Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

34 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I parallel tested my 77 Precision against a Lull Precision in Bass Direct a few years ago.  I came away thinking my Fender sounded more Precisiony (Read Peaches: Stranglers sound), but it ways a ton and I have had to do quite a lot of work to keep it up to snuff....so horses for courses.

My Lull is around 3.75 kg so nice n light

• Like 1

Absolutely hilarious evening. 

Was asked on Friday night to stand in to play corporate drinks background music. Received set list, mostly standards or tunes I've played before, a few curveballs, but stuck them on Spotify and listened to them on my way to work on Saturday morning. 

Decided I could have a better look on Monday morning - which didn't happen for various reasons.

Had a quick run through of a couple of songs at 4pm and started at 5. About 50 people turned up and were mostly gone by 6:30. 

Was good to meet new musicians who didn't take it all far too seriously, lots of interesting endings, missed bridges and extra choruses. Sounded great and they loved us. 

• Like 14

23 hours ago, BCH said:

First gig since shoulder surgery (cant use a strap for months!!!) with the bass on a stand. Looks weird but worked & very easy.

PHOTO-2024-06-24-08-23-34.thumb.jpg.6ecc9b0207f851960f5f7666d658d336.jpg

I

Nice vid/recording.👍

I use a stand occasionally, when my back is really killing me but only for practices. I find I end up picking the whole thing up because I want to move when playing. It probably defeats the object of using it! I noticed you were moving it about a bit too. I worry that the bolts are going to undo and the thing will collapse when I step away from it. That hasn’t happened yet but it’s at the back of my mind when I use it. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Nice vid/recording.👍

I use a stand occasionally, when my back is really killing me but only for practices. I find I end up picking the whole thing up because I want to move when playing. It probably defeats the object of using it! I noticed you were moving it about a bit too. I worry that the bolts are going to undo and the thing will collapse when I step away from it. That hasn’t happened yet but it’s at the back of my mind when I use it. 😏

Its very well built Konig & Meyer (german).  Have given it some welly, to test, 2hr gig & 3hrs of rehearsals and the joints have remained tight critically the angle (neck up down) the joint has ratchet. Its a gig/pain saver. So I will keep using and checking

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Superb stuff there. Really enjoyed that and the bass sounded amazing. I'm guessing you were thru the PA ?

Dave

Thanks Dave, it was, I used my Little Marcus to DI and monitors. Sound was a bit confused on stage - but managed. Used the Sandberg, still loving this bass even with the black label pup. It’s backup should turn up later this week - I felt exposed just taking one bass….

• Like 2

On 24/06/2024 at 15:06, dmccombe7 said:

Proper little business venture going on there then :biggrin:

Is Sound and Lighting a 3rd band or literally PA &Lighting hire Daryl.

If a 3rd band what kind of music are you doing with that one as i don't think i've seen any vids of them. ?

Dave

Dave,

Number 3 is providing sound and lights to other bands.

Daryl

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, martthebass said:

Thanks Dave, it was, I used my Little Marcus to DI and monitors. Sound was a bit confused on stage - but managed. Used the Sandberg, still loving this bass even with the black label pup. It’s backup should turn up later this week - I felt exposed just taking one bass….

what Sandberg did you get Mart.?

Dave

41 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

what Sandberg did you get Mart.?

Dave

I'm using a Lionel VS4, virgin white, soft core aged - light as a feather and great sound.  I've got another one coming this week, Lionel VS4 active, shell pink, not aged - unfortunately it had to go back a few weeks back as it had a cosmetic flaw which is now hopefully resolved. I'll post it on the Sandberg thread with a bit of luck. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I'm using a Lionel VS4, virgin white, soft core aged - light as a feather and great sound.  I've got another one coming this week, Lionel VS4 active, shell pink, not aged - unfortunately it had to go back a few weeks back as it had a cosmetic flaw which is now hopefully resolved. I'll post it on the Sandberg thread with a bit of luck. 

Nice.

I do like my Sandberg basses. They just have a nice feel to them.

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Dave

• Like 1

Another gig at a bluegrass festival last night. Only 4 of us (bass, banjo, mandolin and guitar) and we met for our usual one hour rehearsal just before our set and then had a lot of fun on stage with only a few minor issues. We have played this festival before and the sound was great, even better than usual with the perfect mix coming through the monitors. I had a bass solo in one song, quite rare in bluegrass, and nailed it and came home feeling very good about the evening. No photos this time but it was a lovely warm evening, perfect weather for an outdoor show and we will be back in early August for another festival. I'm mainly a jazz guy but these bluegrass gigs really keep me on my toes and playing with very good musicians is always a bonus and of course learning new songs is good for me musically and mentally. 😊

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 25/06/2024 at 04:43, TimR said:

Had a quick run through of a couple of songs at 4pm and started at 5. About 50 people turned up and were mostly gone by 6:30. 

Depending on the venue 50 people ain't bad. Lot's of us have played to allot less.

Daryl

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Depending on the venue 50 people ain't bad. Lot's of us have played to allot less.

Daryl

Yes. They usually get 200 on a Thursday but in London Thursday is the new Friday and on Monday the city is deserted.

The last gig I did with my main band we had 2 people watching plus the 3 'fans' that follow us everywhere.

• Like 2

TONIGHT!

Played Sousaphone with The Acid Morris for their Solstice (ish (Solstish?)) dance out under the concrete henge of Spaghetti Junction (Gravelly Hill Interchange for the pedants).

The Acid Morris are like nothing you've ever seen, even in your wildest Psilocybin-fuelled fever dreams: Border Morris Dancing to techno remixes of traditional Morris tunes and tonight for the first time ever, a Sousaphone.

Probably one of the weirdest things I've ever done, and possibly the world's first (?) Techno-Sousaphone-Morris Dance mashup (under Spaghetti Junction).

It was a ton of fun, there were sermons (one entreated the audience (there was an audience!) to teach their tortoises to sing) , testimonies (mostly nonsensical (one about the benefits of Morris cats as opposed to Morris dogs (of which there are many))), there was a bit where we all cast soft toys into a bin bag (not sure why), a speech about how the Sousaphone is in fact the preferred instrument of the angels (followed by a short (improvised) Sousaphone solo) and several techno Morris dances.

After that, it descended into a more or less full on rave (with Sousaphone accompaniment) which was ace - it was my first time jamming along to a techo DJ and it went down really well. I don't think anyone there had ever seen/heard a Sousaphone player jamming along with loud dance music under Spaghetti Junction.

The ONE TIME your Sousaphone lights aren't charged up, you end up at a rave. LIVID.

I was tempted to stay and have one of the funny looking peppermints that were going round, but my designated driver (who is also (sort of) the main idiot (and also my Dad)) was keen to nake a move (and I'm gigging tomorrow) so good sense prevailed and it was back home about 11:30 for a homebrew cider (ABV unknown) and a cheese and pickle roll instead.

Their sound system has the potential for hooking up the SA C4 synth pedal, so there's every chance the next outing will involve Sousa -> Wireless mic -> synth pedal, which could be quite something.

• Like 15

Very cool little venue last night, Percy’s in Whitchurch. Decent sound via 2 x Orange 1x15s, although I still prefer my 4x10. The Greco is such a pleasure to play too….. great bass.

IMG_5496.thumb.jpeg.075d962909c1f2a861db46d028e3e2cb.jpeg

• Like 16