Why become a member? ×

Set Up For Gibson SG Bass???????

Oggy

Hi Chaps,

After much agonizing and many visits to loads of music shops I've done it - bought the Short Scale :lol: .

I went for the Gibson SG Standard, Heritage Cherry: [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-sg-standard-bass-guitar-heritage-cherry--64013"]This One[/url].

The setup - action and intonation, needs a wee bit of adjusting (action a tad to high and intonation a tad out) and I also want to put a set of medium weight flat-wound strings on her. (I play mostly Blues and Blues/Rock hence the flat-wounds, no slapping and popping done here, wouldn't know where to start :rolleyes:).

Would any member who has done the above give me a little advice on the best make of strings to use and point me at any documentation to help with adjusting the action height and intonation. I've changed strings, altered the action and intonation on my Cort Bass and on the Gibson Les Paul Bass that I own, but the SG Bass has a bit of a peculiar bridge as well as the intonation screw adjustments are done from the pickup side :) .

If you guys think it would be wiser to get it done by a professional luther please can someone in the North London / Hertfordshire (WD6) area point me at a good one, I don't want to stuff it up but feel that I should be able to do the more 'everyday' things - I wouldn't go near a truss rod if you paid me.

Thanks Guys.

Oggy :lol:

Very nice! I've got Rotosound TruBass (the black, nylon wound ones) on my short scale Epi EB and it sounds and feels fantastic. As for adjustments, fit the strings you want first then decide whether you need to sort out the action. If you've done it before it shouldn't cause you any problems - the Gibson 3 point works in pretty much the same way as any other - you just have to compromise on string height. Have a twiddle - just use the correct size screwdrivers!!!!!