Why become a member? ×

Now stick with me for just a bit...

mgibson

This is going to sound wierd but fir me one of the things that has helped me most with my playing is a book of Bach transcriptions. They should be for cello but it's easy to put them onto bass. They have everything, the pieces, moving all over the place rythic varitions as well as bits with no rythmic varition where you have to be absolutley sure of your consitancy at a moderate to quick pace and be sure that your right hand is spot on for iontation and so on. If you have had the delight of playing these pieces then I would say it's well worth it.

[quote name='owen' post='746602' date='Feb 16 2010, 12:18 AM']JS Bach's bass lines rule EVERYONE else's bass lines. EVER.

I will fight anyone who says differently.[/quote]

Ermm.. Me?

Nevermind that enthusiasm, its all good. Well, in most cases..

Edited by Faithless

JS Bach's works (or any "classical" composer's works) are great for improving your harmonic and melodic knowledge, and musicians have been practicing JS Bach stuff for a very long time, so he must have been doing something right!
The only caveat is that don't ever record them and put them on YouTube. There's nothing worse than an electric bass player fumbling their way through yet another Prelude from Cello Suite No.1 in G :) It sounds crap and no matter how good your tone or dexterity, you'll never get the level of dynamics and expression that a good cellist can achieve. Better to use the music to add something to your own playing imho