Why become a member? ×

How Can You Justify Spending £5,350 on a New Bass??

xilddx

I've got 3 G1 GUS guitars and a GUS G3 Bass (the white one in the pictures above actually) and after 30 years of playing pretty much everything from bog standard up to custom shop stuff in both guitars and basses I would never go back to playing any of them ever again. GUS's cost more, but not that much more than a lot of rehashes of a 50 year old design that wasn't that great to start with.

technically i've owned a kopo too :)

[quote name='silddx' post='755397' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:02 PM']Finally, you have explained your point clearly. I agree too, it's a good, if obvious, point. However, as far as we can tell, and it's by no means conclusive because of the silent majority here, BigRedX is the only person of Basschat's nearly 9,000 members to have ownership of a Gus bass, and as far as I know I am almost the only member to have owned a Kopo and a Wilkins. Does that mean anything? I don't know.[/quote]

Yes its the cream one. I've played it. Exquisite. I'm in the process of house selling and have told Simon Farmer that if its still for sale when I've got some cash left after the sale its mine. I'd then get him to defret my white one so I've then got one of each.

Since this thread has been resurrected and I've actually managed to see the review for myself now, I thought I'd address a few of the more recent comments, particularly about the extras. Firstly the fingerboard and headstock veneer. Looking at the photos the fingerboard it appears to be a rather fancy piece of bird-eye maple something that would be an upcharge on most custom instrument. As for the headstock veneer I would imagine that this is where most of the cost comes from as unlike a conventional all-wood bass fitting the veneer (and it is a quite substantial looking piece) involves a fairly major design change due the way the instrument is made. The whole bass is cedar wrapped in 2.5mm Carbon Fibre and the skin is added in a mould/vacuum system. Make the veneer fit the headstock has to be formed thinner than it would be normally - it's not just a question of planing a millimetre or two of the face...

Hope that makes sense.