Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Some pics have now appeared from an official photographer for our Tomintoul gig back in July with punk covers band Emergency Exit.

Did add to the original post but its way back in the realms of history and i just liked these pics. First time i've seen more pics of the bass player than the guitarist too so this is a first.

Dave

3.thumb.jpg.850ea256c3b3fb8439ee80ecb0fbef7f.jpg2.thumb.jpg.e1dd94af31c7ddc4c7f7fdd8886d297a.jpg1.thumb.jpg.08395ad48da37b9254265de291d83352.jpg7.thumb.jpg.ddb931a16dc9261aaca4932f8ebfb927.jpg19.thumb.jpg.519a0a3c6cacb9e4b966776931247635.jpg12.thumb.jpg.04de3254b7c75906b4367e7f162b3772.jpg

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Meant to post this earlier but forgot...

A while ago I joined a newly-formed Eagles tribute with a lovely, talented bunch of lads. Months of rehearsals and a handful of gigs later, we're really starting to settle in to it.

Here's a couple of clips from a gig in my home village the other weekend.

Gear-wise, it's the usual for me. Handbox R-400, TKS 212 cab.... and the Maruszczyk Jake PJ to cover Randy's P tone in the early days, and Tim's Jazz tone from the Kong Run era.

Eventually I'll probably switch between an actual P and J.

I'm new to this IEM lark, and I'm still getting used to it. We have lots of refining to do. We don't run a silent stage, 'cos we like amps. 🙂

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Meant to post this earlier but forgot...

A while ago I joined a newly-formed Eagles tribute with a lovely, talented bunch of lads. Months of rehearsals and a handful of gigs later, we're really starting to settle in to it.

Here's a couple of clips from a gig in my home village the other weekend.

Gear-wise, it's the usual for me. Handbox R-400, TKS 212 cab.... and the Maruszczyk Jake PJ to cover Randy's P tone in the early days, and Tim's Jazz tone from the Kong Run era.

Eventually I'll probably switch between an actual P and J.

I'm new to this IEM lark, and I'm still getting used to it. We have lots of refining to do. We don't run a silent stage, 'cos we like amps. 🙂

Nicely balanced sound, tricky with that many guitarists!

• Like 2

Cheers, all!

I’ve never rehearsed so much for anything in my life. I grew up with The Eagles in my DNA. I thought I knew all the ins-and-outs of all the arrangements, but when it came to it… turns out I was wrong. There’s so many little details and surprises hidden away in those songs.

We’re lucky in that we’re blessed with a great Don & Glen, and everyone in the band is great crack. It’s good fun.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Cheers, all!

I’ve never rehearsed so much for anything in my life. I grew up with The Eagles in my DNA. I thought I knew all the ins-and-outs of all the arrangements, but when it came to it… turns out I was wrong. There’s so many little details and surprises hidden away in those songs.

We’re lucky in that we’re blessed with a great Don & Glen, and everyone in the band is great crack. It’s good fun.

I remember buying the music book for The Eagles Greatest Hits and realising there was more to the bass than first thought. I think i gave my young brother a loan of it in recent years and never saw it again. Brothers ....... Huh !!! :biggrin:

The one i always thought was tricky was Hotel California. Not hard to play each note but the timing was hard for me for some reason.

Great band and i'm jealous of you with this one Michael. :hi:

Have to say the vocal harmonies are fantastic in the band.

All the very best with it.

Dave

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I remember buying the music book for The Eagles Greatest Hits and realising there was more to the bass than first thought. I think i gave my young brother a loan of it in recent years and never saw it again. Brothers ....... Huh !!! :biggrin:

The one i always thought was tricky was Hotel California. Not hard to play each note but the timing was hard for me for some reason.

Great band and i'm jealous of you with this one Michael. :hi:

Have to say the vocal harmonies are fantastic in the band.

All the very best with it.

Dave

Thanks!

Yep, Hotel California is a lesson in restraint. It’s a long pattern, and if you deviate it jumps right out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hurtsfall were supporting Swedish synth wave band Midnight Danger at The Bodega in Nottingham.

Once again a last minute gig with a fairly early on-stage time, but this time there was a much better turn out both for us and the headliners compared with our previous gig here. Once again we struggled to fit on the tiny stage after the headliners had set up, and ended up with even less room than previously with me stuck to a single spot between the drum kit and the foldback wedge and our synth player half behind the PA stack. However it was nice to see that there were several people in attendance who knew the songs and even surprised us when we got the biggest cheer on announcing one of our newer songs which has yet to be recorded. Played really well apart from when I forgot to un-mute the Helix at the beginning of the first song.

Midnight Danger were brilliant although I only saw half their set as was catching up with an old friend, and bandmate from the 70s and early 80s.

Once again no photos have appeared on line as yet, but there were several photographers in the audience including one there specifically to take phots of us so hopefully I'll be posting some later...

• Like 14

Just back from a great show at Norden farm arts centre near Maidenhead with the phil Collins tribute. Lovely little theatre, quite an intimate place really, very appreciative audience and always enjoy chatting with them afterwards. Great fun! Wedding to play tonight so completely different, but looking forward to it.

IMG_9178.jpeg

IMG_9176.jpeg

• Like 19

7 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Just back from a great show at Norden farm arts centre near Maidenhead with the phil Collins tribute. Lovely little theatre, quite an intimate place really, very appreciative audience and always enjoy chatting with them afterwards. Great fun! Wedding to play tonight so completely different, but looking forward to it.

IMG_9178.jpeg

IMG_9176.jpeg

Twin drummers, bet that's fun.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We were booked to play a new festival being held in Gower this weekend. I felt sorry for them as the weather forecast was horrendous and there weren't many people there. When we turned up the van got stuck in the mud and had to be pushed several times. We were due on third but the 2nd act had cancelled at the last minute so the opener, a solo sax act, valiantly played on until we could get set up. By the time we relieved him, he'd been paying for 2.5 hours. Not our regular sound guy but he was very quick getting a decent sound and we played for about 75 minutes (rather than the 45-50 we were due to play) which put the event back on track. The last 15 minutes was punctuated by great flashes of light as the lightning arrived. The stage was facing out to the sea overlooking Oxwich bay, so it was spectacular. But also a little unnerving as each flash got a bit closer! We finished and managed to get the vans packed just before the torrential rain started. Finding our way down to the gate through the field was almost impossible but every few seconds a massive flash of lightning lit the whole field and we managed to get on the lane and away.

I'd left my car at our rehearsal place (a couple of miles away) so I was dropped off there and headed home. Most of the road is at the foot of sloping fields so the water was running through the hedgerows like little waterfalls. I was driving (slowly) through 6" deep water most of the way but the first I knew of the really deep stuff was when my headlights dimmed. The water was blocking them. I managed to keep going and it took about 30 seconds to get through. Then I went through a shorter section of the same depth and finally came across a car stuck in the middle of a third. And all of this during an almost non-stop display of lightning. 

Got home about 3 hours later, having had to dodge debris from collapsed walls and hedges on the way. Our gig tonight is back in the same area and I've just been told that the road into Port Eynon village has partially collapsed. Rock 'n' Roll! 🤘

With a small stage, I decided to use my Ibanez EHB100s through an Ampeg pre-amp pedal (which was always on) and I DI'd into the desk. I was really happy with the sound and it was a good band mix. 

DSCG3216.jpg.a5ef0fc08996c6d61e19396fc06a49f4.jpg

DSCG3274.jpg.63df9f01543eb2a23fb3d9f047f6bd27.jpg

DSCG3278.jpg.1f8bef0ac6d497096edfb967ff656b77.jpg

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Twin drummers, bet that's fun.

Dave

35 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

We were booked to play a new festival being held in Gower this weekend. I felt sorry for them as the weather forecast was horrendous and there weren't many people there. When we turned up the van got stuck in the mud and had to be pushed several times. We were due on third but the 2nd act had cancelled at the last minute so the opener, a solo sax act, valiantly played on until we could get set up. By the time we relieved him, he'd been paying for 2.5 hours. Not our regular sound guy but he was very quick getting a decent sound and we played for about 75 minutes (rather than the 45-50 we were due to play) which put the event back on track. The last 15 minutes was punctuated by great flashes of light as the lightning arrived. The stage was facing out to the sea overlooking Oxwich bay, so it was spectacular. But also a little unnerving as each flash got a bit closer! We finished and managed to get the vans packed just before the torrential rain started. Finding our way down to the gate through the field was almost impossible but every few seconds a massive flash of lightning lit the whole field and we managed to get on the lane and away.

I'd left my car at our rehearsal place (a couple of miles away) so I was dropped off there and headed home. Most of the road is at the foot of sloping fields so the water was running through the hedgerows like little waterfalls. I was driving (slowly) through 6" deep water most of the way but the first I knew of the really deep stuff was when my headlights dimmed. The water was blocking them. I managed to keep going and it took about 30 seconds to get through. Then I went through a shorter section of the same depth and finally came across a car stuck in the middle of a third. And all of this during an almost non-stop display of lightning. 

Got home about 3 hours later, having had to dodge debris from collapsed walls and hedges on the way. Our gig tonight is back in the same area and I've just been told that the road into Port Eynon village has partially collapsed. Rock 'n' Roll! 🤘

With a small stage, I decided to use my Ibanez EHB100s through an Ampeg pre-amp pedal (which was always on) and I DI'd into the desk. I was really happy with the sound and it was a good band mix. 

DSCG3216.jpg.a5ef0fc08996c6d61e19396fc06a49f4.jpg

DSCG3274.jpg.63df9f01543eb2a23fb3d9f047f6bd27.jpg

DSCG3278.jpg.1f8bef0ac6d497096edfb967ff656b77.jpg

Blimey sounds like a very testing time for you all! Well done for your perseverance. Character building for sure 😩

• Like 2

First gig with a new start up. Ropey as feck. People either have lower standards than I do or I take it all too seriously. 

However, it's a great set and with work I think it's a saleable product.

IMG-20240907-WA0016.jpg

• Like 16

Got a private function tonight with Glam covers band. Not comfortable doing these gigs as not everyone shares the taste in music of the birthday person so it can be a hit or a miss. All else fails its a well paid rehearsal. :biggrin:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Bit late on a couple…

Last Saturday was at a club in Cromer with the Northern Soul band, and it was a great night. Loads of Northetn Soulies dancing all night from the off. 
Next day was a Sunday afternoon session with the ska band. The main sax player, who also plays guitar and sings, has not been well for a while, and has had numerous tests and scans etc. He said it’d be his last gig for a while, until he’d got sorted out what was wrong with him. So the extended sax break in Pigbag, with the main singer/guitarist/2nd sax, where they trade off licks at the end, was far far longer. It’s brought to an end by me hitting a note, for them to come back in with the main riff. I let them both carry on for ages, as non of us knew when we’d play with him again. 
Turns out that we won’t ever again. The next day he was told he had terminal Pancreatic cancer, that had also gone to his lungs, liver, and bones. Been given 6 months; but knowing people who’ve had this, he’s probably looking at weeks. He’s only 51, and been a pro played for years- spent ages with Suzi Quattro on tours, playing sax, guitar, and bass- when she went on keys for the occasional song. 
Not got another Ska gig until next Friday , so we’ve drafted in the Northern Soul singer, so we can pad out the sets with some other songs etc. 

All a bit sh*t really. 

This Thursday did a small wedding with the Function band (all of the 3 bands have some members that play in all of them), and that was a lovely little gig. 

Last night was Function band again, that was a complete scrub out- but there you go. 
We’re out again tonight at another wedding, which should be good; and then tomorrow afternoon with the Northern soul lot.

So apart from the bad news , which has hit us hard, it’s a really busy month of gigs

• Like 1
  • Sad 26