Why become a member? ×

For sale subforum - shouldn't people have to put their location up?

XB26354

FWIW i think an optional template is a great idea. it wouldn't take too long for someone who knows what they're doing to make, then a moderator could sticky it in the for sale section, then we can choose to copy and paste it if we so desire.

i think a suprising amount of people would use it, i know i would.

[quote name='Tait' post='759306' date='Feb 27 2010, 06:21 PM']FWIW i think an optional template is a great idea. it wouldn't take too long for someone who knows what they're doing to make, then a moderator could sticky it in the for sale section, then we can choose to copy and paste it if we so desire.

i think a suprising amount of people would use it, i know i would.[/quote]

+1 - helps both the buyers and sellers

[quote name='Tait' post='759306' date='Feb 27 2010, 06:21 PM']FWIW i think an optional template is a great idea. it wouldn't take too long for someone who knows what they're doing to make, then a moderator could sticky it in the for sale section, then we can choose to copy and paste it if we so desire.

You mean something like this?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76324"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76324[/url]

I have been meaning to sort something out in the ways of the template. Probably add location onto the template as well, or put something in the delivery section.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='759433' date='Feb 27 2010, 09:18 PM']You mean something like this?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76324"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76324[/url]

I have been meaning to sort something out in the ways of the template. Probably add location onto the template as well, or put something in the delivery section.[/quote]

thats exactly the sort of thing i'd use. you could put bullet points under each one on the template, to clarify what goes in that section, and to remind people to put things like location etc. into it.

and nice bass by the way, loving the whole battered-up-stealth look.

while it's a good idea don't forget we are talking about people who can't be bothered to type a one or two word location in their adds, can we really expect them to go to all that trouble?

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='759075' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:26 PM']Exactly. I'm not much for changing forum rules to compel people to publish [i]any[/i] personal details simply to avoid a minor inconvenience to other members. As for paranoid? Maybe. Or maybe not.

FWIW, there this guy I know, who's posted pics of his (£60,000) collection of les pauls, es-335's etc on a guitar site, with a link to his own website. His forum profile shows he lives in x-town. But he's ex-directory and there's no address on his site so he think's he's safe.

A quick who-is search on his domain name shows a full street address in x-town. The location on the forum helps me to confirm it's his home address, not his hosting company. Ah, there it is on streetmap. A careful scrutiny of the front of his house shows no sign of a burglar alarm box.

And he's posted on the guitar site that he's off to Majorca with the missus and kids next week.

Remember, we're not the only ones who read this forum. There's a balance to be struck between security concerns, however excessive, and ease of purchase. Hamster's got it right - education not compulsion.[/quote]

I agree with you. However posting generally where he lives won't give you any more info than you've obtained from the above. If people put links to their personal details on posts then that's up to them. Plenty of people do, and that's arguably a bigger privacy/security risk than saying you're from London, Yorkshire or even a general geographical area like "The South East" or "The North West". I do like the idea of an optional template as well.

At the end of the day I guess it's the seller that loses out if the put no location, photos or accurate description.

I can't understand why you wouldn't put your location. It's the single most annoying piece of information that's missing from loads of ads. A bass isn't the easiest thing to stick in the post and being within reasonable striking distance (or not) can make all the difference.

I don't get this thing about security - even the county would do the trick and it's only reducing your personal security if you're on the run from the law or the bailiffs. I think if you are outside the UK you should *definitely* be required to say where you are because this does make a big difference to the complexity of the potential transaction.

While we're at it can we ban "no offers" too :) That just tempts me to PM them with a 50% offer, just to be a twat!!

Edited by thepurpleblob