Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Bastile Days coming this Friday night.

Small snippet for you, Daryl; there were only 7 people in the Bastille when it was stormed: 4 common counterfeiters, two chaps with mental illness and a Count who'd been locked up at the request of his family. It was more of a gesture than anything, the place had started 300 years before as a royal prison, but by 1789 was like a cross between a posh security unit (fully furnished rooms, wine was on the menu, prisoners could bring their servants) and an asylum.

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

What are you called and what was your gear set-up?

Ohhh, don't get me started on the gear...there's soooo much of it...we have a percussionist with 3 big congas and a couple of bongos, so it's like two drummers on stage. No backline, the drummer and I are inears, singist/guitard has a monitor that the percussionist can hear. Stand lights and half a dozen floor rotating spots (the BL has loads of lights and a smoke machine, so it's always a selection), and there's a sax to set up for one of the numbers, too (Good Times: the BL loops his guitar (this one's to a click), then puts it down to sing/rap, then picks up the sax and buggers off into the audience while I watch the football - well, it's just one riff for a lonnnnnng time, that song). Everything through the PA (inc four channels of drums) which is just two RCF 745s, which is plenty. Posh programmable Yamaha desk, everyone can have their own monitor mix. The stage floor looks like that scene in Indiana Jones where he falls into the snake pit...

Being the bassist, and therefore the most sensible person, all I have is my Stomp and a couple of basses, one of which usually stays in its case.

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

I wont be mean and ask name of band and brand of basses😈 

That would really be nerdish…

Go on Mickey, ask the question. Its why we're all here, to find out what basses and amps other players are using.

No interest in any other gear, just the bass gear and name of the band is always nice.

When i post i start with both venue and band name and usually end with bass gear.

Dave

• Like 1

Played with Nine Lives at Wilsons in Aberdeen last night.   No gear photos, sorry - some muppet left his phone at home, d'oh!

Gig went pretty well, we're still getting used to the new PA speakers so took a couple of songs to get the levels etc. right.  A few fluffs here and there but no-one seemed to mind.  Plenty busy in the first half - maybe a bit too busy - had some woman grinding up behind me during one song, not so much as a cigarette paper between us but oh well, at least I didn't get groped.  Grin and bear it - the perils of performing at floor level I guess.  Second half was quieter, but we hardened up the rock a bit and they were digging it.

Also our guest "guitarist" Gordon came up for a few songs, so that was fun.

Gear was the Sire D5 followed by the Reverend Triad into the usual rig - Markbass Mini CMD121P IV + New York 121

• Like 10

Not at all...the band is Defunked, and the basses...given the possible post-match drunken shenanigans and it being a new venue, I took the cheapest basses, just in case; the new Squier Sonic P (which was a lightweight joy, pics on another NBD thread here) and the BB414, which is a fallback now, and did indeed stay in its case (Mono double). If I'm playing a venue I know to be good, or it's a more upmarket gig (wedding, corporate, etc), I'll take one (or two) of my Shukers. If its a rock gig with another band (which doesn't go out much), I'll take my Shukerbird...

I have to say, though, that on the last two gigs (the first two with the bass) the Sonic P was so good (a P that looks good, sounds like a P, J neck and weighs under 8lbs? All boxes ticked for me) that it'll be my go-to for a good while to come.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Muzz said:

the band is Defunked

Cool! I take it you're not Kim Clarke though? 😁

Saw y'all a couple of times in the 80s, both times with Kim on bass... (Just noticed she's got what looks like one of those crazy early Warwick basses, one for sale here at the moment!)

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good Lord no...a world of difference in '..ked' and '..kt'. And not necessarily for the better, in our case...

PS A purple Kramer Duke? Oh my...

Edited by Muzz

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

...Had some woman grinding up behind me during one song, not so much as a cigarette paper between us but oh well, at least I didn't get groped. 

Did she pluck your G string?

• Haha 5

Yeah, I looked at just about every headless in Christendom on my search for lighter basses, and even bought a Hondo Alien, which is a cheapo clone of this (there's a chance it could be a Hondo, but with a band of that quality I very much doubt it), I'm pretty sure they didn't do a purple one, then again there's not much to paint...

Here's a black one:

image.png.c742b7ecd752525ac0cdc3d2d6fd7081.png

• Like 4

We played a new venue for us called Inside the 22 in Rugby. So not only a reference to the game of Rugby in the town of Rugby, but the postcode is CV22 @Bluewine - the Zip code Daryl 😊.

Nice big stage, decent PA and the sound guy Oli (also the owner) was excellent. 

We bashed through our set and included 3 originals, which went down really well. It's funny and flattering watching an audience trying to sing the words of an original cos they think they've heard it before somewhere.

Used my goto rig of Mike Lull P4 with my Handbox R400 and matching cab, with the thumpinator in the effects loop.

Band is called Southern Frontier Country Band so no prizes for guessing the genre.

Here's that old chestnut Country Roads - actually one of my favourites to play - the middle eight really makes it.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/EkEq7M1eDtAWkSs2/

• Like 12

18 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

That's a real shame; those gigs are the hardest to stomach.

Sounds like the gig we did in Baraboo. Pitched to us as an upscale tent blues festival. Sound and lights provided

( sort of).

OMG, we get there and we were directed to this small raggedy tent with the roof leaking from the rain. I think the stage was made from a series of stacked plastic milk crates. The sound was from 1972. Two old guys sitting in front of an ancient 12 channel Beringer board. I asked one of them about an XLR out. He pointed to a spare XLR cord on the grass. Can you believe he actually expected me to physically connect the XLR. LOL

The whole thing was strictly "po dunk".

Daryl

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

We played a new venue for us called Inside the 22 in Rugby. So not only a reference to the game of Rugby in the town of Rugby, but the postcode is CV22 @Bluewine - the Zip code Daryl 😊.

Nice big stage, decent PA and the sound guy Oli (also the owner) was excellent. 

We bashed through our set and included 3 originals, which went down really well. It's funny and flattering watching an audience trying to sing the words of an original cos they think they've heard it before somewhere.

Used my goto rig of Mike Lull P4 with my Handbox R400 and matching cab, with the thumpinator in the effects loop.

Band is called Southern Frontier Country Band so no prizes for guessing the genre.

Here's that old chestnut Country Roads - actually one of my favourites to play - the middle eight really makes it.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/EkEq7M1eDtAWkSs2/

CV22, What da? Lol

Daryl

• Haha 1

Did my first gig for 12 weeks on Friday night. (back injury prevented me)

It was just a pub, with my 80s duo, I was singing and playing guitar. Sometimes sitting on my stool, mostly standing.

We all had a great time and with a 10.30 finish, was home with my dinner by 11.30

happy days

• Like 16

A two gig weekend for me in the covers band Top Deck. Both not-for-profit outdoor community events. Friday was the South Normanton Gala, an annual event for the small town close to Junction 29 of the M1. There was a good, covered stage and a decent PA and sound crew. Back line not supplied, so I took my Markbass LM3 and Barefaced Midget T. Plenty loud enough on stage and the soundman miced it up for ‘out there’ on the field. I played my Mustang PJ. As far as I could tell, everyone before us had sang to backing tracks, so an hour of a full band changed the atmosphere and we had a loud and appreciative audience. No pay for anyone, but drink and food tokens. I was driving, so put my efforts into eating chips.

Saturday was Folk in the Woods* , an annual mini-festival at the Waingroves Community Woodland. The woodland area had a coal mine until the 1980’s and has been revived into a nature reserve and community asset. Top Deck were top of the bill and by the time we went on stage England had won the football and people were streaming back from the nearby village and pub. All good fun and a couple of encores. 
No money, but drink and food tokens again. There was back line supplied, so I took the opportunity to use the bus, just taking my Mustang and a few bits. Guess how I spent my tokens. 🍻 

Sunday I mostly spent sitting in the garden.

*Not folk music, folk as in people.

• Like 15

Two gigs this weekend, and two new songs to add - blondie, call me, 4 semitones down, and BeeGees you should be dancing, which leads into Does your mother know, which was an existing song, same key, just faster, so expected some kind of an issue on them, and although there was, it was nothing unfixable.

First gig at a pub that pays well, and we had a good crowd in there, some couple who were out to dance and did so from the start, and by the end the place was all moving, Could have done without the old guy who stood about 2 foot in front of me with his arm up for the last hour, but I guess he was happy. Also could have done without someone putting a pint of beer in front of the PA and then obviously kicking it over, which I had to stop to clear up. As it is I put stuff on the sub to ensure that people don't put their beer there 'Ooh, here is a not totally level vibrating surface, that is a perfect place to put a drink!'

Second gig was an afternoon in a fixed marque on top of a hill, always good there although the weather wasn't good and it confirmed our suspicions about the quality of their wiring. The guitarist couldn't get his guitars not to be buzzing, adn then later on at the end of the gig, the singer sat down on the floor, which turned out to be wet, and when he hit his face with the microphone got an electric shock :/

Someone is going to have a problem there!

Anyway, apart from having to move slightly from the edge due to the rain, it went well, again the new songs went down well, all good.

• Like 12

Southern Incorporated gig yesterday, social club in an old mining village in County Durham. Nice size room with plenty of enthusiastic audience members. We played really well, and slipped in a couple of newer songs as we ramp up to a major bike festival show at the end of August. Seemed to go down well with the audience as we received a standing ovation at the end of our second encore. Nice when the promoter hands you the money and says “after a performance like that I feel like I am ripping you off paying only this much” - job done 😎

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

CV22, What da? Lol

As he said, like a zip code, but more splittable - the first block of the postcode so shows an area of the country (the full postcode shows the street or side of the street).

So if you go to google and type CV22 in the uk, it will show you a little blob on the map that it covers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JPJ said:

Southern Incorporated gig yesterday, social club in an old mining village in County Durham. Nice size room with plenty of enthusiastic audience members. We played really well, and slipped in a couple of newer songs as we ramp up to a major bike festival show at the end of August. Seemed to go down well with the audience as we received a standing ovation at the end of our second encore. Nice when the promoter hands you the money and says “after a performance like that I feel like I am ripping you off paying only this much” - job done 😎

TITG by any chance at end of Aug ?

Dave

On 07/07/2024 at 08:09, Muzz said:

Small snippet for you, Daryl; there were only 7 people in the Bastille when it was stormed: 4 common counterfeiters, two chaps with mental illness and a Count who'd been locked up at the request of his family. It was more of a gesture than anything, the place had started 300 years before as a royal prison, but by 1789 was like a cross between a posh security unit (fully furnished rooms, wine was on the menu, prisoners could bring their servants) and an asylum.

I'm going to impress my band mates with that Bastille history.

Thanks

Daryl

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

As he said, like a zip code, but more splittable - the first block of the postcode so shows an area of the country (the full postcode shows the street or side of the street).

So if you go to google and type CV22 in the uk, it will show you a little blob on the map that it covers

Cool, my zip code is 53095. I'm not sure what that brings up on Google. 

Daryl

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

Cool, my zip code is 53095. I'm not sure what that brings up on Google...

Snap (almost...)..! Mine is 53110; we're (almost...) neighbours..! :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 07/07/2024 at 08:09, Muzz said:

FB_IMG_1720456276664.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1