Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just got back from The Bull in Braintree - a venue that apparently hasn’t been putting bands on for long, but they have a nice area and very friendly staff. 

The gig itself was a mixed bag - halfway through the first set we had a few dancers/singers up and moving about, but with one song to go in the first half a *really* drunk guy came to the floor and was acting up. We hit the break, he continued to play up, there was a scuffle and he was thrown out. It killed the atmosphere and we didn’t get anyone back up until 3-4 songs to go in the second set.

It is what it is. Back out again tomorrow, playing a social club where they’ve asked us not to play anything ‘too heavy’ - so we’re intrigued by what crowd we’ll have! 

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Just got back from The Bull in Braintree - a venue that apparently hasn’t been putting bands on for long, but they have a nice area and very friendly staff. 

The gig itself was a mixed bag - halfway through the first set we had a few dancers/singers up and moving about, but with one song to go in the first half a *really* drunk guy came to the floor and was acting up. We hit the break, he continued to play up, there was a scuffle and he was thrown out. It killed the atmosphere and we didn’t get anyone back up until 3-4 songs to go in the second set.

It is what it is. Back out again tomorrow, playing a social club where they’ve asked us not to play anything ‘too heavy’ - so we’re intrigued by what crowd we’ll have! 

Heard a few horror stories about The Bull, as I'm sure you have.

Not played there for a while. Hope tomorrows gig goes better.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

We were somehow headlining last night at The Victory in Hereford... Three bands - TCCL from Leeds (decent band - good bassplayer!), Potbelly (from Washington State, hardcore but tight as!) and us...

Our other bassplayer (Raph) brought the PA, and after a few minor teething problems, sound was pretty good - not too loud but still rockin'. We played pretty well considering our age (at least some of us!) and levels of infirmity, shapes thrown by guitar, head bangin' by Raph, getting right in the crowd's faces by Sam, some crazy cowbell licks by drums and lots of unnecessary widdling from me (I did say some of us are now beyond ancient). We even got 50-odd people in, there was some wild cheering (we normally frown on that sort of thing), we played for an hour because Raph suddenly burst into RATM's "Bullet in the Head" which we hadn't practised for ages and had to do an encore despite it being past my bedtime. And I was accosted by a young man who compared my playing to that of Mudvayne's Ryan Martinie, which was nice (though I did have to look him up just in case).

Used the now-trusty ACG Recurve into Helix, BBE Pre and DBX compressor, Crown power and Markbass 4x10 - decent bottom end with good slap top-end.

image.thumb.png.b37dc4ff2f600702ef97ea0a24e1bb8d.png

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

We were somehow headlining last night at The Victory in Hereford... Three bands - TCCL from Leeds (decent band - good bassplayer!), Potbelly (from Washington State, hardcore but tight as!) and us...

Our other bassplayer (Raph) brought the PA, and after a few minor teething problems, sound was pretty good - not too loud but still rockin'. We played pretty well considering our age (at least some of us!) and levels of infirmity, shapes thrown by guitar, head bangin' by Raph, getting right in the crowd's faces by Sam, some crazy cowbell licks by drums and lots of unnecessary widdling from me (I did say some of us are now beyond ancient). We even got 50-odd people in, there was some wild cheering (we normally frown on that sort of thing), we played for an hour because Raph suddenly burst into RATM's "Bullet in the Head" which we hadn't practised for ages and had to do an encore despite it being past my bedtime. And I was accosted by a young man who compared my playing to that of Mudvayne's Ryan Martinie, which was nice (though I did have to look him up just in case).

Used the now-trusty ACG Recurve into Helix, BBE Pre and DBX compressor, Crown power and Markbass 4x10 - decent bottom end with good slap top-end.

image.thumb.png.b37dc4ff2f600702ef97ea0a24e1bb8d.png

Based on some of the vids i've watched you don't look that old ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Based on some of the vids i've watched you don't look that old

Photoshop, dear boy 😁 It's the modern equivalent of putting a pair of tights or smear of vaseline on the lens... Three of us are over 60!

• Haha 5

Headlined the Friday night of the Summer Sounds festival in Guisborough with the Elton tribute. Quite a hike from Leicestershire (not helped by closure of section of the M1 due to an accident plus general Friday afternoon traffic).

Good gig tho, and a proper summer’s evening there. Decent sized crowd, friendly chilled atmosphere and a good blast to play. 

Dug out my P bass with flats which I haven’t used for a while and really enjoyed playing. 

IMG_5683.jpeg

IMG_5684.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Photoshop, dear boy 😁 It's the modern equivalent of putting a pair of tights or smear of vaseline on the lens... Three of us are over 60!

Just a boy. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

Last night Bluesfire finally played my local, the Park Hotel. For some reason they had decided to squeeze us into the main bar, instead of the big room upstairs. At least it meant an easy load in.

We expected a good crowd as we are well known in Barry and the gig was shared well on FB. We also had several people come from Cardiff and Penarth, good to know we can pull a audience in. Someone from Cwmbran who saw us at Borough Blues festival a few weeks ago brough friends, including a frend of my partner who hasn't seen her for 4 years! Also some very good local musicians turned up.

So lots of people crammed into a medium size bar gave an excellent atmosphere. From the star there was cheering rather than applause, although virtually no dancing with the lack of space.

We were very tight, although on two songs I felt convinced I was out of key, but it mah have been a weird effect of standing in a tiny space between my cab and the Pa... after a verse it sounded ok. A couple of songs people probably thought I was really creative as I flailed around trying different lines searching for the rig. Got  bludgeoned into some extra songs so despite my defence of 45+45 elsewhere we ended up doing 50 + 60.

Alex got loads of praise for his guitar work, including from a guy who is a brilliant player and has been a figure on the south Wales scene since the 70s.

So, a really awesome evening,  plus I was able to carry my gear as it was only a minutes walk away :)

IMG-20240727-WA0006.thumb.jpg.4ec436c044bac372e3d506bb3bb5b19c.jpg

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gasman said:

Over 60? That don't impress me much - in my band three of us are 70, 74 and 78 but still rockin'!

The only rockin' we do is in our chairs on the porch...

Though I find if we artistically blur the older members no-one knows just how decrepit we all are! Last night - sound is pretty good for mobile recording, at least through 'phones.

• Like 7

I haven't played my gig yet, but it's going to be a tough one. It's 11 days since I tested positive for Covid and cancelled the gig last Saturday. Tonight's gig is going ahead, and I feel absolutely dreadful. I'm not testing positive since Thursday, but I'm well and truly hanging. The list of symptoms is too long to go into here. 9.30pm start, 2 sets, and I'm singing nearly half of them too.

Wish me luck!

Rob.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

A little clip from last night. A first outing of ‘Fight for your right’

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I haven't played my gig yet, but it's going to be a tough one. It's 11 days since I tested positive for Covid and cancelled the gig last Saturday. Tonight's gig is going ahead, and I feel absolutely dreadful. I'm not testing positive since Thursday, but I'm well and truly hanging. The list of symptoms is too long to go into here. 9.30pm start, 2 sets, and I'm singing nearly half of them too.

Wish me luck!

Rob.

Lots of water, couple of paracetamol before you go on, and have a great one! Good luck!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Wish me luck!

Rob.

Good luck Rob, similarly I’ve not tested positive since Thursday but still feel rotten, no way I could do a gig today, you’re made of hardier stuff than I am!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

Wish me luck!

Rob.

All the best, pretty sure the adrenalin will give you a wee rush and get you thru. 

Try not to excert yourself to much, restrict any stage theatrics and stand in one place might help and drink plenty of water and maybe a spoonful of honey before you start each set.

Hope all is ok.

Dave

• Like 2

last night, 9 o'clock start, town centre in Deal Kent.

All we needed was a dog!! (we had the 'one man')

luckily 2 or 3 songs in it got busier and I managed to do the whole gig standing up, this was a little win for me. 2 x 1 hour sets of banging 80s choons

• Like 3

I had been hoping to post a report tomorrow of Rascallion's latest outing at a birthday party this evening, but unfortunately after we rehearsed on Wednesday, Mr Rhythm Guitar tested positive for Covid on Thursday, and I tested positive this morning! Possibly all for the best as our frontman still hasn't got his voice back properly since he had Covid two weeks ago... 🙄

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Hope you all feel better soon Tony, am just recovering from it myself 

Cheers, on the plus side I'm feeling better now than I was first thing this morning! As it is, we've all decided not to do anything for a couple of weeks until everybody is (hopefully) well clear of it. 🤞

• Like 2