Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I took delivery of a new bass yesterday , and had the chance to hear it at room levels in my favourite downtown dive last night. I bought a big orange Gretsch hollow body last December and have been mostly using that. Some Gretsch fans mentioned that the ThunderJet would pair nicely with it so I’ve been looking for one. They were from the Pro Series that were made in Japan. Pricey and only made in small batches , no longer in production.
I finally managed to find one. 
And I like it.

Fairly quiet night at the gig , still an enjoyable night. I was able to switch basses a fair bit and compare the two. Some of my favourite nights have been quiet ones. Small but appreciative crowd. I’m back there Sunday night for the jam and will hear it again. 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, msb said:

I took delivery of a new bass yesterday , and had the chance to hear it at room levels in my favourite downtown dive last night. I bought a big orange Gretsch hollow body last December and have been mostly using that. Some Gretsch fans mentioned that the ThunderJet would pair nicely with it so I’ve been looking for one. They were from the Pro Series that were made in Japan. Pricey and only made in small batches , no longer in production.
I finally managed to find one. 
And I like it.

Fairly quiet night at the gig , still an enjoyable night. I was able to switch basses a fair bit and compare the two. Some of my favourite nights have been quiet ones. Small but appreciative crowd. I’m back there Sunday night for the jam and will hear it again. 

Any pics of you with the basses or even just some of your basses ?

Dave

• Like 1

I was away from this thread for a while trying to keep up with, and occasionally contribute to, the UK General Election thread - I've now recovered sufficiently to start re-engaging with the Bass Chat bit of Basschat😀 .

Also I found the first night at the new Jam Night venue a little underwhelming, so wasn't inspired to write anything about it.  It didn't have the same "good live music" feel as the previous venue and several of the better bands didn't turn up.  This month's was better - the atmosphere wasn't back to the previous venue's but the bands turned up.  Except mine, so I talked a couple of members of the host band into playing with me and a new bloke on the guitar joined us.  People sang along to our set, so I guess we made a good call on the songs and I felt we played them pretty well.  Here is our version of "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" by the Georgia Satellites - a bit of a one hit wonder and I suspect not that well known in the UK - do any of your bands play it?

• Like 11

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Any pics of you with the basses or even just some of your basses ?

Dave

Here’s the new Jet , and me shortly after buying that big orange one.

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_9624.jpeg

I guess I’m becoming a Gretsch guy , didn’t see that coming. I was originally a Pbass guy and for years that was all I had. Then I got into Rics , and somehow into Danos after that. Then it was Gibson short scales , now Gretsches. 

Edited by msb
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

After last weekend’s fun with the originals band it was back to the covers band, Top Deck. This time at The Gate Inn, Loscoe In Derbyshire. We were expecting to start at 9pm but the pub was very quiet. So, with the agreement of the landlady we delayed the start time until 9.30. This paid off, as the place eventually filled up. 

9F8E9F04-B77F-43A8-A8F5-32A2F36237DE.jpeg

• Like 13

We played a private party yesterday evening with The Verity Bromham band. Well organized and looked after. I took my Thunderbird but realised Del hadn’t bought his usual ‘guitar garage’ for me to stand it in. He kindly offered to let me use a double hanging stand he had for his guitars. I set up and wandered offstage only to watch Del grab his Les Paul from the stand, which promptly toppled over along with my Thunderbird. It all happened in slo mo - me having visions of a trip to our local luthier for a headstock refit. But no, a stage light broke its fall and it fell on carpet. Not only was the headstock still intact but there wasn’t a mark on the bass . . . . . Phew! Had a good evening,  ext stop Cambridge Rock Festival on Friday and Saturday week.

Edited by King Tut
  • Like 10
  • Sad 3

We were at our favorite venue last night, The Coach House in Paignton. I used my recently purchased Squire Precision which I bought of Andybassdoyle here. It performed well and sounded great. Thumbs up from our drummer too. As usual it went through my RM 500-Evo II and BF 210, with a DI to the PA. We played well and sounded good. Plenty of dancing by some very appreciative people. One of our regulars only just noticed, after years of watching us, the bass line in War Pigs, particularly behind the guitar solo and was suitably impressed. Bit if a break until the next gig, but that gives us time to work on the set as we need a few new songs and our drummer, our son who rejoined us last gig, to learn some some more recent songs of our too.

20240720_211818_compress56.jpg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, msb said:

Here’s the new Jet , and me shortly after buying that big orange one.

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_9624.jpeg

I guess I’m becoming a Gretsch guy , didn’t see that coming. I was originally a Pbass guy and for years that was all I had. Then I got into Rics , and somehow into Danos after that. Then it was Gibson short scales , now Gretsches. 

Liking them. Love the black one. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

57 minutes ago, King Tut said:

We played a private party yesterday evening with The Verity Bromham band. Well organized and looked after. I took my Thunderbird but realised Del hadn’t bought his usual ‘guitar garage’ for me to stand it in. He kindly offered to let me use a double hanging stand he had for his guitars. I set up and wandered offstage only to watch Del grab his Les Paul from the stand, which promptly toppled over along with my Thunderbird. It all happened in slo mo - me having visions of a trip to our local luthier for a headstock refit. But no, a stage light broke its fall and it fell on carpet. Not only was the headstock still intact but there wasn’t a mark on the bass . . . . . Phew! Had a good evening,  ext stop Cambridge Rock Festival on Friday and Saturday week.

I've just bought one of the Hercules double stands and noticed that if the feet are out far enough it does topple quite easily when you take a bass off it.

At least you were lucky and no damage. Phew ! right enough :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

Wee punk gig with Emergency Exit in one of our fav venues in The Riverside in Dumfries. We were asked to play in the large conservatory area instead of in the bar area. There were noise complaints about bands in the venue and it went to court so its a delicate situation. Ann that runs it has unfortunately decided to retire and said by the time the court case comes round she'll be gone and doesn't care anymore about noise complaints. :biggrin:

Fairly busy, not packed out but a good party feel and altho a lot of rather intoxicated people they were all generally well behaved.

We have one more gig in this venue before the current owner leaves so reckon that will be the end of the bands because of the noise complaints. Shame as bands have been playing there for a lot of years and way before the complainers arrived.

Embarrassing moment when bringing the car along the private road near the river to load up and as i pulled up at the bar there was a rather drunk couple "having fun". I reckon she played the trumpet in a band but hey ho that's life when young and drunk. 

An hrs drive home so that is always good plus my bag of M&M's for the drive to keep me focused :laugh1:

Used the MarloweDK for the first half but decided to use the Godin the 2nd half and what a difference that Godin makes. Its such a deep warm tone with a nice edge when you need it. I do love playing the Marlowe TBH honest but like most Jazz basses i find they can get a bit lost in the mix. The Godin has the Precision depth with the J pick up at the bridge just giving it that little bit more clarity. Have to say when you flick it onto P pick up on its own it does sound like any decent P bass. I prefer the switch to the pan or twin volume set up.

I never use the pan on a bass its always dead centre.

Handbox WB-100 amp into my Mesa SW210/115 cabs with my Shure Wireless. The Handbox and Godin bass are a perfect match IMO. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 11

Played the marvellous festival at Wokingham last night, with the Phil Collins tribute , Second to last band slot which suited us i thought. Fantastic atmosphere and audience, very well organised do. Bit hectic changeovers but aren’t they always at this type of gig. Very enjoyable. We’ve played it before and apparently are already booked for 2026. The weather threatened to get really quite bad by thankfully held off generally. Great stuff indeed! X 

ea2784bc-78fe-49bc-bb4b-8f8bef378fd3.jpeg

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

That's a delicate way of putting it.

At a later event while loading the car she looked like she might have been a bass player too as she was using fingerstyle. 

This sounds like i was watching them but there were others loading their cars too and they were literally in my headlights (not on full beam either) but this was a public walkway along the river and fully street lit. 

I have to admit i was a bit embarrassed but if anyone wants the pics or vids PM me. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Played the marvellous festival at Wokingham last night, with the Phil Collins tribute , Second to last band slot which suited us i thought. Fantastic atmosphere and audience, very well organised do. Bit hectic changeovers but aren’t they always at this type of gig. Very enjoyable. We’ve played it before and apparently are already booked for 2026. The weather threatened to get really quite bad by thankfully held off generally. Great stuff indeed! X 

Cracking stuff. Looks amazing.

Dave

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Weather held off = no jacket required?😂

• Haha 4

Last night Nine Lives played for the first time at The Tolbooth in Ellon.  It was an interesting setup in the conservatory needing some creative ways of getting electricity to the left hand side of the "stage" (ie. area of floor we occupy).  Nevertheless, we got set up and got going and after a bit of level tweaking had a great night.  Decent crowd, had some dancers up for a fair few songs - held them there for three with Shut Up And Dance -> Bad Moon Rising -> then an impromptu set list change to Waterloo.  Was pleased with the band doing that on the fly, especially as it wasn't me making the suggestion.

We heard afterwards from the staff that even the shy folk up at the bar were singing along and enjoying it too - couldn't really see them as we were downstairs a bit.  Got some great feedback, most importantly from the lady who paid us, so hopefully this will lead to repeat bookings at this venue.  Very happy with how it went.

Gear used - my G4M rat bass followed by the Sire D5 into the usual Markbass modular shenanigans.

20240721Tolboothgear1.thumb.jpg.d990dead6b8bebfa65dba9ac259a874e.jpg20240721Tolboothgear2.thumb.jpg.b49e7d72ffc6e51cc352971d3740f393.jpg

• Like 12

How was my gig last night?...............CANCELLED.

Due to me testing positive for Covid on Wednesday after feeling crap all day Tuesday. No doubt picked up at the gig I did last Saturday at Morecambe Music Festival in a packed to capacity, hot and sweaty venue. 

We have our fingers and toes crossed for the gig next Saturday, but I'm still testing positive today and don't feel great.

Soooo many people have Covid again right now.

Rob

• Sad 10

50th birthday party last night, 80s theme, so everyone in good spirits despite being outside and the weather being on the cusp of disaster most of the evening. First obstacle however was getting to the place- in the middle of a woods up a very long and bumpy track. A few band members who hadn’t heard of what3words struggled… Next up was setting up on some decking outside the house with only a sail for shelter from the elements, a few gusts of wind almost drenched the drummer setting up but during the gig there were no issues. But apart from that, dep guitar and trumpet were acceptable if not spectacular but the audience were up for a party. Got everyone trained up for a super quick pack down, one more gig tonight with a complete band of first call players.

• Like 11