Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

9 hours ago, Boodang said:

When I'm back in the UK (which is not often) I live just around the corner from McCathy's. It's changed hands over the years and at one stage it was quite rough..... what's it like now?

PS Just down the side street to thew place, there are two cracking Indian restaurants that are worth visiting... Rose of India and Golden Curry.... if you like curries that is.

It was OK actually. First time I had been in there. There was a couple of door men in case of any problems. One of them even helped to carry some of our gear in.

I am not a great curry fan personally!

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

On the originals circuit 35 minutes is more than enough for a support slot. Most support gigs are 30 minutes maximum. However, in a 30 minute originals set you should only be doing one cover at the very most which should be under 4 minutes and well known for your band's genre. I haven't seen the post but I suspect the problem may well lie elsewhere other than the set length.

I disagree with the "stay in your genre" bit - we do guitar based songs with no guitars and drag them kicking and screaming into our world. Goes down well, familiar but different. Variants of "you guys do a kickass version of X" have been said to us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A local band of youngsters has posted on Facebook, wondering why they are struggling to get any gigs:

"we have a 35 minute set ready to go at a moments notice mostly original with a couple covers thrown in"

OK guys, even if you are only looking for support slots, I think you could perhaps put in the effort to learn a few more songs...

I've just seen the Facebook post. It doesn't help that they don't have a drum kit or PA either. 😀

Edited by Franticsmurf

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I agree Dave, really like that 

Thanks Lozz,

It was a bit of a struggle for me. That was the first song of the set. We hadn't played together for quite awhile.

Daryl

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Lozz,

It was a bit of a struggle for me. That was the first song of the set. We hadn't played together for quite awhile.

Daryl

You all looked so at ease with it and from an audience point of view it that's what defines the great bands from the good bands.

Dave

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I hope I get a chance to check out some of the cars too. We played this gig last year with no stage. This year they have a stage.

We have not played together since March 8th. I found a clip from that show.

Daryl 

Really nice job…I enjoyed that!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

I've just seen the Facebook post. It doesn't help that they don't have a drum kit or PA either. 😀

IME, unless you are out in the sticks playing church halls only, as an originals band you don't need a PA. Almost everywhere I've played for the last 30 years has had an in-house PA system, and those few venues that didn't were places that didn't normally put on live music and we would hire a PA specifically for the gig. The only originals bands I've been in that owned any sort of "PA" were those that also had permanent rehearsal spaces and it was strictly for use in there.

On the other hand the lack of a drum kit is probably more of an obstacle. I assume their drummer has at least "breakables"?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, neepheid said:

I disagree with the "stay in your genre" bit - we do guitar based songs with no guitars and drag them kicking and screaming into our world. Goes down well, familiar but different. Variants of "you guys do a kickass version of X" have been said to us.

You are right. What I should have said is that the cover should be either in your genre or arranged/reworked to be in your genre.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

IME, unless you are out in the sticks playing church halls only, as an originals band you don't need a PA

Fair point - I didn't take into account the 'originals' part - and, according to their post they're looking for support slots. I still think it would have been better left out of the post - as you say they can cover their lack of PA with a hire job if necessary and no one would be the wiser.

20 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

You all looked so at ease with it and from an audience point of view it that's what defines the great bands from the good bands.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Here's our version of Ohio. 

Daryl

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Dave,

Here's our version of Ohio. 

Daryl

Excellent once again Daryl. Nice guitar work and drummers backing vocals really nice.

Watched you play a few times now and what strikes me most is how relaxed and free flowing your right hand is. You play a lot of little runs or fill ins but your hand has a natural rhythmic movement much like a rhythm guitarist would have.

I've seen a few pick players play like that and it makes the whole thing very natural looking.

Once again the overall sound is more modern Country to me than blues and i really like it.

Nice one Daryl.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Excellent once again Daryl. Nice guitar work and drummers backing vocals really nice.

Watched you play a few times now and what strikes me most is how relaxed and free flowing your right hand is. You play a lot of little runs or fill ins but your hand has a natural rhythmic movement much like a rhythm guitarist would have.

I've seen a few pick players play like that and it makes the whole thing very natural looking.

Once again the overall sound is more modern Country to me than blues and i really like it.

Nice one Daryl.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I think for me it a longevity thing. I'm not a technical player . I just fell into bass naturally when I was around 13 or 14. My feeling and love for it is the same at 70.

I also think what we do is very "jam brandish" and more of a regional appeal.

I'll be looking for some video from your band Dave.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

@Bluewine - yeah, that’s great. You guys sound fantastic! And yeah the drummer’s BVs are mint. And that silver strat is a killer guitar 😀

Thanks Moley,

I couldn't hear the BVs on stage. I didn't know Max was singing until I saw the video.

Daryl

• Like 1

On 11/06/2024 at 21:39, Bluewine said:

Hi Dave,

We've briefly touched on complimentary meals for the band here.

Thursday night were doing an acoustic gig at a rather high end restaurant.  We've done shows there before and unlike other clients I don't ever remember them offering up any grub. Seems sort of " chincy".

Daryl

We played a 6-8 acoustic gig at Reveredin Delafield last night. 

An hour commute one way.

We played outside to a lovely dinner crowd.  The weather was fantastic. Not a big payday. However all 4 of us walked away with a hundred bucks.

10:30am sound check tomorrow morning for the full Maple Road gig at the car show tomorrow. 

Daryl

20240613_164527.jpg

• Like 10

Dep went ok and I remembered most of it. A couple of moments where I was looking at the set list wondering how a song went and caught up after a bar, but survived. Not a huge crowd and it was a bit of a Wild West town but still fun playing different songs.

Didn’t set up the IEM’s and probably should have done as I was right on top of the amp so everything was going past my knees. 

Had some nice compliments in one of the breaks so I must’ve been doing something right 🙂

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Dave,

I think for me it a longevity thing. I'm not a technical player . I just fell into bass naturally when I was around 13 or 14. My feeling and love for it is the same at 70.

I also think what we do is very "jam brandish" and more of a regional appeal.

I'll be looking for some video from your band Dave.

Daryl

Unfortunately our vids are never on Youtube so its hard to copy over to BC.

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Unfortunately our vids are never on Youtube so its hard to copy over to BC.

Dave

I get it. We never take videos or post them. I ran into these videos by accident.  I don't know who took them or posted them.

Daryl

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We played a 6-8 acoustic gig at Revere's in Delafield Thursday night. 

An hour commute one way.

We played outside to a lovely dinner crowd.  The weather was fantastic. Not a big payday. However all 4 of us walked away with a hundred bucks.

10:30am sound check tomorrow morning for the full Maple Road gig at the car show tomorrow. 

Daryl

20240613_164527.jpg

FB_IMG_1718433598139~2.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 5