Why become a member? ×

Japanese Squier Jazz Bass Price?

HarryPotter

Hi Guys,

I'ved been offered a Japanese Squier Jazz, Serial number starts with N (and 6 digits) which I'm guessing makes it a 93-94?

It's in nice condition with vintage style frets and, for a jazz, quite a meaty neck and it played really nice.

The asking price was £175

Does this sound fair?

Does anybody know much about them?

I've done a search and aside from the usual on the JV's information is a bit scarce.

TIA

bh2 - that's not a JV Squier. JVs were the very first Japanese-built Squiers & Fenders, from 1982/83. The "JV" (Japan Vintage) refers to the serial prefix, they were accurate reissues of specific 50s & 60s Fenders.

However, despite not (yet) being collectable like their 80s predecessors, 90s MIJ Squiers are very good & well regarded instruments, and likely built by Fujigen, like all pre CIJ Fenders. £175 sounds like a decent price to me.

Jon.

[quote name='bh2' post='730330' date='Jan 31 2010, 10:03 AM']Ahh... got the wrong end there, thanks Jon. Didn't clock the dates...
FWIW I've a Jap Squier Silver Series Precision that my wife bought for me in 1990 (ish)... It's a superb bass, my son has it now.

Bob.[/quote]
There you go then - that's the era & build quality of the Jazz in question!

J.

Like Jon says £175 is a very fair price, but it might be worth your while popping of the pickguard before you decide to buy. There appear to be a few composite (that's MDF to you) bodied Silver Series jazz basses floating about, identified by a router locating hole under the guard. It might affect your purchase decision, though it has to be said that owners of such beasts seem to be oblivious to the wood used so they can't be too shabby tone wise.