Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

36 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Choked...

We're with The Spontanes (ex-Macc lads) tonight.

Ha…… we played with the Macc Lads a couple of times back in the day. Definitely fun times. Have a good one 🤘🏻

• Like 1

A bit different for me last night. Went to see Alex's (our guitarist and bl in Bluesfire) other band for the first time The Rogues. A bunch of youngsters playing rocky britpop. Their new  'Live at Rockfield' ep has a definite Oasis vibe, probably because they had an ex-Oasis producer.

On stage they were really good and had a more aggressive sound closer to the 'phonics, kaiser chiefs or manic street preachers.

Compensation for not being on stage was being recognised by their bass player's dad 😁

They also announced they are Number 3 in the physical singles chart!

20240628_213811.thumb.jpg.01ceac58515a9769c245eccbf4acf670.jpg

• Like 13

Four increasingly short sets at the Charlbury beer festival today. We were accosted by quite a few people who said they liked what we did, and Witney radio were interested in recording some for one of their programmes.

• Like 12

An odd one last night, playing with Nine Lives at the Balaclava Bar in Fraserburgh.  We had to get a dep singer, as the gig was booked before we got our new singer on board and she couldn't make it.  Thankfully, our previous singer agreed to step in, which is probably the best kind of dep in terms of familiarity with both the material and playing with us.  We also got some new powered speakers for our PA.

Gig went well, but it was a strange night - it was only moderately busy, but we had people up dancing and I could see people singing along.  Yet come the end of most of the songs, nothing, nada, very little response.  The floor wasn't even sticky at the end, very unusual for the Balaclava.  Oh well, a gig's a gig.

Gear used: Epiphone Les Paul (not very) Standard (anymore), then Yamaha BB1200, into Markbass Mini CMD 121P IV + New York 121.

20240629Balaclavagear1.thumb.jpg.7641de9f65ab447b4d4da946eddafc59.jpg20240629Balaclavagear2.thumb.jpg.48887f31390b491d8f7abb9b76914138.jpg

• Like 18

On 28/06/2024 at 15:53, TimR said:

Yes. They usually get 200 on a Thursday but in London Thursday is the new Friday and on Monday the city is deserted.

The last gig I did with my main band we had 2 people watching plus the 3 'fans' that follow us everywhere.

It can be a tough business.  For example,  the attached pic is pretty cool. You can't tell we're playing to 10 people in a huge room. Lol

Daryl

FB_IMG_1717962176908.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Yes. They usually get 200 on a Thursday but in London Thursday is the new Friday and on Monday the city is deserted.

The last gig I did with my main band we had 2 people watching plus the 3 'fans' that follow us everywhere.

It can be a tough business.  For example,  the attached pic is pretty cool. You can't tell we're playing to 10 people in a huge room. Lol

Daryl

Daryl

• Haha 1

Billy Bootleggers in the popular Ouseburn area of Newcastle upon Tyne. Great live music bar with in-house PA & engineer (who actually knows what he’s doing). The bar has three bands on each Saturday, and we had our favourite 5pm kick-off slot. Lots of folk in for the music supplemented by passing trade and with dry warm weather, there was plenty of passing trade. We played well and the bonus of being home by 8pm makes it doubly pleasing. Oh and first gig with the Finally v2 ‘with bass in mind’ and I couldn’t be happier with how this sounds, now at the end of my chain (arguably where it’s supposed to be) it provided a lovely fat warm input to my amp, and the engineer said it’s the best D.I. he’s heard in a while. Oh and we got paid too 😎

IMG_8435.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

• Like 15

Kay, so: not as bad as I’d expected. 4 Play (🤤) at Smith’s in Bourne. As good as a pub gets. Brilliant place. Double yellows, 200 yd walk with the gear and nowhere near to park though. We played well. One of my run downs in Don’t Look Back You Wan### was mint. My harmonies were excellent, frankly.

I’d been dreading it after the last car crash gig. Good sound… outdoors, DI’d the acoustic and electric amps, kick drum and sub but bass amp was on its own. Nice to crank the GK for a change. The RB sound when the boost power amp is given some beans is the best bass amp sound on the planet - official. Into a Barefaced 12 with some tube style hair from the SA Aftershock and a 1mm plectrum and I’m like: pass the Kleenex.

Fender USA Dimension 5 stringer, Boss wireless snd Robert Keeley’s Bassist compressor always on to make it just so. Dimly aware that other comps exist: meh.

• Like 14

Had a blast at the excellent Percy's in Whitchurch, Shropshire.

Turned out we were headlining, which meant late bed for this old codger - I'd been hoping to be home by ten 😁

First up we had Taser Puppets - 3 piece with and early Velvets sound. Good stuff!

Then, the Spontanes - they had a couple of ex-members of foul-mouthed punks The Macc Lads; they did a set of punk covers of 50s and 60s stuff. They were seriously tight with great arrangements, plus plenty of dirty jokes from Muttley.

Then we were on. Not only that but we were also tight as, with nary a mistake and though I say it myself, we smashed it. And the sound-man there is awesome - couldn't ask for much better, no feedback, no mush, everything clear as a bell with heft, oomph, thwack in boatloads.

I used my ACG Recurve into Helix and my old Marshall Jubilee amp with the venue's brilliant and enormous Mesa 2x15. Very happy with that!

Choked1Percys29-6-24.png

• Like 16

On 29/06/2024 at 08:54, Rayman said:

Very cool little venue last night, Percy’s in Whitchurch. Decent sound via 2 x Orange 1x15s, although I still prefer my 4x10. The Greco is such a pleasure to play too….. great bass.

IMG_5496.thumb.jpeg.075d962909c1f2a861db46d028e3e2cb.jpeg

Used to be one of my locals when I lived in Whitchurch (until last year). I prefer the Black Bear as a beer and food option though at the top end of High Street (it doesn't usually do music).

• Like 1

In a completely different vein, I was out with the cello last night with a concert in Carlisle... not quite 70s punk... And in case you're wondering why the drummer's stool... the church's chairs are too low for me and cause cramp in my right leg. I bought it when one orchestra I played in rehearsed in a primary school...IMG_5045.thumb.JPG.021c0aa0cbc162319705663d37e2d352.JPG 

IMG_5049.thumb.JPG.242b408f188c3ab31cb0d3871136e7bf.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

The Rock Formation returned to play The New Inn in Buckingham last night. Great night but very hot, quite a few commented on how much they enjoyed our sets. Dep drummer as our own is recovering from a recent operation. No pics, we are back there in October.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Had a blast at the excellent Percy's in Whitchurch, Shropshire.

Turned out we were headlining, which meant late bed for this old codger - I'd been hoping to be home by ten 😁

First up we had Taser Puppets - 3 piece with and early Velvets sound. Good stuff!

Then, the Spontanes - they had a couple of ex-members of foul-mouthed punks The Macc Lads; they did a set of punk covers of 50s and 60s stuff. They were seriously tight with great arrangements, plus plenty of dirty jokes from Muttley.

Then we were on. Not only that but we were also tight as, with nary a mistake and though I say it myself, we smashed it. And the sound-man there is awesome - couldn't ask for much better, no feedback, no mush, everything clear as a bell with heft, oomph, thwack in boatloads.

I used my ACG Recurve into Helix and my old Marshall Jubilee amp with the venue's brilliant and enormous Mesa 2x15. Very happy with that!

Choked1Percys29-6-24.png

Always fancied playing at Percy's but it's a bit of a hike from Leicester and the fee isn't brilliant 

21 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

Always fancied playing at Percy's but it's a bit of a hike from Leicester and the fee isn't brilliant 

The fee barely covers fuel!

But we feel it's worth playing there as it's a place worthy of support.

They put on bands 2 or 3 nights a week, up to 3 at a time in all genres, it's free to get in, they've got a brilliant soundman and I think grass-roots venues like this deserve every break they can get! As we don't do it for the money - it's effectively a hobby - we're happy to do that. It's not as if they're charging on the door, then charging loads for food and drink then underpaying the bands; they also support foreign touring bands too with free accommodation. I'm happy to play there for a fifth time as well if they they want us...

• Like 5

LAST NIGHT!

Dance to the floor (5 piece girl-fronted pop band) at Memoirs in Walsall. Oh, the glamour!
Dep singer as our usual frontgirl was otherwise engaged (again 🤨) which meant a couple of key changes, which I weirdly quite like having to do - I feel like learning the songs in a slightly different key is a useful way of getting to know them better? Somehow?

It was a 30th birthday party, so we were expecting an absolute rager.
By 9 o'clock (first set time), there were about 15 people in there, so we twiddled our thumbs FOR AN HOUR until the other 15 people turned up and they'd all partaken of the (very good) Indian buffet. Went on about 10 to a very small and disinterested (uniterested? I can never remember the difference) audience of older folk and vey young children. Oddly, there were very few 20-30 year olds in there.

A very dispiriting set, we played pretty well considering. Dep singer did a cracking job. She's got a different voice and style to our usual, she was a bit nervous (first time gigging with a band (!) as her main thing is solo gigs with backing tracks) and she's not used to IEMs but she did a great job.

Quick vape and moan about the audience break, back on for another set to even fewer people (what sort of party IS this?!) and even less response than the first. We were all pretty much phoning it in by this point.

Played the StingRay 5 -> New Improved Enormous Pedalboard (NIEPB - I won't list everything that's on there as I'm going out in an hour) - MB 802 -> PA.

The 5 is still a work in progress... I'm alright on the stuff I've learnt on 5, but had a few wobbles on the stuff I'm used to playing on 4. I'm going to start playing the 5er on 'normal' gigs to really get my head (and hands) round it.

The highlights were 'Forget You' which I love playing, especially the tricky Bass bits in the middle 8 (I'll get them right one day) and the Indian food.

Packed up, loaded out, drove home, Cider.

Meh!

5 string.jpg

Edited by StingRayBoy42
Added pic
  • Like 12
  • Sad 4

15 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

LAST NIGHT!

Dance to the floor (5 piece girl-fronted pop band) at Memoirs in Walsall. Oh, the glamour!
Dep singer as our usual frontgirl was otherwise engaged (again 🤨) which meant a couple of key changes, which I weirdly quite like having to do - I feel like learning the songs in a slightly different key is a useful way of getting to know them better? Somehow?

It was a 30th birthday party, so we were expecting an absolute rager.
By 9 o'clock (first set time), there were about 15 people in there, so we twiddled our thumbs FOR AN HOUR until the other 15 people turned up and they'd all partaken of the (very good) Indian buffet. Went on about 10 to a very small and disinterested (uniterested? I can never remember the difference) audience of older folk and vey young children. Oddly, there were very few 20-30 year olds in there.

A very dispiriting set, we played pretty well considering. Dep singer did a cracking job. She's got a different voice and style to our usual, she was a bit nervous (first time gigging with a band (!) as her main thing is solo gigs with backing tracks) and she's not used to IEMs but she did a great job.

Quick vape and moan about the audience break, back on for another set to even fewer people (what sort of party IS this?!) and even less response than the first. We were all pretty much phoning it in by this point.

Played the StingRay 5 -> New Improved Enormous Pedalboard (NIEPB - I won't list everything that's on there as I'm going out in an hour) - MB 802 -> PA.

The 5 is still a work in progress... I'm alright on the stuff I've learnt on 5, but had a few wobbles on the stuff I'm used to playing on 4. I'm going to start playing the 5er on 'normal' gigs to really get my head (and hands) round it.

The highlights were 'Forget You' which I love playing, especially the tricky Bass bits in the middle 8 (I'll get them right one day) and the Indian food.

Packed up, loaded out, drove home, Cider.

Meh!

5 string.jpg

I go beer and toast post gig 😎

• Like 1

Played an ‘interesting’ Dog & Duck equivalent in Dawlish, Devon last night for a town pub festival thang. First outing for my BF cab, sounded tremendous, as did my bitsa P 🤩

IMG_7498.thumb.jpeg.bb7cb12ed7c432e2e2558f0494fddcb4.jpeg

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Raslee said:

Played an ‘interesting’ Dog & Duck equivalent in Dawlish, Devon last night for a town pub festival thang. First outing for my BF cab, sounded tremendous, as did my bitsa P 🤩

IMG_7498.thumb.jpeg.bb7cb12ed7c432e2e2558f0494fddcb4.jpeg

Nice looking P bass there.

Dave