Why become a member? ×

Carvin Basses - Why Have They Never 'Made It' Over Here?

merello

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1344703770' post='1768191']
Bass Gear are now a UK Supplier. They have Amps in stock with basses to follow.

[/quote]

I'm covering for Phil the owner of BassGear for 2 days this week whilst he's on holiday :)

Hope it's Ok to post as I'm just trying to keep people up to date and not specifically trying to flog anything.

The core Carvin business model is to make each customer's bass individually. However, with such a low 'installed base' in the UK it's near impossible for people to try one out so it's unsurprising that people won't order them blind = a bit of a vicious circle :(

Phil is planning to get about 4-5 in stock for demo purposes (of course they will be for sale as well) so that people can really test them out and he can now quote on any of the Carvin range in any sort of custom spec anyone might fancy.

I've spoken to the Carvin guys in the last week, on Phil's behalf, and they are really keen to put more effort into increasing their UK business. They now have a much better distribution hub over here that will stock a lot of the different amps & cabs (because these aren't made to order) with really fast delivery times.

They do make some pretty impressive amps, amazing price for 'Made in USA' kit with valves in the pre-amp stage etc. A couple of us were trying a BX500 through a little Bag End 1x10 this week. Sounded huge for such a tiny little rig!

I have to admit that I'm really quite excited to try some of the basses as well. I promise to give Phil a swift kick about these when he gets back from holiday at the end of the week :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1345414142' post='1777323']
The core Carvin business model is to make each customer's bass individually. However, with such a low 'installed base' in the UK it's near impossible for people to try one out so it's unsurprising that people won't order them blind = a bit of a vicious circle :(

Phil is planning to get about 4-5 in stock for demo purposes (of course they will be for sale as well) so that people can really test them out and he can now quote on any of the Carvin range in any sort of custom spec anyone might fancy.
[/quote]

Cool, thats good news. I'll drop in some time once your set up. it maybe an idea to take some Carvin gear to some shows like these:

http://www.greatbritishguitarshow.co.uk/

Take the basses to the people so to speak. The Birmingham show was great and very busy, I haven't been to the Bristol show-I think it is just trying to get established but I will be going along this year.

I know Phil has been in discussion with Carvin about not only attending shows but also about having an artist endorsee giving masterclasses etc. :)

I'm actually in the shop today and just received a request for a quote on a Carvin - better get back to 'work' :rolleyes:

Edited by molan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1344762275' post='1768761']
I have one at the moment. I say "at the moment" because it is about to move on again! However, it is only moving on because it is surplus to requirements and it's a choice between that one and my Geddy Lee - which I really love!

It is a beautifully made bass, with excellent quality materials and hardware. It sounds very good and is tonally very versatile due to effectively having three pickups as well as a three-band EQ. The neck is lovely and wide, which is what I like - although getting strings to fit the 35.25" scale and through-body stringing is a bit awkward!

If it wasn't for an ultimatum from Mrs C, I would happily keep it, gig it and record with it.
[/quote]

Well thanks to Conan I am the new owner of the bass mentioned above I can 2nd his comments.
It is a beautiful XB75P and is well made piece of kit. In size shape and string spacing it is pretty similar to my TRB 1005. My TRB is a monster which I like a lot but I have to admit that the Carvin handles and feels better and is lighter.

First play just confused me as with 6 Knobs, a selector switch and a passive option. In fact it is a straightforward system, with some extras. Basically its Master volume (pops up for passive option), Pan/blend-between jazz and humbucker, a dual or single pick-up selector switch and active hi, med and low knobs.
The "extras" is a pan/Blend to mix in the Piezo and magnetic pickups. See link: [url="http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/P-SERIES.pdf"]http://www.carvingui...ls/P-SERIES.pdf[/url]

The action is set a little low for me-the fact that it can be set so low is a credit to the build. I left it like that at the moment as I'm experimenting and playing the fret board with two hands.
Its apparent that the pups have a wide range of sounds. They have plenty pop and the passive mode is most welcome. That little bit of knowledge of the controls helps tremendously to get the most out of it. It is by far the most versatile bass I have owned. Only time will tell if it will be the one I reach for first.

I look forward to trying some more Carvins in the future

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1345671812' post='1780421']First play just confused me as with 6 Knobs, a selector switch and a passive option. In fact it is a straightforward system, with some extras. Basically its Master volume (pops up for passive option), Pan/blend-between jazz and humbucker, a dual or single pick-up selector switch and active hi, med and low knobs.
The "extras" is a pan/Blend to mix in the Piezo and magnetic pickups.[/quote]

You found out more about it in 10 minutes than I did in two months!! :blink: :D

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1345414142' post='1777323']
I'm covering for Phil the owner of BassGear for 2 days this week whilst he's on holiday :)

Hope it's Ok to post as I'm just trying to keep people up to date and not specifically trying to flog anything.

I've spoken to the Carvin guys in the last week, on Phil's behalf, and they are really keen to put more effort into increasing their UK business. They now have a much better distribution hub over here that will stock a lot of the different amps & cabs (because these aren't made to order) with really fast delivery times.

They do make some pretty impressive amps, amazing price for 'Made in USA' kit with valves in the pre-amp stage etc. A couple of us were trying a BX500 through a little Bag End 1x10 this week. Sounded huge for such a tiny little rig!

I have to admit that I'm really quite excited to try some of the basses as well. I promise to give Phil a swift kick about these when he gets back from holiday at the end of the week :)
[/quote]

Currently in discussions with a view to ordering an SB5000 in the next week or so. Very stoked!!

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1345738335' post='1781122']
Deal agreed! Specifications decided! As soon as I can get down to Bass Gear with my bass it will be countdown to lovely new SB5000 time! Very happy with the service so far! I'll be happy for anyone to come and try it out when I get it. Form an orderly queue!
[/quote]

There are some nice people working there aren't there :rolleyes:

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1345671812' post='1780421']
Well thanks to Conan I am the new owner of the bass mentioned above I can 2nd his comments.
It is a beautiful XB75P and is well made piece of kit. In size shape and string spacing it is pretty similar to my TRB 1005. My TRB is a monster which I like a lot but I have to admit that the Carvin handles and feels better and is lighter.

First play just confused me as with 6 Knobs, a selector switch and a passive option. In fact it is a straightforward system, with some extras. Basically its Master volume (pops up for passive option), Pan/blend-between jazz and humbucker, a dual or single pick-up selector switch and active hi, med and low knobs.
The "extras" is a pan/Blend to mix in the Piezo and magnetic pickups. See link: [url="http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/P-SERIES.pdf"]http://www.carvingui...ls/P-SERIES.pdf[/url]

Its apparent that the pups have a wide range of sounds. They have plenty pop and the passive mode is most welcome. That little bit of knowledge of the controls helps tremendously to get the most out of it. It is by far the most versatile bass I have owned. Only time will tell if it will be the one I reach for first.
[/quote]

Just to finish the above now that I have it set up for me:
As previously mentioned it has a lot of useful tones. In comparison to my Dean and Spector, the sounds are more "woody". It definitely has its own sound and character-probably due to the Carvin electronics, which is a good thing I think.

The pickups are more sensitive than I'm used to and overall have good tone and power. As I mentioned above you can certainly get plenty of "pop" if required and the wide string spacing allows easy slapping. All of the strings, including the potentially sloppy "B" feel right and the sound is very even across them.
The Peizo option is interesting. If you use it on its own you loose some of the EQ range. Its good for quieter rather than rocky styles of play. I read that it sounds like an acoustic bass. I can hear what they meant but wouldn't go that far. Useful for recording purposes and even better on frettless basses I would think. For my uses I only use a small amount blended with the magnetic PUPS, or none at all.

My Favourite sounds? When active I turn bass and treble turned right up and the mids turned down. Like this you can pan between and blend pickups and everything sounds good. In passive I find the front single J pup gives a sound close to a Fender Jazz. This is great for me as I don'r have another passive option in my armoury.

Overall a good package, a real "looker", nice and light for its size and gives lots of creative options.

This bass has been up for sale before on Basschat. You can see it here, It is 2nd one down and listed as Dougal's: [url="http://www.carvinmuseum.com/playersgallery/xb75.html"]http://www.carvinmus...llery/xb75.html[/url]

I'm now trying [u]not[/u] to look at any more basses and pondering over which strings to fit, as I want to make the most of the natural tones of the guitar.

Thanks for the selling me it Conan!

Edited by Pinball