Why become a member? ×

A Revelation (of minor proportions)

Musicman69

Hey good people,
Just a quick note referring to the merits of good hard practice.
Im 41 been playing bass over 25 yrs but around 6 months ago decided to try to take it a bit more seriously. I went to a top guy here in Dublin (Bill Bergin.. Ace!) Had some lessons and then started a practice regime, usually 2 hrs a day. Major work done on my lazy fingerstyle with right hand and general work on my stamina also. I play with 2 bands, do allsorts. You name it.
But last nite doing a sit down 3 piece gig it all just started to come to the surface.. I couldnt believe the stuff I started playing! Fast 16ths, Prestia style (Ill never be nearly as good as Rocco!). Lots of melodic riffs and just my own stuff but tight and in control. Must add that the drummer was really nailing it.
Sometimes when you practise it doesnt really seem like youre making headway but yes, keep it up and you'll get the same payoff.
O yea!!
John

Edited by Musicman69

I love to read posts like this - I've found that one of the great things about playing music is that you really do get back what you put in, but multiplied. I try to pass this onto my students, and it's great to hear another example of it working in practice. Sure, people have varying degrees of inbuilt talent, but the only way to really nail something is with some graft.

Also so true about the practice really coming out when your musicianship is liberated by playing with good musicians.

Inspiring stuff.

Jennifer