Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

23 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I got paid 100 bucks plus 75 dollars in tips.

Before we left the owner gave each of us a rack of barbecue ribs.

And that's the difference between gig in the States and gigs here; it would have cost me 175 bucks to do the gig and I'd have had to have bought my own ribs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

And that's the difference between gig in the States and gigs here; it would have cost me 175 bucks to do the gig and I'd have had to have bought my own ribs!

Jack, believe me we have plenty of places that aren't intoto comping food.

And to be honest I think we might have held the owner up for the ribs. Lol

I had 1 comped diet coke.

Daryl

20240601_165335.jpg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Afternoon charity gig…classic car show in Wisbech at the Five Bells supporting East Anglia Air Ambulance. Cool weather, but a good crowd and the pub staff was excellent. I was really happy with the new cabs…really good even with no PA feed. Trace Elliot GP12smx, Genz Benz Focus 1x12 cabs, Fender Jazz 24.

IMG_6750.jpeg

IMG_6751.jpeg

IMG_6749.jpeg

IMG_6748.jpeg

The rig looks great. I have always heard good things about Trace Elliot amps.

Daryl

Not long back from a fun afternoon at Ellon Gala.  A truck trailer gig, yes - haven't done one in ages!  It was dry, was sunny when we arrived but clouded over a little later.  Wasn't super busy but part of the reason was that the bar area was away from the stage a bit and folk weren't allowed to take drinks out of the assigned area (licensing reasons, I presume).  We heard later that folk in there really enjoyed our set, so that was good.  It was just fun to play outside though and I think we did well.  Remarkably it went pretty much to schedule, only started 5 mins late and had to chop one song from the set - I'm gonna call that a win!

Bass was my Wunkay, through my trusty tone cubes (Markbass Mini CMD 121P IV and New York 121)

20240602EllonGala1.jpg.a8e56125791b86e8507c80b352181acd.jpg

20240602EllonGala2.thumb.jpg.78712fecb11f0e3b1d2ea9dfd228f2c3.jpg

• Like 16

On 29/05/2024 at 09:17, dmccombe7 said:

Its annoying when we learn a new song we just add it to the set rather than drop one out and keeping the sets approx 1hr each.

Both my bands suffer from this issue. In a few yrs i'll be doing 4hr sets if things don't change.

I've always thought 2 off 1hr sets is ideal. It leaves an audience wanting more. Too long they get bored.

Dave

On 29/05/2024 at 09:21, MichaelDean said:

That is annoying. It can be useful to have some songs ready to go if an extra song or two is needed, or just to vary the set a bit so you don't get bored.

On 29/05/2024 at 10:38, dmccombe7 said:

That was the original selling point, to vary the set but now they just include them and you are back where you started with "we need to learn some new songs as a back up"

Annoys me a lot.

Dave

It's also annoying when you learn a song, get it worked up thinking "this'll go well" and it get a blank look at every gig & ends up getting dropped after 2 or 3 tries. Had that with Killer Queen. Good slightly rocked up version based loosley  on the Jorn version. Got tumbleweed every time😡

Ours tends to be work up a new one to replace stuff that we've been doing for ages so as to mix ix up but the older songs go and we end up with with the newer ones all the time - that said more recently they have been better known covers guaranteed to get them dancing & singing and it's them difficult to slot older songs back in once in a while :facepalm:

Finally, we operate to a single veto so if someone doesn't want to do a song then that's it.  Had a few where that's happened, not from me as I am a musical whooer and will give pretty much anything a chance & go with the flow. Most recently I could take or leave "I Love Rock & Roll". A nothing song, but always works at the end of the night. It's 2 minutes, and a POP to play so 'whatevaaaah' 😁

• Like 4

Friday night played a small but friendly pub for the 10th anniversary of the landlady taking over.

Not a great deal of space and a nasty hum for a while, eventually traced to the drummers fan that was right next to me.

Sound was good but I completely lost the bass at the start of the second set. Coming through the PA, but for some reason not my IEM's. I had had to turn the amp right down for the first set and can only assume that I knocked the master when we went back on, but why it disappeared from my IEM's when it was in the PA was beyond me. Turned the master up and the bass came back but was too loud so initially barely touching the bass (because the sound I was getting was great). Eventually rolled the level back on the bass and everything settled down.

Otherwise a good night with a singing, dancing crowd so... 

Alibi berkley.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks! I started with the full rig..4x10 that weighed about 80 pounds plus a 1x15….I’ve done 2 gigs now with the pair of 2x12’s and like the sound and the portability. The Trace head reminds me of the MusicMan HD head I had in my younger days in Nebraska. Same amazing sound!

The rig looks great. I have always heard good things about Trace Elliot amps.

Daryl

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, paddy109 said:

Bands first gig yesterday. Daytime special at Warminster Bandstand. It was a tad breezy which cramped us all up but it was a fun gig to set the scene of others to come.IMG-20240601-WA0000.thumb.jpg.bf37ef0204e38c3cf0df2b77a8af1488.jpg

I love that your socks match your stand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Just sitting at Warwick services putting some electrons in the car after an epic weekend. This playing music malarkey is quite fun isn’t it :D

Friday and Saturday I was at Epsom Derby in the Family Festival area, playing 5 sets each day with Boogie Monsters, playing on the main stage entertaining the kids and adults who were gracing us with their presence. Friday was cold and a bit wet to begin with, so my fingers started blistering pretty quickly. I switched over to playing with a pick which was somewhere between a disaster and absolutely fine depending on the songs we were playing… but is was great fun - all the crew are brilliant and I hope we get to go back for a third year next year.

Saturday night I then played with my pub rock covers band, Wednesday’s Child, in Dorking. That was ace. Loud, sweaty and raucous. One of my best mates from school, and a lurker here I think, was in attendance as was @reggieboomboom . I don’t think I embarrassed myself too much, certainly nothing like some of the Epsom playing 🤪 Got home 1am.

This morning I got up 7am to drive to Liverpool with the drummer from Wednesday’s Child, who’s also Katy Hurt’s drummist. We played a very civilised but great fun gig at Strawberry Fields. Was a short but sweet set but we all had fun and I got to meet @jimmyb625 at the end which was ace. Lovely guy, great to meet you!

Hopefully home by midnight ready to come back down to earth with a horrific bump with a full 5 day week at work, then another gig next weekend. Wouldn’t change it for the world. (Except maybe the work bit… ;) )

Edited by Merton
Smelling pistakes
  • Like 17
  • Haha 2

Played with my blues power trio The Andy Wales Blues Band at Leicester’s Riverside Festival on Sunday. 

Two-day festival but we lucked out by getting the hot sunny day yay. Took my Markbass LM2, 1x12 and 2x10 traveller cabs and my number one Yamaha BB604 which was punchy and growly. 

No pics yet as I lost track of everyone who I knew in the audience immediately afterwards so I couldn’t ask. Thankfully one kind soul sent me this which gives a rough idea. 

f849cbf5-4df0-4a0e-b16a-7ec743690281.jpeg

• Like 16

Last weekend we did an afternoon set at The Bull in Horley for their annual bands and bbq event. Was disappointed to realise that we started at the same time as the FA Cup final kicked off but it went well including easing our new, soon to be, lead vocalist in with half a dozen numbers. Plus a photographer snapped a nice pic of my bass (and me!) 

Bull 2024_0162~2_Original.jpeg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, SuperSeagull said:

Last weekend we did an afternoon set at The Bull in Horley for their annual bands and bbq event. Was disappointed to realise that we started at the same time as the FA Cup final kicked off but it went well including easing our new, soon to be, lead vocalist in with half a dozen numbers. Plus a photographer snapped a nice pic of my bass (and me!) 

Bull 2024_0162~2_Original.jpeg

Oooh that is a nice looking bass.

Dave

• Like 2

Well just home and having a coffee and biccies after a wee gig in The Cave in Paisley near Glasgow. 1hr motorway drive so an easy one plus a 6-9pm spot makes an early home time afterwards.

Its a regular for Emergency Exit punk covers band and when we sound checked we had approx 10-15 peoples in. Within a few songs it was busy. Lots of applause and people bopping away around the pub and lots of people staring at us (i'm hoping in awe but maybe disgust :laugh1:)

Went down well, we played well and a few good comments at the end about my bass playing. "f***ing brilliant bass playing mate" .

Used the Sandberg MarloweDK tonight into my Handbox WB-100 and Mesa SW210/115 cabs. Was sounding pretty good.

Dave

• Like 13

14 hours ago, Merton said:

Just sitting at Warwick services putting some electrons in the car after an epic weekend. This playing music malarkey is quite fun isn’t it :D

Friday and Saturday I was at Epsom Derby in the Family Festival area, playing 5 sets each day with Boogie Monsters, playing on the main stage entertaining the kids and adults who were gracing us with their presence. Friday was cold and a bit wet to begin with, so my fingers started blistering pretty quickly. I switched over to playing with a pick which was somewhere between a disaster and absolutely fine depending on the songs we were playing… but is was great fun - all the crew are brilliant and I hope we get to go back for a third year next year.

Saturday night I then played with my pub rock covers band, Wednesday’s Child, in Dorking. That was ace. Loud, sweaty and raucous. One of my best mates from school, and a lurker here I think, was in attendance as was @reggieboomboom . I don’t think I embarrassed myself too much, certainly nothing like some of the Epsom playing 🤪 Got home 1am.

This morning I got up 7am to drive to Liverpool with the drummer from Wednesday’s Child, who’s also Katy Hurt’s drummist. We played a very civilised but great fun gig at Strawberry Fields. Was a short but sweet set but we all had fun and I got to meet @jimmyb625 at the end which was ace. Lovely guy, great to meet you!

Hopefully home by midnight ready to come back down to earth with a horrific bump with a full 5 day week at work, then another gig next weekend. Wouldn’t change it for the world. (Except maybe the work bit… ;) )

Great to meet you as well, it sounded ace.

• Like 2

So second gig of the weekend at the glorious Old Fox in Felling (on the Gateshead side of the river Tyne close to Newcastle for those born in the south). This is a proper music venue pub, with live music on four or five times a week. The Sunday afternoon slot is a coveted slot because you are almost guaranteed a full pub, and a full pub of music lovers. This could not have been more different to our Friday night gig, and we all played so much better. Our usual eclectic mix of country, Americana, and blues went down a storm with the enthusiastic crowd. Gear-wise, my trusty old Ashdown ABM 1x15 Neo combo, EBS Stanley Clarke, MicroThumpinator, and my fretless Tony Franklin Precision and NS NXT EUB. More compliments on the sound so I must finally be getting to grips with the old PA malarkey (I’ve only been doing it for twenty plus years 😂). A busy three gigs in eight days have bedded new guitarist Steve in nicely (for a band that only plays around 20 gigs a year). 

IMG_0221.jpeg

• Like 19

Posted (edited)
On 02/06/2024 at 14:02, Bassfinger said:

Right bunch of piss heads last night. Silly little boys that drinking pith weak lager and and are wobblier than John Inman's wrist after 2 pints.

One got up on stage and tried to sing into my mic, earning him by best Rugby style hand-off to the face. He clearly didn't like it, but at a foot taller and nearly double his weight he wasn't inclined to argue the point,.

Then a few minutes later another twit tried to grab my spare bass so he could mime along.  I managed to stop him, and our singist told the bar manager that any more of that and we'd be packing up. She came on the mic and gave them a bollixing and they did calm down slightly.  

The would be bass nabber apologised as we were packing away, and said he felt like I'd been giving him the daggers all night. "That's because I was", I replied.

That's the last time we play a football club.

Against my better judgement that was kind of me on Saturday. It was the wedding of a good mate of mine, the singer in my technically-still-going-but-don't-do-much-these-days hard rock band. Thanks to the excellent Sound Cartel for loaning us some gear, even if I do have the sneaking suspicion that you just felt as though you couldn't say no to the groom. Still, the others were going to do it over my objections anyway, if you can't beat em, join 'em. Anyway, here we are trying to remember some songs we used to play. I think it's clear that I'm rather embarrassed about the whole thing and I'm trying to hide. Unlike our lead guitarist.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, JPJ said:

So second gig of the weekend at the glorious Old Fox in Felling (on the Gateshead side of the river Tyne close to Newcastle for those born in the south). This is a proper music venue pub, with live music on four or five times a week. The Sunday afternoon slot is a coveted slot because you are almost guaranteed a full pub, and a full pub of music lovers. This could not have been more different to our Friday night gig, and we all played so much better. Our usual eclectic mix of country, Americana, and blues went down a storm with the enthusiastic crowd. Gear-wise, my trusty old Ashdown ABM 1x15 Neo combo, EBS Stanley Clarke, MicroThumpinator, and my fretless Tony Franklin Precision and NS NXT EUB. More compliments on the sound so I must finally be getting to grips with the old PA malarkey (I’ve only been doing it for twenty plus years 😂). A busy three gigs in eight days have bedded new guitarist Steve in nicely (for a band that only plays around 20 gigs a year). 

IMG_0221.jpeg

Sounds like a great weekend to me.👍

Daryl

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Played The Navigation in Newark on Saturday night. Interesting place, it's a former wharf warehouse on the River Trent and was nicely full. We're a Country Rock band and it was great that a couple from Virginia USA were in and told us we'd be awesome before we started (gotta love the +ve attitude).

We launched into Folsom Prison (the song, not the jail ) and kicked off the evening. Lots of nodding and foot tapping during set 1 which ramped up in Set 2 with much singing along and shape throwing. We finished with the obligatory Sweet Home Alabama (ok, it's not really a Country song but nobody cared) and got loads of compliments post gig. Emma, our singer, had someone tell her she's exceptional.....she is to be fair 

Top night and we'll be back later in the year.

My usual Mike Lull P4 and Handbox rig did the heavy lifting IMG_20240601_195443.thumb.jpg.05861433c583dd4cbe2472b32515832a.jpgIMG_20240601_220734.thumb.jpg.615947ab0de1eaa2c16d7a885acc7f51.jpg

Edited by ricksterphil
  • Like 15

15 hours ago, Jack said:

Against my better judgement that was kind of me on Saturday. It was the wedding of a good mate of mine, the singer in my technically-still-going-but-don't-do-much-these-days hard rock band. Thanks to the excellent Sound Cartel for loaning us some gear, even if I do have the sneaking suspicion that you just felt as though you couldn't say no to the groom. Still, the others were going to do it over my objections anyway, if you can't beat em, join 'em. Anyway, here we are trying to remember some songs we used to play. I think it's clear that I'm rather embarrassed about the whole thing and I'm trying to hide. Unlike our lead guitarist.

Jesus H Trump. And that's a grown adult male! Having a laugh is one thing, but being an utter prat is quite another. You have my sympathies.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Jesus H Trump. And that's a grown adult male! Having a laugh is one thing, but being an utter prat is quite another. You have my sympathies.

I'm not sure I understand, were we THAT bad?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, JPJ said:

IMG_0221.jpeg

Is that Johnny Vegas to the right of the singer?

37 minutes ago, Jack said:

I'm not sure I understand, were we THAT bad?

Petty sure the reference is to the "dancer" in front of you guys...sound really solid to me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dclaassen said:

the reference is to the "dancer" in front

Surely you want folks enjoying the band and dancing around having fun?

Last thing you want is everyone standing as far back as possible and not moving at all, unless you're doing free jazz when you'd be most happy to have your own Min Tanaka (check him with Derek Bailey!) to temper the surfeit of polo neck chin strokers!

Or is only one type of dancing allowed, of the kind that doesn't draw too much attention to the dancer, like a dance equivalent to root-and-fifth?

Perhaps I'll have to have a word next time we're in Hereford and those mosh-boys decide they want to do the can-can like last time...

• Like 1