Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

When you mention accommodation Daryl do you mean the venue "stage" area or do you mean you stayed overnight in accommodation in the area. ?

Appreciate that distances in US are far greater than over here.

Just curious as to how far from home you guys play and if you have a limit on how far you'll go for a gig. ?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was sort of laughing at myself. Here I am going on and on about playing gigs with cool stages, lights and sound. That's what I mean by accommodations.

Last night the venue provided us with a small plot of gravel to play on. Lol The gig was in Delafield a very upscale town . Tips were very good last night.

We normally have no more than a 30 minute commute one way to gigs. Jenny & Dave usually pick me up in the van

( they don't trust me driving lol). I rarely drive to gigs.

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I think that, from the photo, we can judge that 'accommodations', this time, meant 'stage area'..! :lol:

Yes, they provided a wonderful plot of gravel for a stage.lol

Daryl

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

Yes, they provided a wonderful plot of gravel for a stage.lol

Daryl

Luxury. Sometimes it's the lower corner of a boggy field. ^_^

:lol:

• Haha 3

Or a wedding gig with a vicious sound limiter set at 'Murmur' and a polished dance floor; you could hear squeaking shoes from the dancers, and the odd cough...it was like one of those joke Tiktok vids....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 15/07/2024 at 22:14, ricksterphil said:

Speakeasy gig last Saturday for Southern Frontier was a stormer. Place was full, although it's only a capacity of 70. There was some mighty shape throwing by the crowd during set 2. Country Roads always gets everyone singing and we've added MIFLAW (clue, Shania Twain song) as last song for set 2 so everyone was up and grooving. Threw 3 originals in this time which were well received.

My goto gigrig of Mike Lull P4, Handbox R400+cab and Thumpinator did the bizzo.

The drummer from my previous band turned up and was genuinely complementary which was nice. 

IMG-20240715-WA0013.thumb.jpg.c5053f7148288da194c01ada7d5eda57.jpg

Just a follow up from this gig and on the subject of fees etc, Speakeasy have re-booked us for 2 dates next year with an increased fee with the comment that they're happy to pay more as we're 'well worth it"

Makes all the rehearsals and late night load-outs worth the effort when venue owners say things like that and back it up with their own cash.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I talk a pretty good game and probably come off like I'm trying to be a big shot. 

20240717_164841.jpg

Not something I've ever read into one of your posts. You always come across as open and genuine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I think that, from the photo, we can judge that 'accommodations', this time, meant 'stage area'..! :lol:

They travel long distances in US so you never know. They probably have one of these i bet. The Maple Road van :biggrin:

Dave

image.thumb.png.3c0597d04e2102109f99b3bf7552fc04.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Somewhat delayed report of four gigs over the last 10 days. First was with the covers band Bandwidth (not my idea) at Blakeney Harbour Rooms beer festival. It wasn’t actually raining when we set up, so they had us playing outside under a gazebo in the beer garden. The venue hired a very good sound engineer with excellent kit, so my LFSys Monza and Blackstar U700 were more than I needed. I could have used a preamp direct into the desk and I am sure Mark would have made it sound fantastic. Unfortunately, the weather intervened. It was pretty cold (around 14C) when we started and about half way through our 2 hour set, it started to rain. We decided to play through without a break. Most of the tables were occupied when we started but by the end our audience had dwindled to about 6 stoic individuals huddled together. I later learnt that this group included the ex-British High Commissioner to Nigeria, the former Financial Times Nigeria Correspondent and the former President of the Nigeria/Britain Association. Blakeney is that kind of place where the great and good retire.

Gig number two was at the Necton festival with Checkmate Kings blues band at the Necton Festival. It had been lashing down that Saturday but about an hour before were due to go on (early evening) it stopped a the Sun came out. The stage was a trailer but they had an amazing sound system with two very competent sound engineers. I had come prepared to make enough noise to be heard, which turned out to be completely unnecessary because of the amazing PA. I had my BF Two10, plus LFSys Monza stacked under a Blackstar U700, which can handle the 2.7 ohm load. We just had a one hour slot but the crowd had grown due to the sun and were appreciative. The backstage organisation was great as well, somehow turning the bands round in 15 minutes! The money was pretty generous by local standards as well. All in all an excellent gig.

Gig three was playing in the “house band” for a blues jam organised as part of the Dereham Blues Festival. I brought along the LFSys Monza and a Mark Bass LM III. Another great combination and easily able to fill the pub with bass, without having to go much above 10 o’clock on the master. It was interesting to hear the rig from the audience side during the general jam, when the house band weren’t playing. It sounded great with a number of different basses: P bass, Mustang P/J and a Jazz. We had quite a few participants and plenty of punters. Everybody seemed to enjoy themselves and there was some excellent playing. One or two oddities but overall a great night. Shame about the cricket on the massive TV behind the band! That’s pubs for you!

This brings me to gig four at the Dereham Blues Festival with Checkmate Kings. This is our third year playing at the festival and we were delighted to be given a prime slot: 9-11pm at the Kings Head on the Friday evening. The Kings Head has a massive beer garden and puts on a real ale tent plus catering during the festival. It is normally packed on the Friday of the festival but this year it lashed down. We asked the manager if we could play inside in their back room three times but they insisted on us playing outside on their fixed outside stage (it is covered). Consequently we ended up playing to about 10 people in the garden and another 20 or so in the pub (which had the garden doors open). Be careful what you wish for! On top of everything else, they have a decibel limit because of local residents complaining about noise: the complainants moved in recently, next to a pub that has been putting on live music since the 60s! We had to turn down a couple of times, so I doubt the folks in the pub could hear us that well. It turned into a paid rehearsal but the last gig for our current vocalist/guitarist. Not the greatest way to go out! No photo of that gig unsurprisingly.

ef972e34-7b7b-443f-926c-ee620e1212ce.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0233.jpeg

• Like 12

10 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Oh, you've played Henley Regatta then ?

😎

Funny

A few years ago we played an acoustic gig for a

"low end" wedding reception.  We played in the corner of the tent on grass. In a word " Glamorous " lol

Daryl

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

They travel long distances in US so you never know. They probably have one of these i bet. The Maple Road van :biggrin:

Dave

image.thumb.png.3c0597d04e2102109f99b3bf7552fc04.png

Hilarious

I'm not kidding we have a local band that somehow financed a state the art full blown touring bus.

Can you imagine showing up in that to a $400 00 gig?

Daryl

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Hilarious

I'm not kidding we have a local band that somehow financed a state the art full blown touring bus.

Can you imagine showing up in that to a $400 00 gig?

Daryl

Years ago in 80's i had a mate in a band that was sponsored by the owner of the local snooker hall and he bought the band a medium sized converted van probably what we would call a splitter van with seating and table up behind driver and storage area in the back. The band were good but they weren't well known or famous in any way and only played local gigs within a 50mile radius.

I'm guessing your local band must have a sponsor of some kind too.

Dave

• Like 2

IMG_4476.thumb.jpeg.204bff5df481e290e4b5ca9d1e7a97bd.jpegHave missed a number of gigs because I’ve forgotten to take photos- no issues tonight, the venue owner (Lyde Court, Hereford) suggested we got one by his plane, as one does. 

Horns on track tonight, punters don’t really care but they’re a bit cheesy for my liking but otherwise a great gig, works do, young-ish crowd and they lapped it up. 

Two more this weekend as well, best get some sleep! 

• Like 10

On 18/07/2024 at 11:43, Mykesbass said:

Not something I've ever read into one of your posts. You always come across as open and genuine. 

Thanks Mykes,

I know we all play in different levels of the gigging game and it's fun to share stories because we all see the good and the bad side of it.

Daryl

20240719_223807.jpg

20240719_224851.jpg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, scalpy said:

IMG_4476.thumb.jpeg.204bff5df481e290e4b5ca9d1e7a97bd.jpegHave missed a number of gigs because I’ve forgotten to take photos- no issues tonight, the venue owner (Lyde Court, Hereford) suggested we got one by his plane, as one does. 

Horns on track tonight, punters don’t really care but they’re a bit cheesy for my liking but otherwise a great gig, works do, young-ish crowd and they lapped it up. 

Two more this weekend as well, best get some sleep! 

Now that's what I call upscale. I'd fit in with you guys. 👍 

Daryl

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Mykes,

I know we all play in different levels of the gigging game and it's fun to share stories because we all see the good and the bad side of it.

Daryl

20240719_223807.jpg

20240719_224851.jpg

Not too shabby there Daryl. Someone liked you guys a lot with a $100 bill in there. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not too shabby there Daryl. Someone liked you guys a lot with a $100 bill in there. :laugh1:

Dave

Or does @Bluewineknow the oldest trick in the book, and chuck some notes in first to attract more of the same? 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Dave,

The $100.00 wasn't really a tip. The head bartender asked if we'd play an extra 30 minutes for a hundred bucks. He put the note in the jar.

However it was a good tip night.

Daryl

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Or does @Bluewineknow the oldest trick in the book, and chuck some notes in first to attract more of the same? 😏

That was not our tip jar. The Baaree puts that jar on a stand in front of the band . They also pass it around through the crowd.

Mykes, the $100.00 was not a tip. The head bartender asked If we'd play an extra 30 minutes for a hundred. He put the note in the jar 

Daryl

20240719_182207.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Mykes, the $100.00 was not a tip. The head bartender asked If we'd play an extra 30 minutes for a hundred. He put the note in the jar 

Daryl

20240719_182207.jpg

Yes, thought the 100 was a bit heavy, even for US tipping. The old trick here, where people will put £1 coins in a tip jar is to put a couple of £5 and £10 notes in before the jar starts going around, encouraging a bit more generosity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Played an end of year party for the teachers from a Bristol school at the Grain Bardge last night. 

Great gig. They were definitely up for a party! I'd recommend doing end of year parties. 

IMG-20240720-WA0000.thumb.jpg.b58f9c1df92391e2a498263d4383afb4.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Yes, thought the 100 was a bit heavy, even for US tipping. The old trick here, where people will put £1 coins in a tip jar is to put a couple of £5 and £10 notes in before the jar starts going around, encouraging a bit more generosity.

Agreed, but I'm not the biggest fan of having a tip jar passed around. However, I'd say most of the tips were from people walking up to the jar.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1721465586347~2.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2