Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

11 hours ago, bremen said:

Just found this thread.

I posted elsewhere that I've cloned the sansamp bass driver and have a couple of spare boards, anyone want one? £0

20240821_210336.jpg

That looks cool - which version? And 1590bb?

This one.

Yes, 1590bb.

It works, haven't compared it to a real one but I've heard the original described along the lines of "adding a bit if ampeg type grit". Does that, works as a preamp when used with a slave, or an effect when used in front of a bass amp.

09_285_05_tech21_sansamp_bass_driver_di_v2_schematic.png

Edited by bremen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bremen said:

This one.

What is 1590bb?

It works, haven't compared it to a real one but I've heard the original described along the lines of "adding a bit if ampeg type grit". Does that, works as a preamp when used with a slave, or an effect when used in front of a bass amp.

09_285_05_tech21_sansamp_bass_driver_di_v2_schematic.png

Enclosure size - 120x94mm

17 hours ago, bremen said:

Just found this thread.

I posted elsewhere that I've cloned the sansamp bass driver and have a couple of spare boards, anyone want one? £0

20240821_210336.jpg

It's hard to tell scale, are the smd resistors/caps mostly 0805?

23 hours ago, bremen said:

Just found this thread.

20240821_210336.jpg

Now that is nice work. 

I’ve just designed and made my first SMT board for 22 years. I can’t believe I used to do this stuff without a magnifier. (and a proper lab with expert technicians to do things too fiddly for the design engineers!)

On 22/08/2024 at 20:33, bremen said:

Mostly 0805 yes. Some of the caps are 0603 - I looked for what was cheapest available C0G from Mouser.

That's fine, should still be doable by hand - I'm very tempted to give one a try, how did you assemble it without a silkscreen, have you got a BOM with a key to the footprints?

23 hours ago, bremen said:

I had the altium schematic and board on screen. I can make assembly drawing pdfs if you want to have a go.

I wouldn't want to put you out, the schematic and PCB layout should be enough, don't have altium but should be able to get them into KiCad - if you don't mind sending me the files I'll happily take a PCB, been a while since I've done a fully SMT board, should be an interesting challenge.

Back to EQ pedals lately, as I wrap up my Github open source respository.

Very old battery powered NAMM  build repurposed:

nmmbx.jpg.2b0a504d813dd9922c9eb50be557451b.jpg

Another old one brought up to current 4 knob specs:

Vi.png.11a7be02c9a7eae9d30ce1e779e4a979.png

4 knobs but with fixed frequency HPF embedded:

MantisWhite.jpg.66b05e30d26f7f4b4df3a6bb7257175a.jpg

And then my first battery powered six knob job, using OPA205 and OPA2205 low current opamps:

Four.jpg.ced265041bba98cd08e17fde5c4411d6.jpg

I've also  been revisiting my older through-hole compact ones, which fit in a smaller 125 enclosure and are a much quicker build since everything is on one board:

Two.jpg.f0df12edeeb018c027cc55050b0b172c.jpg

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 2

What PCB prototyping services have people used recently? I traced the fuzzrocious heliotropic years ago and i couldn't remember how it sounded so I breadboarded it this weekend and it's great. Bit unwieldy for stripboard but I've knocked a PCB together in kiCad. $37 for 3 from oshpark. Will I get cheaper than that? I know years ago oshpark was pretty much the only game in town but I know a few other prototyping services have popped up.

I know Digikey do it but as an employee of Farnell I can't give money to the enemy...

6 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

What PCB prototyping services have people used recently? I traced the fuzzrocious heliotropic years ago and i couldn't remember how it sounded so I breadboarded it this weekend and it's great. Bit unwieldy for stripboard but I've knocked a PCB together in kiCad. $37 for 3 from oshpark. Will I get cheaper than that? I know years ago oshpark was pretty much the only game in town but I know a few other prototyping services have popped up.

I know Digikey do it but as an employee of Farnell I can't give money to the enemy...

I’ve used Elecrow you can use the prototyping service and 10pcb costs about £5 posted - takes ages and you have to get the kicad file right. (Tip standard hole size is not big enough for diy pedals!) 

Jlcpcb is so cheap, fast and such good quality that I suspect they're a loss leader for some sinister purpose.

So user-friendly too, upload the gerbils (I'll let that one in 😄) and you get a preview so you know you've not forgotten a layer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bremen said:

Jlcpcb is so cheap, fast and such good quality that I suspect they're a loss leader for some sinister purpose.

So user-friendly too, upload the gerbils (I'll let that one in 😄) and you get a preview so you know you've not forgotten a layer.

Okay yeah £2.68 for 5 PCBs delivered feels like it shouldn't be profitable. I used to be a buyer for a contract manufacturer and that's not far off the wholesale/volume prices we used to pay with negotiated discounts... 

Anybody fancy a heliotropic PCB when they arrive? I can post the schematic when I'm home, but it's basically a modified Muff (no clipping on the 2nd gain stage) that goes straight into a preamp/boost with a Muff tonestack.

Edit - apologies, £3.60 for Lead Free HASL. Still cheaper than some coffee's i've bought recently...

Edited by bobbass4k

10 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

Okay yeah £2.68 for 5 PCBs delivered feels like it shouldn't be profitable. I used to be a buyer for a contract manufacturer and that's not far off the wholesale/volume prices we used to pay with negotiated discounts... 

Anybody fancy a heliotropic PCB when they arrive? I can post the schematic when I'm home, but it's basically a modified Muff (no clipping on the 2nd gain stage) that goes straight into a preamp/boost with a Muff tonestack.

Edit - apologies, £3.60 for Lead Free HASL. Still cheaper than some coffee's i've bought recently...

Yup, will have a Heliotropic PCB off you 🙂

Cheers

Si