Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Royal Blues, at The King & Queen, in Fitzrovia.

Acoustic night, drummer played a Cajon. It was still a tight squeeze on stage, our line up is vox, bass, guitar, drummer, and 3 backing vox.

It went really well, people were surprised when told it was the first gig for the band. 

Gear for me, Rob Allen Mouse, Swiff Audio wireless, into the house bands mini Markbass combo which fed into the PA.

IMG_20240712_173444.thumb.jpg.f6469a85eb7cf8189e80f37fbf2bd633.jpg

• Like 9

On 13/07/2024 at 13:11, Stub Mandrel said:

We've got the Llandovery Bike Weekend on Sunday. £30... to split!

But the event supports Blood Bikes Wales.

Emergency Exit at Tomintoull bike rally. Left the house at 2pm got there 6pm with a 15min stop at Costa coffee in Aviemore.

The organisers of TMG Bike rally gave us 50% more than we originally asked to cover our fuel costs as well so all in all it turned out to be a worthwhile gig. Busy, plenty of dancing and full floor by the end of the night. Lots of people telling us good things at the end when i was packing up the car. Luckily my wife took a spell at the driving and that made a huge difference  on the 3.5hr drive home thru mist, fog and heavy rain. Only good thing on way home was not a lot of traffic but weather kinda defeated that advantage so no real time gains made once we got past the average speed cameras on the A9.

Used my Godin bass into Shure GLXD wireless and into Handbox WB-100 and Mesa SW210/115 cabs. No PA support but from what i was told it sounded good out front.

Dave

Just a wee update with some pro pics from this gig and thought i'd share some.

452485298_825634396323184_2419308767565793535_n.jpg

452567493_825632489656708_5425953191428322782_n.jpg

452746652_825633882989902_2147470337942909745_n.jpg

453213358_825634196323204_8550800376122026384_n.jpg

453515422_825632839656673_3074636008563266416_n.jpg

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 14

A bit late to the party here, because the gig was on Tuesday, but hey....

We played a tiny little pub in Shrewsbury called The Yorkshire House.  The other band brought the PA; well, sone powered speakers and a desk, but no monitoring.  They also brought instruments and drum breakables but nowt else, so we lent them our amps (the smallest ones we own, to save space), mics, mic stands etc and were good to go.

It was very hot and sweaty, the sound was crap and we had to do the best we could to hear what was going on, but other than that it was great!  We went down really well, received lots of compliments from the surprisingly large crowd, and have the landlady wants us back later in the year.  What topped it off for me was some friends coming down from Manchester to see us play and really enjoying themselves.

Obligatory glory shot:

53855222516_2871fde1f9_h.jpg

My gear was my usual three basses (2x Player P and nasty Squier plywood J-type), pedals and the big Eden was substituted for my Ampeg PF500.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 15

13 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

TODAY!

Depped on Sousaphone for the AD concert band at a garden party for one of the band member's 80th birthday.

It was in deepest, darkest, poshest Knowle, where the drives are bigger than the flat I've just agreed to rent.

Nice marquee in the grounds (!) of his farmhouse (!), a fair few family and friends were there (his, not mine) and we played well (the band is a pretty high standard which not all 'community' wind bands are).

The birthday boy is a big sports fan, so we played the old Ski Sunday theme and the old cricket theme (Soul Limbo) while some folk played cricket on the field in front of us, which was jolly good fun.

Other highlights were a Mary Poppins medley which rattles along at quite a lick (*and* I got the important tubular bell solo cue bang on, which was nice) and a Sousa Medley which is obviously fun to play on a Sousaphone.

Other pieces were the usual wind band rep, Seventeen Come Sunday (every wind band must play this by law), A Sodding Andrew Sodding Lloyd Sodding Webber medley (Jesus Christ Superstar is acceptable) and a piece imaginatively titled Waltz no 2 (Tchaikovsky? Stravinsky? Someone like that) which is a really, really beautiful piece of music (Actually, it's Shostakovich now that I think about it).

A record five people asked what the instrument I was playing was (It's a Sousaphone, basically a marching Tuba, named after but not invented by John Phillip Sousa, the American composer and band leader of the late 1800s (I should have this printed on a business card, it would save so much time) and yes it is very heavy) and one woman knew what it was so she got fifty points.

Two sets, a sandwich, a glass of very passable red, a brownie and a meringue thing at half time, lots of thanks for standing in, a few viola jokes shared with Colin the Eupphonium player (his best mate's wife plays Susan in The Archers) and home in time for a stiff G&T.

Oh, and it's my 50th birthday today *and* I've agreed to rent a tiny flat in lovely Bewdley.

Cheers!

Yep Shostakovich - it's from the Jazz Suite. I've played it on tenor sax in wind band. I've played the orchestral version (on cello) of the Vaughan Williams (Seventeen Come Sunday etc) - not sure if I've played the wind band version.

• Like 3

Played at The Victoria in Swindon last night with Phantom Droid and Thrakian (we're Hora). It's a cool venue. Decent size live room, good sound, very competent sound tech, good lighting, smoke machine 🤘 

Despite growing up in rural Wiltshire where Swindon was the closest big town, I'd never actually got my act together as a teenager to play there. So, it was nice from that aspect too.

Really good fun. I did have a few flubs though. I blame that on almost having a migraine on Friday. I'm still not 100% and my wife didn't really want me to go out. I felt like sound check actually helped my head in a weird way though. Very strange.

Gear: Combustion, GX-100, Mojo Mojo, Bass Big Muff, ABM-600 into the Hartke cab that was there. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

Gear: Combustion, GX-100, Mojo Mojo, Bass Big Muff, ABM-600 into the Hartke cab that was there. 

Nice, was my go-to OD for many years until I got my Monomyth.  Also well done for powering through - the show must go on!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Old Masons Arms just south of Leeds last night.  Second Glam Fever gig with the new dep drummer and things had tightened up considerably thankfully - he did a great job and we had a blast.  We've got him until the end of September when we take a month long break to allow for any hospital treatment I might need, then a new drummer starting in November who knows the crack.

It was a hot and sweaty one - just the sort of gigs we enjoy with lots of dancing and whatnot; it was nice to see a fair few faces from bikers rallies who'd travelled far and wide to catch us in one of our rare visits to this locale.  The 'tip bucket' was nicely full at the end of the night!

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, martthebass said:

.  The 'tip bucket' was nicely full at the end of the night!

If you don’t mind me asking, is the tip bucket a regular thing or needed to top up your fee? I’ve often wondered, but have aeen them most in the States where bands often play for nothing. 

18 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Old Masons Arms just south of Leeds last night.  Second Glam Fever gig with the new dep drummer and things had tightened up considerably thankfully - he did a great job and we had a blast.  We've got him until the end of September when we take a month long break to allow for any hospital treatment I might need, then a new drummer starting in November who knows the crack.

It was a hot and sweaty one - just the sort of gigs we enjoy with lots of dancing and whatnot; it was nice to see a fair few faces from bikers rallies who'd travelled far and wide to catch us in one of our rare visits to this locale.  The 'tip bucket' was nicely full at the end of the night!

all the best with the hospital treatment Mart.

Dave

• Thanks 1

80% of The Inevitable Teaspoons played at Drummonds in Aberdeen last night.  Our sax player guffed up his dates and realised he had a wedding to attend (not his own, I must stress!).  So to be honest I wasn't feeling it going into the gig.  Isn't it funny how sometimes the gigs you're not looking forward to end up being great fun - maybe because there's nothing to lose and it takes pressure off oneself.

So when we arrived for soundcheck, we learned that the support act had cancelled, so the whole night was ours to play with.  We ended up playing for 2 hours (with a 15 min break) which is rather unusual for a no-name originals band such as ourselves, but we had enough material to cover it, and threw in some covers to break up the relentless cycle of "tunes nobody knows".  It wasn't super busy, but we had folk up dancing nonetheless, so I guess we were doing something right!

I expected it to be a bust, but it ended up being a really fun night!

I played the G&L Tribute LB-100 into the house amp which was some sort of Ashdown ABM head into some sort of Trace cab.  Sounded good, but it was just for monitoring, FOH was handled by the venue's sound engineer (who did an amazing job - I had a wander out front cos wireless and it was sounding great).

drummonds20240713gear.thumb.jpg.042d090711c392acc1bd7f86997d18b3.jpg

• Like 15

My originals band, Diamond Bridges, played a set at yesterday’s Nailed It festival in Belper. It’s a great little one-day event with music in eight pubs across the town. All within 15 minutes walk of each other. The ethos of the festival is very much original music only. Consequently, there’s a lot of solo performers and duos but all of the larger pubs had at least a couple of bands. We had the 9pm slot at The Cross Keys. Slightly shonky shared drum kit and back line but a good Bose PA and a sound man who was on the ball. Hectic turnaround and no soundcheck, but such is the life of a small-time originals act out in the provinces. Very busy pub and appreciative audience. We even managed to come home with fewer cds than we took!

7A2981A6-2A39-4627-8459-E1387413219E.jpeg

• Like 15

16 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Acoustic night, drummer played a Cajon. It was still a tight squeeze on stage, our line up is vox, bass, guitar, drummer, and 3 backing vox.

It went really well, people were surprised when told it was the first gig for the band. 

Gear for me, Rob Allen Mouse, Swiff Audio wireless, into the house bands mini Markbass combo which fed into the PA.

A weird thing that happened, the guitarist was playing a semi acoustic through a pedal board. When he kicked on his fuzz pedal, it distorted the bass too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Hurtsfall played on the second day of the Leodis Requiem Festival at Wharf Chambers in Leeds. It was an all-dayer with 8 bands, we were in the second half starting at at 7.30 and the first band to have a 45 minute time slot. This was the fourth time I'd played at this venue and it's a bit of a strange one. Unless the bands are actually playing there is hardly anyone is in the room, they are all either in the main bar next door or in the garden at the back, so it's always slightly worrying when we're setting up with just the PA engineer and the festival promotors in attendance. However it does mean that it's possible to do a proper sound check without giving anything away. Luckily for us just as we're due to start the room fills up with punters. I don't know if it's that I had a different perspective from the stage compared with being an audience member, but it did feel as though we had the the biggest, most attentive and vocal audience of the 5 bands I saw. Simply announcing some of songs (one of which is so new that the only way people would know it is if they have seen us play in the last 3 months) brought cheers from the crowd. Didn't sell much merch but AFAICS none of the other bands were doing at any better. I did manage to get a festival T-shirt in small for me, as pervious years they've always sold out the day before my band played.

449832993-10230655023494605-782452491274

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Hurtsfall played on the second day of the Leodis Requiem Festival at Wharf Chambers in Leeds. It was an all-dayer with 8 bands, we were in the second half starting at at 7.30 and the first band to have a 45 minute time slot. This was the fourth time I'd played at this venue and it's a bit of a strange one. Unless the bands are actually playing there is hardly anyone is in the room, they are all either in the main bar next door or in the garden at the back, so it's always slightly worrying when we're setting up with just the PA engineer and the festival promotors in attendance. However it does mean that it's possible to do a proper sound check without giving anything away. Luckily for us just as we're due to start the room fills up with punters. I don't know if it's that I had a different perspective from the stage compared with being an audience member, but it did feel as though we had the the biggest, most attentive and vocal audience of the 5 bands I saw. Simply announcing some of songs (one of which is so new that the only way people would know it is if they have seen us play in the last 3 months) brought cheers from the crowd. Didn't sell much merch but AFAICS none of the other bands were doing at any better. I did manage to get a festival T-shirt in small for me, as pervious years they've always sold out the day before my band played.

449832993-10230655023494605-782452491274

Do you guys have a pro photographer following you as you always seem to get great pics from your shows.

Another great pic.

Dave

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Nice, was my go-to OD for many years until I got my Monomyth.  Also well done for powering through - the show must go on!

It's a great pedal. It isn't quite enough on its own for this band, but I've got it feeding the BBM as the "dry signal" so I can blend them, and then they're in the effects loop of the GX-100, which I can turn on/off at the click of a switch. 

Edited by MichaelDean
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Do you guys have a pro photographer following you as you always seem to get great pics from your shows.

Another great pic.

Dave

Thanks!

Although many of the gigs we are doing at the moment have pro photographers usually employed by the festival or promotor. a lot of the photos I post are, like this one, simply those taken by fans with their phones. I think it helps that at the moment we are mostly playing venues with proper stages and lighting rigs, and as a band we make an effort to look interesting when we perform. It also definitely helps that our singer is a complete show-off.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

If you don’t mind me asking, is the tip bucket a regular thing or needed to top up your fee? I’ve often wondered, but have aeen them most in the States where bands often play for nothing. 

It’s a regular thing at this pub done entirely by the good spirited Landy.

It’s the only venue we play that does this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

A weird thing that happened, the guitarist was playing a semi acoustic through a pedal board. When he kicked on his fuzz pedal, it distorted the bass too.

I hate to tell you, but that means you're not plugged in and the guitarist is using an octaver...

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 13/07/2024 at 19:33, MacDaddy said:

Screenshot_2024-07-14-20-53-06-546_com_miui.videoplayer.thumb.jpg.3cbe0450b6fd45cf1c9313b0f5244583.jpg

• Like 4

Wedding gig last night for the daughter of one of the guitarists. As such, the band and partners were graciously invited to the whole day, which meant a rather early start in order to get in before all the guests arrived to set up followed by a very long day. 

Out other guitarist, who usually sets up half the mildly complex PA was also unavailable for this one as his wife gave birth to a baby girl the day before. We’d planned for this with my brother stepping in for him. He’s depped with us several times before so I knew he’d be okay, but this was his first experience of gigging ampless, relying totally on IEMs. I’m not sure he totally loved the experience and now wishes he had bought new foam tips for his old IEMs that he hadn’t used in years, as the silicon tips didn’t seal that well. I was also anxious before hand and got a little stressed during set up as I knew I had to wire up most of the PA more or less on my own. I think going forward, we need to give everyone individual tasks to do to make this process easier and quicker. 

The set was handpicked by the bride and groom (not something we usually let happen), but we agreed it just this once. They love alternative music so we got to play some heavier numbers with a few classic bangers. Luckily for my brother, it was a shorter single set of around 80mins rather than our usual couple of one hours sets as they had also booked a “superstar dj” who rounded of the evening with some old classic and modern metal. 

Totally broken by the end of the night and had a well deserved lay in this morning. 

• Like 12

Saturday, Played 9-10 at the Hanbury Arms with Bluesfire. One of two pub venues in an 11 day arts festival. We had over 100 people which is good for what is basically a beer gardens and marquee. Plenty more people out of sight down the slope between us and the pub. Very responsive music-loving audience. One woman told Al that when she was down the slope she thought there were give or six of us, not three. A lapsed guitarist budy telling everyone the gig was 'exceptional' which was nice. Al ignored the setlist and just called what he thought people would like. Best one for a while. Got back to the club in time to catch the bands last four songs.

Today, Bendricks Rock at the Llandovery Bike Weekend for Blood Bikes Wales. The event is 10-4 and wew were on at 11:30.  Left at 8:00 to pick up vocalist! Better attendance than I expected, nice but simple setup with vocal PA and plenty of space. And a proper if brief soundcheck- the only feedback was for me to turn up. Don't mind if I do.

Purple, Zeppelin, Cream and Sabbath all went down well, our setlist was not long enough so we added two extras and then an encore - What Is and What Should Never Be. Tricky and with the potential to be a car crash, but we nailed it. Our endings were a big sloppy, but our best playing so far and a great reception. Watched a couple of the other acts. Drive back was extended by 30 minutes due to a "diversion" and a crash blocking the a470.

Got back and somehow found the energy to catch a train to the far side of town and catch my brother's band Stonehouse closing out Cadstock to a couple of thousand people.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Saturday saw our (Rascallion's) third appearance at our local charity outdoor festival, Anderby Rocks. Shan't bore you with the details of why the first two bands who were due to appear had to be replaced by a solo acoustic singer and an acoustic duo, but the upshot was that after the acoustic duo who were scheduled to appear before us had finished, we ended up being the first full band on, which actually worked in our favour in terms of setting up, though it still didn't mean we got anything more than a basic line check - luckily the regular sound crew working the festival know their stuff, and after one minor burst of feedback early on, quickly gave us a superb onstage sound and, as confirmed by my Better Half who's fussy about volume in particular, the sound out front was equally good, balanced, and just-loud-enough. 

Just to add to the fun, we'd not managed a full rehearsal this week after our frontman went down with the lurgy on Monday. It had been touch-and-go until Friday morning whether he'd be fit enough to handle the vocals and harmonica, but luckily he'd recovered enough to do so, and apart from a couple of minor on-the-hoof rearrangements which we managed to catch and cover hopefully without anyone noticing, everything went well.  

Not much in the way of dancing to report, though a few folks did stand up from their camping chairs and jig around a bit towards the end of the set, which to be fair is all we ever tend to get anyway. At least the weather, which had started off alternating between drizzle and light rain, finally got its act together and it stayed dry throughout our set, not so much of a concern to us due to the solid tentage covering the stage, but great for the hardy souls in the audience, bless 'em.

In the rush to set up, play, then get off, I didn't manage to grab any rig photos, but I used my trusty MIJ '51 Precision Reissue --> Thumpinator --> NUX tuner --> Ampeg OptoComp --> Ampeg Scrambler --> Ampeg Liquifier --> Ashdown 12-band EQ (pre-shape only engaged) --> Trace Elliot AH200 + BLX-110 cab --> DI'd into PA.

Couple of photos from the event FB page... 

anderby rocks 2024 edit.jpg

anderby rocks 2024b.jpg

• Like 10

On 13/07/2024 at 03:45, dmccombe7 said:

I see what you mean about the lighting Daryl.

Otherwise a good event tho by sound of it and decent money too so all good.

Sure the band played well and from an audience point of view that's what counts.

Dave 

Agreed Dave,

Depends on the gig but I finally figured out the audience are not musicians.  All they really want is beat they can dance to.

It was pretty cool I thought. A decent amount of alcohol induced dancing. It was far from perfect but we had a few good moments. 

Daryl

• Like 1