Why become a member? ×

Double Basses

Mr Bassman

Don't know if a d.b. thread exists already.

From left to right are my modern Hungarian, Kolstein Travel Bass and old French bass.

I just got the Kolstein last week and I can't put it down.
It's sound and volume are unbelievable.

[attachment=43449:DSC03579.JPG]

Edited by Mr Bassman

Rescued from scrapping and £360 later -

It's Romanian, it's solid wood and it's from the 70's (possibly) and I can't play it very well, but with practice and help from Jake, I'll get there.

My 2010 musical goal, is to gig this thing....!

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='farmer61' post='756015' date='Feb 24 2010, 12:52 PM']Rescued from scrapping and £360 later -

It's Romanian, it's solid wood and it's from the 70's (possibly) and I can't play it very well, but with practice and help from Jake, I'll get there.

My 2010 musical goal, is to gig this thing....![/quote]

Glad you managed to save her, she's a nice looker!

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='756078' date='Feb 24 2010, 01:51 PM']Glad you managed to save her, she's a nice looker![/quote]

It's nice and on Jakes recommendations I put some Silver Slap strings on which are really easy to play, at the end of the day it's a £1000 odd DB, so not in the league of a lot of gear on here, but because of it's history there's already some sentimental value to it.

I found it in a music room battered and bruised and ready for the skip, the room was actually one of my old class rooms of my secondary school from nearly 30 years ago....long story but it's a great starting point for me.

Btw your gear looks really cool!!!!

Haha i love how the "travel bass" is bigger than almost every electric bass guitar around. It's not exactly something i would stick in my hand luggage but i suppose i'm just not in the right spirit of things eh? I did try picking up the DB ages ago but i could never get my head round to practicing it, maybe i'll get one when i'm older or something.

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='756297' date='Feb 24 2010, 06:04 PM']few ideas. Hoping to get it sorted soon :-)
will add to the post when do :-)[/quote]

I'll have to find a new home for one of mine soon, probably the German flatback.

I'd like to keep it but I promised Mrs Bassman I'd sell something if she let me have the Kolstein!

No current pics but here's one of my Bulgarian fully carved 5 string from when I got it- was still to be set up. I could barely fit the box in the hall.

Not been played nearly as much as it deserves since then unfortunately, and it needs a new bridge as the old one has warped to the extent that I'm getting strings rattling :)

Edited by velvetkevorkian

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='756302' date='Feb 24 2010, 06:10 PM']I'll have to find a new home for one of mine soon, probably the German flatback.

I'd like to keep it but I promised Mrs Bassman I'd sell something if she let me have the Kolstein![/quote]

[attachment=43480:DSC02576.JPG]

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='758642' date='Feb 26 2010, 09:20 PM']Im too ashamed to post picks of mine, its bright orange.

Hopefully ill have the money for my new Double bass by my birthday and can buy a nice looking nice playing, nice sounding one.

Some lovely instruments on here though. Im ragin with jealousy.[/quote]

Don't be ashamed!

Be proud that you have an upright!