Why become a member? ×

Danelectro Basses

lanark

Well I recently bought a Danelctro Longhorn "dead on '58". It is as light as a toy, and a little unbalanced when used standing up. Soundwise, you can get quite a lot of variation in tone with the individual tone and volume controls for the two pickups. The neck pickup is very mellow and deep, and the bridge one has got a nice barking and spangly quality. I really like its sound.
My only reservation is that come of the cheap and fun components may not be up to the job. When I took it to band practice, apart from the groans of my bandmates at the sight of a new bass, I found that I had to retune almost after every song. I admit I am extremely heavy-handed, and maybe that's just what caused it. Or maybe mine needs a proper setup before it holds the tuning etc.
But it looks proper cool, doesn't it? (...)

I purchased one brand new last year after seeing it at a stupidly low price. The Longhorn one. Really nice bass to play and has plenty of variation with its sound but like Razze06 said, its stupidly light. Feels quite unusual at first and takes a little getting use to. Not gigged it yet so can't really comment on its durability but they are a pretty fun bass.

I played on some demos about 10yrs ago and was lent one by Andy Lewis who now plays for Paul Weller. I was blown away. I think they are great for recording. Obviously not the most sturdy but if you don't throw it about in the back of a van there's no reason why one couldn't be taken on tour. I bought a 63 long scale bass last year. Not as classic as that 90s Longhorn I used but decent for what it was. I'd say I was a fan overall