Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 21/10/2024 at 21:18, leschirons said:

Ariel Square four? You were spoilt rotten. 1968? Ford Thames van? Two seats? We were a trio! I had to sit on the engine cover in the middle!! Arse already on fire when we arrived at every gig!!!!!

Ariel Square four?...you had it EASY....

Our van was a VW micro-bus without an engine. We ran it Flintstone-like down the road in our bare feet. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, msb said:

I hit a point in my 30’s where I decided that I was done travelling and was only taking gigs in town. The circuit was a misery. I was tired of the road food and the hours sitting in a van.

It was a good call.

To be fair we all travel in separate cars these days as we are scattered across approx 100 miles. We try to aim for gigs somewhere between Wanlockhead and Perth.

What i have found is that after a gig a nice wee McDonalds burger sets me up for a longer 2hr+ drive home altho A9 doesn't really have many service stops so you need to be "adaptable" after drinking a pint of cola before you drive. :biggrin:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

nice wee MacDonalds burger

I understand the words "nice" and "wee" together, especially at my age, but not the Macdonalds and burger bit...

I can just about cope with a Burger King Angus, but it's just the disappointment associated with the Big Mac. It's not particularly Big, and it's a tired looking thing when compared to the pic.

A portion of decent chippy chips is another matter entirely!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 22/09/2024 at 08:23, ricksterphil said:

I'm told The Donkey is to close (again) soon, which is a shame if it happens. Always liked gigging there.

On 22/09/2024 at 09:18, bassbiscuits said:

Yeah I keep hearing that every couple of years and I’m never sure what the story is. I think it’s closed and reopened in the past.

It would be a shame tho as it’s one of the few proper live music venues around here. 

I've just seen a post from the new manager saying that he will be continuing with live entertainment.

What my guitarist sent me...

IMG-20241024-WA0004.thumb.jpg.4b9e8f8aabcac37a7548b2ea3a6f7f3c.jpg

Hooray!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I understand the words "nice" and "wee" together, especially at my age, but not the Macdonalds and burger bit...

I can just about cope with a Burger King Angus, but it's just the disappointment associated with the Big Mac. It's not particularly Big, and it's a tired looking thing when compared to the pic.

A portion of decent chippy chips is another matter entirely!

100% on the Angus burger but BK are rare outside of city centres around this area whereas MacD's are far more common. The smaller Big Mac is a good size for me before a long drive home. Not sure i could eat an Angus burger before driving 2hrs +. :tatice_03:

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Fantastic! We are meant to be playing there in December so hopefully that’s back on the cards. 

Yeah, so are we. We don't yet know if he's going to honour existing bookings. It's been a bit of a surprise. Even Gaz Birtles (the usual sound guy) didn't know

Maybe we'll find out some more on Sunday afternoon...

A bit late, but here are some photos from our gig supporting Byronic Sex & Exile 2 weeks ago:

464418165-1022010256563451-6561129585580

464497365-1022010296563447-7426656744675

464559820-1022010286563448-2273664602757

BTW our next gig supporting Aurelio Voltaire on November 5th is now sold out, so if you haven't bought a ticket you won't get in.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 12

On 21/10/2024 at 21:18, leschirons said:

Ariel Square four? You were spoilt rotten. 1968? Ford Thames van? Two seats? We were a trio! I had to sit on the engine cover in the middle!! Arse already on fire when we arrived at every gig!!!!!

Been through them all, but remember the old Bedford van we used on occasion. Driver and one in the front, one on the engine cover, and on the way home from a Christmas gig with the club band. Three of us in late teems and the bandleader driving who was in his 30’s. Stopped by the law driving round in a car park trying to find the exit and with the drummer in the back divvying up the spoils rescued from the buffet. 

Copper opens the sliding side door to the van: “Blimey there’s more of them!”

Drummer: “Sausage roll officer?” 🤣

Anyway, last night’s gig.

Small pub gig that usually has a good crowd that are up for any sort of music. Sadly tonight it was quite quiet. We are still a guitarist down but not and issue. Squeezed int a smaller space than usual which worked ok. 

Guitarist had issues with his radio at the start of the second set and went to a lead. I had forgotten to charge the xVive IEM’s so ran hard wired with the Behringer P1 - fine with limited space.  Second night with the new Allen&Heath desk / stage box which is is a great improvement on the XR16

I’m out of the plaster cast now and into an air cast boot which makes life easier to get around but I’m still not very mobile and probably shouldn’t have been stood all night.

Generally we played well and the sound was good, though I was told in the the break my sound needed more top - it sounded fine in my IEM’s but I re eq’d slightly. Having had a few gigs recently I felt happier with my BV’s and range had opened up.

Crowd singing and dancing most of the night, just would’ve been nice if there had been more.

• Like 1