Why become a member? ×

Double bass FS/FT

Bassworm

Hi All,

Much as I love this bass, there's simply not enough room in my life for it any more. It's Hungarian, blonde (and beautiful) and according to the previous owner was dated to the 1940s although I've not decided whether I'm totally convinced on that point. It's 3/4 size, it's been stripped back sometime in it's life. It's clear that at sometime in it's life it's had a neck break near the heel but it's been well repaired and shows no sign of any instability. The fingerboard could do with re-ebonising sooner or later but is otherwise sound. String height is quite high, about 18mm at the end of the fingerboard and I always intended to get my local luthier to bring it down a bit but somehow never got round to it.

There are all the usual signs of having had a proper working life with various dings and dents, there are some previouly repaired cracks on the front near the f-holes but looking inside you can see they've been well-cleated. The bridge is a relatively new Aubert, and there's a no-name pickup installed which works perfectly well, I used to pre-amp it with my Sansamp into a GK MB150. It's currently strung with Corellis which were new in 2008, and sounds very pleasing.
There's a very robust, almost new case with it (Tontrager I think) too.

More pictures here; [url="http://www.pbase.com/bassworm/bass_stuff"]http://www.pbase.com/bassworm/bass_stuff[/url]

Looking for around £1000 or trade for a Steinberger CR4/4M possibly. I'm in Hertfordshire, near St Albans if anyone wants to try it out.

Cheers all,
Mike.

• 3 months later...

That looks to me like a Hungarian made, wood front, ply back and sides, 'Golden Strad' model imported by Boosey and Hawkes in the 50s and 60s.
I had one, great boomy sound for a small bodied and very light bass.
Nice bass.