Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

My band were recently (Saturday)  honored to play at the LGGF 25th anniversary ball in Birmingham. For 25 years the LGGF has been fundraising for Marie Curie and Cancer Research and this night was a very special milestone for them and they celebrated in serious style. 

LGGF01.thumb.jpg.2b92e6c728843e93524d67ca86d33517.jpg

LGGF02.thumb.jpg.6a667fde52ac4c0481cb1d2d2fae3bc8.jpg

LGGF03.thumb.jpg.9bd9701f2984a4f01ca361dede5049b4.jpg

LGGF06.thumb.jpg.916a395265bcfcc0f281edcfd3acb5bc.jpg

LGGF05.thumb.jpg.2e067ecc81ad2dd9611ab5e9d05de840.jpg

Such a great night for us and everyone in attendance!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spacecowboy said:

My band were recently (Saturday)  honored to play at the LGGF 25th anniversary ball in Birmingham. For 25 years the LGGF has been fundraising for Marie Curie and Cancer Research and this night was a very special milestone for them and they celebrated in serious style. 

LGGF01.thumb.jpg.2b92e6c728843e93524d67ca86d33517.jpg

LGGF02.thumb.jpg.6a667fde52ac4c0481cb1d2d2fae3bc8.jpg

LGGF03.thumb.jpg.9bd9701f2984a4f01ca361dede5049b4.jpg

LGGF06.thumb.jpg.916a395265bcfcc0f281edcfd3acb5bc.jpg

LGGF05.thumb.jpg.2e067ecc81ad2dd9611ab5e9d05de840.jpg

Such a great night for us and everyone in attendance!

Looks like a great gig / venue to play. 

Dave

• Like 1

I do love a sitting gig at my age. Lovely little jazz club in SW France near where we used to live. Went down great.  Percussionist couldn't make tonights gig but still worked well. Well paid, but I would have done tonights and last nights shows for nothing as the sax/keys player is gravely ill and it was simply an honour to have been asked to provide the low end on what may well be one of his last gigs.

Messenger_creation_9D2827ED-FF9B-4A01-B02E-61F2EC062822.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

A bit of a quiet night - except for the bloke that bellowed FREEEEEEEEEEEEBBBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRD at regular intervals.

Not a busy pub but those that were there seemed to enjoy it.

Had some issues with the Xvive IEM’s cutting in and out in the second set, and finding somewhere to put the transmitter that doesn’t wipe out either the router in the desk of my iPad for my mix is becoming a right royal PITA. I rather think I need to search for a better solution.

Our sound guy had a new Allen & Heath CQ desk and WOW 😮 the difference between it and the old Behringer xAir was night and day. Everything in my IEM’s was clear and separated and but for the my system cutting in and out I was very happy on that front. Still need to get levels properly set for my mix but it bodes well.

• Like 16

Bit of a "Meh" gig last night - Cantina band at The Lounge in Boldemere, Sutton Coldfield.

Usual story - not that many people there,  a few enjoyed it enough to dance, dep drummer (mate of mine, top bloke), we played really well and sounded good, I got paid to hang around with some mates and do what I enjoy, so I can't complain.

Played some songs with a pleccy again, which was gratifying... sounds great with the EHX Bass Soul Food on Blitzkrieg Bop and Anarchy in the UK. Punktastic!

First  outing for the new expanded mini pedalboard - upgraded from a Nano to a Nano+, replaced the Harley Benton ISO 5 with a Cioks DC7 (lovely bit of kit) and added an EBS multidrive and a TCE Sub 'n' up to the Soul Food, Hookers Green Bass Machine and MXR chorus deluxe.
The Multidrive sounds great (Tubesim setting for me) and absolutely roars with the Soul Food in front of it.

Also used the Sansamp VTDI in Rock mode for the first time - Wow!

Played the Sterling -> mini board -> amp board (Thumpinator -> VTDI) -> Markbass 121.

O'Neills Solihull tonight with the Saturday night covers band, usually a really good gig... fingers crossed!

• Like 17

IMG_0951.thumb.jpeg.6c9e25661924d9f87e67615a5764b6e9.jpeg

Played the Brit club here last night, a surprisingly excellent gig. Not for any other reason than we weren’t sure how well a blues band was going down, but as it turns out very well. This is the first outing where it’s been a full evening of just us, we advertised it as an ‘evening of blues’ and an appreciative audience turned up. The guitarist introduced us with ‘if you don’t like psychedelic blues you’ve come to the wrong place’! Also first outing for the Marshall stack and sounded awesome. Went old school for this one, back line and only vocals thru the PA. 

• Like 17

44 minutes ago, Boodang said:

IMG_0951.thumb.jpeg.6c9e25661924d9f87e67615a5764b6e9.jpeg

Played the Brit club here last night, a surprisingly excellent gig. Not for any other reason than we weren’t sure how well a blues band was going down, but as it turns out very well. This is the first outing where it’s been a full evening of just us, we advertised it as an ‘evening of blues’ and an appreciative audience turned up. The guitarist introduced us with ‘if you don’t like psychedelic blues you’ve come to the wrong place’! Also first outing for the Marshall stack and sounded awesome. Went old school for this one, back line and only vocals thru the PA. 

What bass rig are you using for it. Some idiot is standing in front of the bass rig in this pic. Obviously he's not a bass player :laugh1:

Dave

TONIGHT!

The Dysfunctionals 3 piece at O'Neill's Solihull.

You know it's going to be a good one when you arrive at 7 and the place is packed (many of them drunk and pissed up on booze) and the dancefloor's full. At 7 o'clock!

Arse of a load in through the full dancefloor, setup all pretty normal... speedier than usual if anything.

The DJ was a bit weird - he kept doing Tony Blackburn style talking along to the tunes which was hilarious.

Went on to an excited/feral crowd, dancefloor was packed from the first song, IEM mix was absolutely perfect, Bass sounded great, drummer was smashing it... pretty much a dream set.
The 80s numbers (Tainted Love (Yes, I know it's technically a 60s song, but you know what I mean), Don't you want me baby? and another one that I can't remember)  seemed to go down the best for some reason - no-one in there looked old enough to remember the 90s, let alone the 80s.

Quick vape and Shandy break, got accosted (not physically) in the gents by a bloke telling me how much he loved punk and Nirvana and that we should do Teen Spirit or some X-Ray Spex (?!)... I politely demurred but he really wasn't having it, bless him.

Second set was even better than the first, Nirvana man came up midway through (mid song!) waving his phone at me, with Teen Spirit on Youtube... I told him (again) that we don't do that one I'm afraid, he got rather cross and started telling me how easy it is and what a good song it is. 🤪

Two terrifyingly huge, tattoo'd bouncers appeared halfway through the set and stationed themselves on stage, which was worrying and reassuring in equal measure. I think they were just keeping an eye out for any ne'er-do-wells, rapscallions and/or miscreants as there was no trouble.

The drummer got propositioned twice (mid set (he is gorgeous TBF)), my wireless dancefloor visit had me surrounded by a gaggle of absolute honeys, the holy trinity of Saturday night pub covers (Dakota, Sex on fire, Brightside) went down an absolute storm (knock 'em all you want, drunk people love them) Nirvana man shouted for Teen Spirit (AGAIN) as an encore (We didn't play it), the singers voice held out (just), the encore (The Oasis one about Sally being able to wait) had the whole place up... an absolutely belting time was had by all.

Same setup as last night (Sterling -> Newly expanded small pedalboard -> Amp board (VTDI set to 'Warm compression' or 'Fat Tube'... something like that) -> Mark CMD 121 -> PA) with Leopard print Converse, foot fans!

Nirvana man came up AFTER WE'D FINISHED and asked for Teen Spirit again. He really likes that song apparently.

Load out was a ton of fun (through a packed dancefloor (many of them drunk and pissed up on booze)), fifteen minutes back to my Dad's place to three cats who swore blind they'd not been fed in weeks (I'd fed them about six hours previously), a pint of Old Pa StingRayBoy's homebrew Whiskey cider (ABV unknown) and a fish finger, smokey bacon and St Agur blue creme sandwich. With chips.

Best night I've had in ages.

Edited by StingRayBoy42
  • Like 22

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

What bass rig are you using for it. Some idiot is standing in front of the bass rig in this pic. Obviously he's not a bass player :laugh1:

Dave

Good point!! Just using an old Laney 1 x 15 combo (160 watts and quite punchy), a Doc Lloyd Photon death ray comp and a combination of a Squier Jazz with custom pups and a Musicman. Around 150 people, didn’t want to be too loud but equally some of the Hendrix numbers can’t be too quiet. Seemed to get the balance about right as we could take the dynamics down to a whisper for things like Worried Life Blues (Robben Ford style) and Little Wing, and push it back up for the likes of Fire and Purple Haze. 

• Like 3

On 18/10/2024 at 15:15, Bluewine said:

She's Right I'm Left,  our acoustic offering is back at The Harley Motor Restaurant tomorrow Saturday 5:30-8:30.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1723517967820.jpg

Decent gig. As you know when we do our acoustic thing we're merely background music. However we had a few people dancing.

5:30-8:00, I was home by 9:30. No pics this time.

Daryl

• Like 8

8 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

TONIGHT!

The Dysfunctionals 3 piece at O'Neill's Solihull.

You know it's going to be a good one when you arrive at 7 and the place is packed (many of them drunk and pissed up on booze) and the dancefloor's full. At 7 o'clock!

Arse of a load in through the full dancefloor, setup all pretty normal... speedier than usual if anything.

The DJ was a bit weird - he kept doing Tony Blackburn style talking along to the tunes which was hilarious.

Went on to an excited/feral crowd, dancefloor was packed from the first song, IEM mix was absolutely perfect, Bass sounded great, drummer was smashing it... pretty much a dream set.
The 80s numbers (Tainted Love (Yes, I know it's technically a 60s song, but you know what I mean), Don't you want me baby? and another one that I can't remember)  seemed to go down the best for some reason - no-one in there looked old enough to remember the 90s, let alone the 80s.

Quick vape and Shandy break, got accosted (not physically) in the gents by a bloke telling me how much he loved punk and Nirvana and that we should do Teen Spirit or some X-Ray Spex (?!)... I politely demurred but he really wasn't having it, bless him.

Second set was even better than the first, Nirvana man came up midway through (mid song!) waving his phone at me, with Teen Spirit on Youtube... I told him (again) that we don't do that one I'm afraid, he got rather cross and started telling me how easy it is and what a good song it is. 🤪

Two terrifyingly huge, tattoo'd bouncers appeared halfway through the set and stationed themselves on stage, which was worrying and reassuring in equal measure. I think they were just keeping an eye out for any ne'er-do-wells, rapscallions and/or miscreants as there was no trouble.

The drummer got propositioned twice (mid set (he is gorgeous TBF)), my wireless dancefloor visit had me surrounded by a gaggle of absolute honeys, the holy trinity of Saturday night pub covers (Dakota, Sex on fire, Brightside) went down an absolute storm (knock 'em all you want, drunk people love them) Nirvana man shouted for Teen Spirit (AGAIN) as an encore (We didn't play it), the singers voice held out (just), the encore (The Oasis one about Sally being able to wait) had the whole place up... an absolutely belting time was had by all.

Same setup as last night (Sterling -> Newly expanded small pedalboard -> Amp board (VTDI set to 'Warm compression' or 'Fat Tube'... something like that) -> Mark CMD 121 -> PA) with Leopard print Converse, foot fans!

Nirvana man came up AFTER WE'D FINISHED and asked for Teen Spirit again. He really likes that song apparently.

Load out was a ton of fun (through a packed dancefloor (many of them drunk and pissed up on booze)), fifteen minutes back to my Dad's place to three cats who swore blind they'd not been fed in weeks (I'd fed them about six hours previously), a pint of Old Pa StingRayBoy's homebrew Whiskey cider (ABV unknown) and a fish finger, smokey bacon and St Agur blue creme sandwich. With chips.

Best night I've had in ages.

If the bass playing doesn't work out you could always write prose for a living!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Played a boozer in Worthing (the Egremont) with our AC/DC tribute’BAD BOY BOOGIE’. Hard to believe that the band’s been going for 30 years! We’re all old mates and it’s such a laugh. Only do about 3/4 gigs a year with it now but it’s always a craic and last night was no exception. Got a lift too so enjoyed having a few beers with it as well. We dress up with the wigs and all that and don’t take ourselves seriously but the audience always love it, who doesn’t like a bit of DC ! Actually got another one nxt Friday at the cavern in new Malden. 
Rock ‘n roll xx🤣

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

We did a wedding gig last night - nothing fancy, mostly playing background music as the guests arrived. No pay, as the BL had signed us up as a favour for the bride.

One requirement was that at the end of our set, before a ceilidh band came on, the bride's father was to join us on stage to play some blues harmonica. As it happens he was clearly sober and pretty good at it.

• Like 15

9 hours ago, Boodang said:

Good point!! Just using an old Laney 1 x 15 combo (160 watts and quite punchy), a Doc Lloyd Photon death ray comp and a combination of a Squier Jazz with custom pups and a Musicman. Around 150 people, didn’t want to be too loud but equally some of the Hendrix numbers can’t be too quiet. Seemed to get the balance about right as we could take the dynamics down to a whisper for things like Worried Life Blues (Robben Ford style) and Little Wing, and push it back up for the likes of Fire and Purple Haze. 

Cheers @Boodang its always nice to know what gear the bass player's using.

I know its a bit geeky but i am the proverbial bass geek. :hi:

Dave

1 hour ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Played a boozer in Worthing (the Egremont) with our AC/DC tribute’BAD BOY BOOGIE’. Hard to believe that the band’s been going for 30 years! We’re all old mates and it’s such a laugh. Only do about 3/4 gigs a year with it now but it’s always a craic and last night was no exception. Got a lift too so enjoyed having a few beers with it as well. We dress up with the wigs and all that and don’t take ourselves seriously but the audience always love it, who doesn’t like a bit of DC ! Actually got another one nxt Friday at the cavern in new Malden. 
Rock ‘n roll xx🤣

Can't go wrong with some AC/DC. Its the favoured music in our gym for some odd reason, even younger girls like it and that always surprises me but its good to work out to.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Rock ‘n roll xx🤣

Been trying to get in there for yonks 🙁

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Rock ‘n roll xx🤣

There's a rock band that have to have all their gear set up *exactly* the same way at every gig, they're called OC/DC.

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Last night was third time out with my recently acquired Fender TB600 head, via my BF Super Twin. Bass was my AVRI 63 Precision strung with Chromes. Venue was a gopping estate pub outside Bristol but the staff and punters were friendly enough, despite medically inadvisable levels of inebriation among some of the latter.

Suffice to say that I enjoyed the gig, thanks to (1) the sound coming out of my rig, (2) the playing of the lead guitarist.

• Like 14