Why become a member? ×

Squier VMJ fretless

BottomEndian

Up for sale: this lovely Squier Vintage Modified Jazz fretless, in pretty much as-new condition (bought new from Reverb early last year). The only "modification" is that I've fitted a set of TI flats, which have taken off the brittle edge to the sound that the ebonol board gives with rounds. Now it's all growl, mwah and bite. (I'll include the original Fender rounds if I can find them, but they're honestly not up to much IMO.) I've got the action preposterously low at the moment, but there's plenty of room for adjustment in the truss rod and bridge.

I'm sure I don't need to say that much about these fantastic basses. I'm just having a bit of a clearout, and my fretless SR5 is more than enough fretless for me. You can see from the pictures how clean this is. Never been gigged -- just played at home and at a couple of rehearsals. No dings that I'm aware of, although there might be the tiniest knock at the very tip of the headstock, which all my basses get in the end. It's what comes from practising in the attic space. Those sloping ceilings... :rolleyes:

[b]£150 delivered[/b] in the UK, although if you're local we can do collection. No case with this, but I'll find a good box for shipping. Don't worry -- I send stuff out with couriers for a living, so I'm plenty practiced at packing. :)

If you've got anything to trade, you can but try me!

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='Bassassin' post='728724' date='Jan 29 2010, 02:17 PM']Missed another one. I think that's 5 now.

Arse.

Jon.[/quote]
They seem to crop up here pretty regularly. Get yerself set up with an RSS feed to the Basschat Marketplace, then sit all day patiently refreshing every 30 seconds.

I'm almost not joking. :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='728786' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:04 PM']I couldn't have really anyway - I'm supposed to be saving for a new rig.

Doesn't stop me looking & lamenting every one I miss, though! :) :rolleyes:

J.[/quote]
Take the cheapy way out: grab that CSL Jazz of yours and a pair of pliers... :lol:

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='728788' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:08 PM']Take the cheapy way out: grab that CSL Jazz of yours and a pair of pliers... :rolleyes:[/quote]
Sacrilege! Apart from anything else, de-fretted maple/blocks boards look [i]awful[/i]!

I've got a very nice old fretless Yamaha BB400 (which I picked up between missed VMJs) but the downsides are it weighs a ton & I'm not 100% sold on the limitations of the single P pup. I suppose if I do get the chance of a well priced VMJ it makes sense to grab it & flog the one I like least...

So give me a shout if the sale falls through, won't you! :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='728896' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:33 PM']So give me a shout if the sale falls through, won't you! :)[/quote]
Sorry, done deal.

Actually, one of the nicest-feeling basses I've come across was a beaten-up CSL Jazz (with blocked maple neck). Trouble was, I couldn't judge the tone at all because the pickups had gone completely microphonic, so every tap of my wedding ring against the neck was just a massive CLONNNNGGG through the amp. As I said to the owner (and he agreed), with a bit of time and effort put in, it could be a really sweet bass.

Hijacking my own thread here, Jon (well, it's sold anyway :rolleyes: ), but what do you know about CSL? I've heard they were based in Newcastle/Gateshead, and were one of the many companies importing Japanese copies (from the Ibanez factory?) in the 70s/80s. Is that about right?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='728907' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:41 PM']Sorry, done deal.

Actually, one of the nicest-feeling basses I've come across was a beaten-up CSL Jazz (with blocked maple neck). Trouble was, I couldn't judge the tone at all because the pickups had gone completely microphonic, so every tap of my wedding ring against the neck was just a massive CLONNNNGGG through the amp. As I said to the owner (and he agreed), with a bit of time and effort put in, it could be a really sweet bass.

Hijacking my own thread here, Jon (well, it's sold anyway :rolleyes: ), but what do you know about CSL? I've heard they were based in Newcastle/Gateshead, and were one of the many companies importing Japanese copies (from the Ibanez factory?) in the 70s/80s. Is that about right?[/quote]
In a nushell, yes. CSL was Charles Summerfield Ltd in Gateshead. At the time (70s - early 80s) they were UK importer for Ibanez & sourced their own-brand guitars from Fujigen Gakki, the factory which made Ibanez, Greco, Antoria etc & subsequently built MIJ Fenders & Squiers.

My CSL Jazz is an absolute delight to play, pickups are maybe a bit lacking in output but sweet-sounding and will do until a nice set of cream-cover vintage DiMarzios comes up... It remains the one I'd rescue if my house was being attacked by alien death robots. :)

J.