Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We played in Beverley yesterday at the wonderful Sun Inn, which is now a monthly gig for

our acoustic duo ‘Milestone’. Arrived at 4.30 pm to set up, and it was already busy.
The gig runs from 5.30 till 8pm, with us doing 3x40 minute sets of 100% audience

requested songs. We had the most ever number of requests, and managed to play

most of them, although we were pleased the lady who’d asked for Britney’s ‘Hit me

baby one more time’ had to leave before we attempted it. Other songs requested

included Springsteen’s ‘I’m on fire’, ‘Broken stones’ and James Taylor’s version

of ‘How sweet it is’ which doubled as a request for some JT and Motown.

This is one of those special gigs where everything is just spot on - a great audience,

brilliant staff etc, and fantastic landlords Paul and Del who really care about music.

( Del even said we should get there a bit earlier next time and he’ll serve us one of 

his legendary Sunday lunches, or Yorkshire Tapas!) Looking forward to our July gig.

IMG_0310.jpeg

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Played in Ipswich Saturday night 10am-1am, started off quiet but soon filled up, apparently punters were very complimentary on the whole.

Highlight of the night for me though was we play "Hate to Say I Told You So" cuts to the bass break, singer says on bass introduces me, guy in the crowd opposite shouts "S**t name!" 🤣

Add to that the A14 being closed on the way home fell into bed at 2:30.

That's one very long gig 10am in morning to 1am in morning. :laugh1:

Sounds like you enjoyed it :hi:

Dave

• Like 1

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

That's one very long gig 10am in morning to 1am in morning. :laugh1:

Sounds like you enjoyed it :hi:

Dave

That would be, seems I'm very adept at typos too! A kebab would have finished it off nicely but I was knackered..

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rodders said:

That would be, seems I'm very adept at typos too! A kebab would have finished it off nicely but I was knackered..

Ooohh i do like a kebab after a gig but usually too late to get one. Did manage a McDonalds at last gig before driving home (drummer was driving that night as we were using another bands PA and drums) Have to say i quite enjoyed sitting in car at McD's having a burger and coke before driving home. All very civilised :biggrin:

Quite a few of my gigs i have to travel up the A9 and its a bit poor the fact we don't have services like motorways that open all night. Probably not enough traffic thru the night to justify it but it would be nice to stop for a coffee after a couple of hrs driving and the prospect of another few  before home.

Got a bike rally in Tomintoul next month. Not looking forward to the 4hr drive each way but my wife will share some of the driving on that one.

Dave

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Ooohh i do like a kebab after a gig but usually too late to get one. Did manage a McDonalds at last gig before driving home (drummer was driving that night as we were using another bands PA and drums) Have to say i quite enjoyed sitting in car at McD's having a burger and coke before driving home. All very civilised :biggrin:

Quite a few of my gigs i have to travel up the A9 and its a bit poor the fact we don't have services like motorways that open all night. Probably not enough traffic thru the night to justify it but it would be nice to stop for a coffee after a couple of hrs driving and the prospect of another few  before home.

Got a bike rally in Tomintoul next month. Not looking forward to the 4hr drive each way but my wife will share some of the driving on that one.

Dave

The bike rally sounds fun, take care on the drive! The drummer wimped out, we had a kebab shop two doors down that's open till 4am..

Think I'd had enough after trying to load out my gear between bouncers and drunks, plus I'm 6' 4" 19st so probably didn't help, next lot of gigs are more civilised or outdoor affairs.

Ronnie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing like as glamorous as some of the gigs you folks have been doing over your weekend: I did two dep gigs with a covers band (Backtracking).

It was at a local fete (worse than death); both days playing two one hour sets 12-13:00, 14-15:00. We had one end of a massive marquee, so much more space than I am used to but directly on the grass (except for the drummer, who got a little platform made of pallets). Gates opened to the public at 10:00, so we had to unload before then and couldn’t get out until about 15:30, which made it a longish day for me with a 40 minute drive each way.

Pics show set up on first day (still waiting for action shots). Day 2 I brought a ground sheet and a sheet of ply to keep the damp and grass mulch off my gear. We originally set up to stand just out side the tent but British summer weather intervened and we had to drag everything inside just before the first set. We were running off a very noisy generator (located just the other side of the tent from me), which struggled a bit: every so often my amp started to fade.

Gear: Blackstar U700 head (recently acquired from BC), back up Warwick Gnome iPro, Barefaced Two10S, Boss wireless, Maruszczyk Elwood 4a medium scale and Nordstrand Acinonyx V1 (back-up). DI into the desk.  I was really pleased with the Blackstar /Two10 combination for this kind of 60s-80s cover work. The ability to change the amp voices at a flick of a switch, or press of a button on the pedal, is fantastic. The drive settings are useful as well: overdrive/distortion/fuzz. I don’t know how accurate the voicing is but it sounds really good to my ears and the band’s sound man as well. I can’t wait to use it on a gig with my LFSys Monza.

Despite the weather we had a group of people watching us and got a lot of positive comments afterwards. Some brave souls even danced for a while. The band picked up about a dozen potential bookings. The sax player had to cry off because of a lurgie, so there was some hasty rearranging of songs and some had to be dropped. They also brought one in that I hadn’t played before but I think I did OK given only one rehearsal before the gig. I had chord sheets on my iPad on a stand to compensate for my aging memory. Weirdly we were tighter on day one, then on day two but it was only about 13C most of the time on Sunday. I was glad I didn’t get the memo about wearing Hawaiian shirts: four of them freezing and me in a sweatshirt and padded jacket, and I was still cold! Lol.

IMG_0918.jpeg

IMG_0919.jpeg

• Like 14

1:40 Sunday afternoon slot at Home Farm Fest was a bit weird. 
Most of the other acts were nice n chilled for a post lunch snooze. But we went down well, some peeps got up and danced even though they wouldn’t know our songs. 
The PsychoDahlias 3rd gig so far but were well rehearsed and getting gig fit. A few more festivals and headliners over the summer and autumn. I’m beginning to enjoy gigging again. 

0a03e9e6-b1d2-4a6d-a494-f0ec8f883e03.jpeg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, casapete said:

We had the most ever number of requests, and managed to playmost of them, although we were pleased the lady who’d asked for Britney’s ‘Hit mebaby one more time’ had to leave before we attempted it.

Travis have done a fun version of this with Mark and Lard so it definitely can work in this format.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I forgot to tune up from drop d last night.

I did that last week - tuned down for 'I Fought the Law' and failed to go back to E for 'Town Like Malice'. What's worse, despite the solo bass intro I didn't notice until the last note of the song. 😃 It may be time for me to move to Ukelele.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

After seeing the name on a zillion tour itineraries, I finally got to play at Dingwalls in London on Saturday with Roxy Magic. It's not a venue I associate with tribute bands and I was worried that we'd battled our way into the dark and twisted heart of the metropolis for the obligatory micro-crowd. Not so. A buzzing room, stuffed full of Roxy Music diehards, it seemed. To add a little bit of WTF-ness, the sound engineer turned out to be Phil  Manzanera's guitar tech, so our poor old guitarist was nervous, to say the least. 

It was loads of fun, soured ever so slightly by the epic trek back to The Black Country. A cup of tea and a couple of slices of toast and marmalade and I was more than ready for bed, tired but happy.

• Like 11

16 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I forgot to tune up from drop d last night.

16 hours ago, ezbass said:

Been there, done that :( 

Very glad it's not just me that does that!

16 hours ago, neepheid said:

I leave myself passive/aggressive notes on the setlist - MATT TUNE TO D, MATT TUNE TO E FFS! etc

Same here - I'm in charge of printing set lists for everyone, and I do one for them and a separate one for myself with messages about all the stuff I might have forgotten, like "Tone full up", "retune to E", "You play the intro on this one" etc etc.  It's not foolproof, though!

15 hours ago, mcnach said:

I thought I was the only one! :D

It seems you're among friends here!

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

Same here - I'm in charge of printing set lists for everyone, and I do one for them and a separate one for myself with messages about all the stuff I might have forgotten, like "Tone full up", "retune to E", "You play the intro on this one" etc etc.  It's not foolproof, though!

I found a bunch of old band-related stuff in the loft about a year ago and amongst all the detritus was this set list with a pithy little aide-mémoire attached. I've partially redacted it for the more sensitive members of the forum...

LRSsetlistcopy.thumb.jpg.fb31161b62cd60095d091b5cfee80c65.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I play a couple of songs where i need crib notes for keys. One i drop D (Into the Valley by Skids) and once had it in my head that it was D# rather than D and if you know the song you play the riff between open D and D on A string (5th fret) so that was fun but i honestly don't think anyone even noticed incl the band.

Other songs i have the key next to the song in set list as we've done it in different keys over the yrs and can never remember what one we now do. 

Dave

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Obrienp said:

It was at a local fete (worse than death); 

Unless this is copyrighted, I’m definitely going to use that. Love it!

Great kit you have there btw! Nice to have picked up some more gigs as a result of the bands performance too! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Whay you need is a Hipshot!

35 minutes ago, neepheid said:

That's not going to stop them forgetting though, is it? ;)

No, no it doesn’t :( . The upside is it’s a quick fix on the fly, but you still feel like a complete knob. :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

No, no it doesn’t :( . The upside is it’s a quick fix on the fly, but you still feel like a complete knob. :facepalm:

I once stated a gig on completely the wrong song... should have been E up to B (clean), I started on drop Eb to D with lots of distortion... 🤮🤮🤮 Shall we make sure we have setlists?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On Saturday night I was out with the covers band, Top Deck, at The Holly Bush, Marehay, Derbyshire. It was only our second gig with Elliott (on Flying-V) as our second guitarist . He’s the third we’ve had in two years. The previous one had to retire through ill-health, the one before that we sacked because of his persistent drink-driving. Fingers crossed we can keep Elliott for a while.

It all went well although we were nearly upstaged by the bar manager parading her pet chicken (not sexy slang).

I used a Mustang PJ through a Markbass LMIII and Barefaced Midget T.

DEFFE79C-2389-457C-8C99-C952B590A13A.jpeg

• Like 14

Hurtsfall were supporting US band Spotlights at The Bodega in Nottingham on Monday.

It's been quite a while since I last did a Monday night gig, and now I remember why. Despite not having to go on ridiculously early there were still only about 30 people there when we went on. However apart from two, none of them had seen us play before and quite a few people of them came up afterwards to say how much they had enjoyed us, despite the fact that musically we don't have a lot in common with the headlining band. We even sold some T-shirts and CDs which was definitely a bonus.

It's a small stage at The Bodega and it doesn't get any bigger after the main band have filled it up with their drum kit and backline, so we had to be creative with the set-up and limited on-stage movements. However for a change we had plenty of time to soundcheck as Spotlights had already finished theirs when we arrived at 5.45, so it was an unexpected pleasure to be able to take our time and get a good balance both on-stage and FoH.

Spotlights were interesting. Musically it's not really the sort of thing I'm into but the performance was great and their bassist produced a couple of notes that made whole venue vibrate, something I've never experienced before and which got the PA engineer frantically trying to locate the rogue frequency, after which sound wasn't quite as dense but at least there was no danger of structural damage!

10.00pm live music curfew meant I was back home before 11.00 which makes a change.

There probably won't be any photos of this one, but if any do emerge on Facebook I'll post them up later.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

While there might not be any photos of last night's gig some excellent live videos of Saturday have appeared.

Here's a minute or so of "Revelator"

Liked that, cracking band image going on between you and the singer. 

Nice one.

Dave

We played McCathy's Sports Bar in Bletchley on Saturday. I believe live music is a relatively new thing there and the guy who runs it is trying to build things up. Very quiet to start with but got busier for our 2nd set.

• Like 14

Revere's *Summer Concert Series

Featuring " She's Right I'm Left"

Thursday Night 6:00-9:00

This is an acoustic gig and we're outside. I hope we have decent weather. Anything can happen in Wisconsin in June.

We play to the dinner crowd. This is a high end crowd we usually do well with. Big tippers $$$.

Daryl

* Summer Concert Series. That's fancy talk. It use to be known as We Have Bands. Lol

FB_IMG_1716652308980.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 12