loads more tonal options from sparkly hi-fi, to clean classic Jazz to deep and low (could even get a P bass thump out of it), a really good piece of kit. Also solder-free idiot-proof instalation (hence I managed it). If you want an active option in a Jazz I really recommend the Audere. Also battery lasts for absolutely ages and has a warning when running low so no chance of it dying on you mid-gig.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='722542' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:17 PM']Hi Wayne, Beedster is probably your man for asking about putting pre-amps in Fenders as he has tried J-retro and Audere, two of the most highly tipped. ACG I believe get good write-ups too.

I had an Audere in the Jazz I sold a month or two back. It was like putting the bass on steroids. Loads more tonal options from sparkly hi-fi, to clean classic Jazz to deep and low (could even get a P bass thump out of it), a really good piece of kit. Also solder-free idiot-proof instalation (hence I managed it). If you want an active option in a Jazz I really recommend the Audere. Also battery lasts for absolutely ages and has a warning when running low so no chance of it dying on you mid-gig.[/quote]

The Audere looks pretty good, solder free is good.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='722552' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:26 PM']The Audere looks pretty good, solder free is good.[/quote]
here's the jobbie [url="http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3.htm"]http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3.htm[/url]

PS, when you instal you snip the existing pickup wires near the pots which means - if you decide to remove the Audere at a later date - you do have to re-solder. Its only installation thats solder-free

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='722542' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:17 PM']Hi Wayne, Beedster is probably your man for asking about putting pre-amps in Fenders as he has tried J-retro and Audere, two of the most highly tipped. ACG I believe get good write-ups too.

I had an Audere in the Jazz I sold a month or two back. It was like putting the bass on steroids. Loads more tonal options from sparkly hi-fi, to clean classic Jazz to deep and low (could even get a P bass thump out of it), a really good piece of kit. Also solder-free idiot-proof instalation (hence I managed it). If you want an active option in a Jazz I really recommend the Audere. Also battery lasts for absolutely ages and has a warning when running low so no chance of it dying on you mid-gig.[/quote]

Thanks Clarky, Wayne, I've two J-Retro's going spare here mate, you can always drop by, pick one up, install it and, if you like it, we'll agree a fee or trade

If I was going for tone it would be the J-Retro every time, if I were going for ease of use, it would be the Audere. The Sadowsky was nice tone-wise but too limited (2eq and to powerful).

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='722556' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:27 PM']Thanks Clarky, Wayne, I've two J-Retro's going spare here mate, you can always drop by, pick one up, install it and, if you like it, we'll agree a fee or trade

If I was going for tone it would be the J-Retro every time, if I were going for ease of use, it would be the Audere. The Sadowsky was nice tone-wise but too limited (2eq and to powerful).

C[/quote]

I'd appreciate that buddy, how hard are the J Retros to install?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='722574' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:43 PM']I'd appreciate that buddy, how hard are the J Retros to install?[/quote]

I have a new one (8 months old) that's a solder-free and an older one (2 years) that would require solder. You can have either, although the latter will be cheaper.

Off to the pub now!

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='722581' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:50 PM']I have a new one (8 months old) that's a solder-free and an older one (2 years) that would require solder. You can have either, although the latter will be cheaper.

Off to the pub now!

C[/quote]

I may well try out the solder free one if that's OK buddy?

I really loved the J retro i had my Bacchus Jazz 5... Sigh! Thats completely one that got away. However some models dont have a passive tone pot when in passive mode, and you can only have both pickups on or one on (I think default is both pickups full or bridge pickup full via a toggle switch) I think i'd miss being able to have a shapable passive tone now. But if youve got a few jazzes it shouldnt be a problem :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='722619' date='Jan 23 2010, 09:36 PM']I really loved the J retro i had my Bacchus Jazz 5... Sigh! Thats completely one that got away. However some models dont have a passive tone pot when in passive mode, and you can only have both pickups on or one on (I think default is both pickups full or bridge pickup full via a toggle switch) I think i'd miss being able to have a shapable passive tone now. But if youve got a few jazzes it shouldnt be a problem :)[/quote]

Yep, that's a good point. I would say in defence of the JR that I doubt there's a tone you can get on a traditional passive circuit that you can't get with the JR active circuit, it might take some working out for sure, but it's in there. Flip side is that there's no simple switch to get back to passive mode on all but the four-pot models (John may want to update here). I think the only time this would be a problem is when the battery died live or recording, and you had to use the rather limited passive options on the JR. For sure, I will always prefer a pre-amp with a direct passive option, but the quality of the active tone has to be the main reason for selecting a pre-amp. If passive tone is critical, why go active!

I have a 1981 Precision Special pre-amp on its way from Alabama. Nice active/passive switch. Can't wait!

C

Edited by Beedster

[list]
[/list][quote name='waynepunkdude' post='722658' date='Jan 23 2010, 10:06 PM']I'm in town tomorrow if you're about?[/quote]

May be later on, but I have to uninstall from my Jazz (the older JR you could collect for sure). Could we speak about midday?

Cheers

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='722581' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:50 PM']I have a new one (8 months old) that's a solder-free and an older one (2 years) that would require solder. You can have either, although the latter will be cheaper.

Off to the pub now!

C[/quote]

Both these J-Retros are now spoken for I'm afraid folks. If wayne doesn't like it, I'll offer it in turn to the second, third, fourth ... etc. in line in order of this morning's PMs. Didn't realise they were so in demand!

Chris