Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

First one in a while! 4 Play (still funny? 😳) at the riverside in Sutton bridge. 4 - 7pm so a nice time slot. Actually played well until the getard swapped axes… to one which WASN’T tuned down 1/2 step 😝. Thankfully I play five so I just shifted but what a nob!

Good crowd, singing and dancing, landlord happy (pissed, but they normally are in the Fens). Home in time for antiques Roadshow!!

As always, Fender Dimension USA V Into GK Rb700 and barefaced BB2. The amp is like “I know the output from your humbuckers is too hot and things are distorting but it sounds so damn nice please can I have some more of that?”. So I obliged. I’m dimly aware that there are “not humbuckers” available… meh. Not for me ta.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I meant in general across the evening. Flummoxed the rhytm guitarist a bit.

Try my main band’s drummer. Superb Taylor / Bonham style, great fills, lovely big rock animal kit and sound. Perfect for what we do. But after EVERY guitar (not keyboard, weirdly) solo he adds c. 3-4bpm. And given that JR Guitar IS Mr Solo, that’s many BPMs by the end 🤓

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thekla in Bristol on Saturday night supporting The Men They Couldn't Hang. The venue is a boat which is very weird. Loads of steps to load down. They shared their drum shells, but I still had to carry my hardware box down. Sweating before soundcheck! A long way to drive from Stoke for a 30 minute set but it felt worth it. Amazing reception from a crowd that don't know us, although we didn't sell much merch. Hopefully some of them will come to our headline show in Bristol later in the year. No photos from the gig but this is us waiting to soundcheck

image.thumb.png.c6fb27fa74e56c15ce5741ec95053cd9.png

• Like 20

23 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Thekla in Bristol on Saturday night supporting The Men They Couldn't Hang. The venue is a boat which is very weird. Loads of steps to load down. They shared their drum shells, but I still had to carry my hardware box down. Sweating before soundcheck! A long way to drive from Stoke for a 30 minute set but it felt worth it. Amazing reception from a crowd that don't know us, although we didn't sell much merch. Hopefully some of them will come to our headline show in Bristol later in the year. No photos from the gig but this is us waiting to soundcheck

image.thumb.png.c6fb27fa74e56c15ce5741ec95053cd9.png

Doah. If I had known I would’ve ventured out to see you. Saw The Men They Couldn’t Hang a bunch of times in the late 1980s. I had no idea they were still going.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Doah. If I had known I would’ve ventured out to see you. Saw The Men They Couldn’t Hang a bunch of times in the late 1980s. I had no idea they were still going.

They're touring at the moment and we have a few of the support slots

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Nice sound and great bass tone but why do people hold their phones in portrait mode when shooting video? 😕

Because it's easier to hold your phone this way without covering the camera lenses with your fingers. Also most video on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok is viewed in portrait mode.

I have it on good authority from people in the know that if you submit phone video to any of the broadcast news programs they are more likely to take it if it has been shot in portrait mode, even if the landscape version is technically better quality and shows whatever has been "filmed" better/clearer, because that is what viewers expect from user-shot video.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Ah - I didn't scroll that far back and just clicked on the reply to your original link. But no, that link "is not available at the moment'

I'll just delete the posts with the links as its obviously not working.

Thanks for letting me know.

Dave

Oddish one this weekend; a 3:30pm start yesterday at a Bowling Club in Burnley...yeah, sounds like a recipe for disaster all round, but it was OK. In fact it was better than of late because we had the #2 drummer who I know of old, so we got to entertain ourselves during the more boring numbers (Sit Down, Sweet Home Alabama*) by playing off each other around and about the song. Audience were another 60+ lot; age, not numbers, sadly, despite the landlady saying 'It'll get really busy later'; I can only presume she meant after we'd left, because there was no evidence of 'busy' anywhere; maybe 25 people all afternoon. 2 x 45, encore not requested, so they didn't get one.

We had more room than we've had in a while, which was OK, and I was home for half six, which will do, I suppose.

Under-8lb Cheapo P, Stomp, inears.

* Revived on the spot for the set (I pulled my face a bit) because they weren't an indie crowd, so we'd shelved several songs, SoF being one of them, so I guess swings/roundabouts...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 12

Bit random. There was a bunch of Americans and an old guy getting into us. Halfway through the old guy steps up and thrusts a number into my hand and says, “You’re incredible, the best bass player I’ve ever seen, I want you on my new album, call me.” 
It was the guitarist from Mott the Hoople. 
random

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Because it's easier to hold your phone this way without covering the camera lenses with your fingers. Also most video on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok is viewed in portrait mode.

I have it on good authority from people in the know that if you submit phone video to any of the broadcast news programs they are more likely to take it if it has been shot in portrait mode, even if the landscape version is technically better quality and shows whatever has been "filmed" better/clearer, because that is what viewers expect from user-shot video.

The reason TVs are now 16:9 because that is pretty close to our real vertical and horizontal view from our eyes.

2 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

If I had been in charge of that scrip, I might have suggested a few changes but then he is fecking right. I should add that I spent almost 50 years in various roles in TV as well as a short stint in pro audio. So it is  like hearing nails down a blackboard recorded at 96KHz though a megawatt PA system to me. Just pedanting saying 😠

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

Bit random. There was a bunch of Americans and an old guy getting into us. Halfway through the old guy steps up and thrusts a number into my hand and says, “You’re incredible, the best bass player I’ve ever seen, I want you on my new album, call me.” 
It was the guitarist from Mott the Hoople. 
random

Mott the Hoople were hyped almost as much as Springsteen back in the day, if memory serves me well.

• Like 1

Mustang Sally were booked in the George pub, Mere in Wiltshire again (well, three of the band do live there) and it was Carnival night once more on the Saturday just gone.  The roads through the centre are closed at 18:00 to protect the crowds on the street and let the floats lumber their way through to the parade starting-point. Very sensible of course, but for me living nearly 50 miles away it meant leaving home at 16:45 and even then only just getting through the barricades with two  minutes to spare. Setting up in the pub was very relaxed as our first set was only due to start at the end of the parade (about 20:30), so sound-checks were actually possible. Unfortunately those checks were early doors in a quiet corner of the main bar that later filled to bursting point with a crazy scrum of singing, dancing and somewhat leathered punters, so my sax set ended up with my lungs turned up to 11 even with the radio mic - see video...

Time went quickly, we managed to finish at exactly 23:00 as per the pub’s licence, the landlord immediately booked us for the same gig next year and I was actually home by 00:30, happy to slurp a post-match cup of tea, but not so impressed with the sturdy welcome-home present my cat had left for me in his litter box…

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Nice sound and great bass tone but why do people hold their phones in portrait mode when shooting video? 😕

The real question is why do phones with SQUARE sensors force you to shoot portrait when holding the phone in a comfortable orientation?

Actual reason is Facebook live has stopped allowing landscape video 😞

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Sad 2