Why become a member? ×

Fretless Jazz neck

niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='760651' date='Mar 1 2010, 01:49 PM']No but thanks I'll have a look :)[/quote]
Warmoth and Allparts will sell you a lined ebony fretless although you're looking at 3-400 quid. There are allot more options if you were to go for rosewood (you could have a defret or have the choice of loads of relatively cheap Ebay necks), but as an (ex) Ebony fretless player, I know there ain't nothin' like an ebony board.

If it's any consolation I got so fed up with looking for a fretless maple neck for my Precision I ended up making one.

Here's one I made earlier :rolleyes:

I'll be selling an unlined A-width Jazz neck in a week or so Homer. It's a modified '73 with original tuners and binding, recently overhauled by Paul Herman. It's been on my main gigging fretless for a year and is a real dream to play (it's the only neck, fretted or fretless, on which I can play 'Rhythm Stick'). However, I'm currently playing in a '71 B-width Precision fretless neck, so once I know I'm happy with that, the Jazz neck will be going. It'll be reasonably priced also, and will of course have resale value if you don't get on with it.

C

[quote name='henry norton' post='760823' date='Mar 1 2010, 03:31 PM']Warmoth and Allparts will sell you a lined ebony fretless although you're looking at 3-400 quid. If it's any consolation I got so fed up with looking for a fretless maple neck for my Precision I ended up making one.

Here's one I made earlier :)[/quote]

3-400 quid? fook that :rolleyes:

If I tried to make my own neck it'd look like a sideboard.

[quote name='Beedster' post='760844' date='Mar 1 2010, 03:54 PM']I'll be selling an unlined A-width Jazz neck in a week or so Homer. It's a modified '73 with original tuners and binding, recently overhauled by Paul Herman. It's been on my main gigging fretless for a year and is a real dream to play (it's the only neck, fretted or fretless, on which I can play 'Rhythm Stick'). However, I'm currently playing in a '71 B-width Precision fretless neck, so once I know I'm happy with that, the Jazz neck will be going. It'll be reasonably priced also, and will of course have resale value if you don't get on with it.

C[/quote]

Sounds expensive Chris - and tricky too with no lines on it. I think the Reggie has to go sadly which is a real shame cos I love it but, having just blown a wad on my holiday, I need it to fund a lined fretless.

I suspect an unlined neck is able to be lined? I guess it's just the same as fretting a neck, tell me if I'm wrong! If you can find someone to do ti, you could pick the colour of the infills, which is cool, as i would go for something a bit less bright than most fretless' have. I once had a status with brown lines and it looked great!

Status is another option, about £350, that would be my neck of choice!

Tony

+1 to the Status graphite neck - I have a P-Bass unlined fretless neck on a jazz bass of mine and it is the dogs danglies. I'd say it is a B-spec width rather than a big chunky C-spec - so not as traumatic for those coming from a Jazz bass.

These guys are worth a try - [url="http://www.edenhaus.com/bass.htm"]http://www.edenhaus.com/bass.htm[/url] - got a nice ash Jazz bass body from them. Would seriously consider getting a body and neck from them to build a bass of my own too.

You can always try E-bay.

Finally - why not go see Mr Shuker on how to build a bass of your own - [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/course.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/course.htm[/url] - I could get seriously tempted !