Why become a member? ×

Etching stompbox enclosures

Finbar

Okay, so I want to finish off a stompbox enclosure, but don't want to just go for the painted route. Looking around for a few different solutions, I stumbled upon etching. There are some really neat etched pedals about, and I think I'm going to try it.

But does anyone know what the best kind of acid is, how much I'll need for just one pedal and a couple of test runs, and where is a good place to buy it from? As far as I can gather, I need a hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide mix?

Cheers!

Okay, well I've got hold of some blue press 'n' peel paper, and I have access to a laser printer. And with a little effort in front of a computer on my part, I can have the design to print onto it done anytime really. So that aspect of it is covered.

I'm guessing it isn't the kind of thing Maplins have in their shops? There's a medium sized Maplins in town, but I don't recall ever seeing any acid there... And when you mention it as a solution, what are you adding to it to dilute it? If it's better to have it stronger, would it be too strong if it were used neat?

• 2 weeks later...

Ferric Chloride usually comes in the form of brownish yellow crystals. Just add water to make into a solution, but add less water than is recommended on the pack.

I've used press & peel in the past, but you do need to get it hot (and I do mean really[i] properly[/i] hot) and keep it that way for quite a while or it doesn't stick all that well. Even with good adhesion, be prepared to do some touching up of your mask. Enamel paint works well for this.

A