Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB751

TGEvans

[quote name='TGEvans' post='743350' date='Feb 12 2010, 06:09 PM']Anyone got one? How much do they differ from the 750? And can they do the Orange/Matamp drive business?T[/quote]

personally i'd get a 750, the 751's dnt differ that much ive heard, they've just switched all the effects loop and foot pedal stuff to the front? and my 750 can def get a similar sound to my old orange ad140b, but has alot more clean headroom! like a ridiculous amount!

andy

I have a DB750, not a 751 but can say with some confidence that the latter really doesn't do the Matamp/Orange tone. There's a lot of discussion of the difference between 750/751 over on Talkbass (I suspect the US has many more users than the UK). Just quickly, I believe the 751 has a more tweakable (possibly active) eq with different shelving especially for the mids. It's also slightly cheaper than a 750 - some believe that production costs have been reduced (less hand-building required, some less expensive components, loss of the 'vintage aesthetic'). I really can't comment on tone (different, better, worse) other than to say the core sound of the DB amps is clean, urgent and fat - never really gritty even when driven very hard. Another consideration is cabs - the DBs don't appear to pair particularly well with some very modern, hi-fi cabs (for example, Epifani). Having said that, I use a ul112 and haven't had any problems (at lower volumes)

[quote name='lozbass' post='743799' date='Feb 13 2010, 10:45 AM']Ha - I see 0175westwood29 disagrees on 750 tone - he should know as he's had an Orange (I've only used them, 'never owned one). I suppose I should have indicated tnat it's important to try an Agi for yourself[/quote]

you have to really tweak the setting but i got really close!

may have something to do with my 610 maybe? but at high volume it can get gritty for sure.

andy

Hi there

I am no expert on amps & cabs I just like what my ears translate.
I had a Epifani 502 which was recently swapped with a Fender guitar. I found the sound too harsh @ high volumes and not warm.
I now have a DB750 paired with MPP-2 pre-amp, connected to Epifani 4x10 & T-212, now that is warm & clean with lots of headroom.I can honestly say it is like playing a bass in a studio enviroment.It also shows up the quality of your bass.
So, if you decide to buy an Agular DB750 you will not be making a mistake.

yybass
:)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='TGEvans' post='745037' date='Feb 14 2010, 05:50 PM']I gigged a db 680 for a few years and thought it was great.I will need a new high powered head in the not too distant future and it I will be going for either the 750 or 751 me thinks!thanks for all the info guys.T[/quote]

The DB751 has quieter fans compared to the DB750 and the sound is slightly smoother, but still delivers a punch and I don't regret for one minute giving up my Epifani 502. :)

Edited by yybass

[quote name='yybass' post='789746' date='Mar 29 2010, 06:45 PM']The DB751 has quieter fans compared to the DB750 and the sound is slightly smoother, but still delivers a punch and I don't regret for one minute giving up my Epifani 502. :)[/quote]

yeh the fan is loud on my 750 but i can live with it, glad the 751 sounds similar to the 750 tho as that sounds awesome!

andy