Why become a member? ×

Fender P pup position

Ou7shined

I need to accurately position a pup for a build I'm doing.
Could you guys with Fender Precisions post the distance in mm from the centre of the 20th fret to the centre of the E/A pup poles please?*

Also does anyone know if the position ever changed over the course of time?
It might be interesting if those that post their dimensions also post their model and year to see if a pattern emerges.

*Alternatively, does anyone have a link for Fender P scale plans/drawings? I've tried googling but could only find [url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0190116C/SD0190116CPg1.pdf"]these[/url] pretty useless things.

Cheers.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='739952' date='Feb 9 2010, 01:34 PM']Could you guys with Fender Precisions post the distance in mm from the centre of the 20th fret to the centre of the E/A pup poles please?

Also does anyone know if the position ever changed over the course of time?[/quote]
I'll measure my 08/09 up this evening. But I bet Howard the Bass Doc knows the distance off the top of his head. :) And he'll certainly know the answer to the question of changing position.

Paging Howard!

I recall an internet posting which showed how the J pup's position had changed on PJ basses (or perhaps even J basses too, I'm not sure). I don't remember there being anything similar about the P position.

This must be true, because:

1. I read it on the interweb
2. I remember it that way.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='740564' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:16 AM']:rolleyes:

I'm getting more reports of 121mm from elsewhere.

Trawling the statistics I think I see a pattern forming here.

I have done what I need to do now so thanks everyone for your assistance.

Keep 'em coming though let's see if we can turn up a [b]rouge[/b] model.[/quote]

Fiesta Rouge? Should be pretty easy ..... :)

Hi guys,

Not totally relevant to the OP - but I thought you might be interested in seeing that, on my Fender Power Jazz Bass Special (1989) the P pup is actually the 'wrong way round' in comparison to 'normal' P basses!

The picture is of an old rig set up - maybe a rig I should never have sold! But that's another story!!!

[quote name='dood' post='740900' date='Feb 10 2010, 12:38 PM']Hi guys,

Not totally relevant to the OP - but I thought you might be interested in seeing that, on my Fender Power Jazz Bass Special (1989) the P pup is actually the 'wrong way round' in comparison to 'normal' P basses!

The picture is of an old rig set up - maybe a rig I should never have sold! But that's another story!!![/quote]
Actually, not as irrelevant as you might think Dooder. [url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/pingray024.jpg"]hint[/url] :brow:

Did they keep the 121mm position?

[i]edit : fixed link[/i]

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Sibob' post='740915' date='Feb 10 2010, 12:53 PM']If they did, it would be on the D & G strings instead wouldn't it!?[/quote]
By eye, the E/A unit looks to be around the normal position, so the D/G unit has basically "jumped" over the E/A and ended up much closer to the neck. I stand ready to be corrected!

• 1 month later...

I have a cheap eBay 24 fret PJ bass (looks similar to a ibanez PJ i have seen) which im about to mod and the P is backwards but the DG is 135mm away from the 20th fret and the EA is 165mm away from the 20th fret. I also measured the DG 727mm from the nut and the EA 757mm from the nut. Could i get some measurements from the nut from anyone else?

NOTE: thought i would add this to this thread instead of making my own as it may also help Ou7shined

[quote name='dood' post='740900' date='Feb 10 2010, 01:38 PM']Not totally relevant to the OP - but I thought you might be interested in seeing that, on my Fender Power Jazz Bass Special (1989) the P pup is actually the 'wrong way round' in comparison to 'normal' P basses![/quote]

In my eyes that is the right way round. I prefer a revered P p/up gives far better highs