Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Nice review from the Dreadnought's resident band critic Alex Hastings. Unfortunately no pics or vids have surfaced yet.

Dave

"A packed Dreadnought Rock was the place to be on Saturday for lovers of music with an 'early 70's' vibe... Namely Glam Rock.!! Blockbustarz were back in the place that rocks to follow up their fabulous Christmas party gig of last year.... Mike, Colin, David, Lynn and Barry 'Bazza' Haywood were glammed up to the max, in their sparkly, shiny and very colourful costumes, not forgetting platform shoes akin to small step ladders.. ... For nigh on 3 hours, they blasted out hit after hit, leading to a few 'missed buses home'... That's rock n roll.. ..... It just happened to be Brian Chizzmeister Chisholm's 58th Birthday and Bruce Henderson's big 6-oh..! And they both had the happiest of Birthdays.. .... Bazza on drums was wearing a glittery pork pie hat, and silver shoulder pads an NFL quarter back would be proud of... It didn't stop him from rattling the skins though... Lynn didn't need to cheat in the 'long haired wig department' as she blasted out shared vocals with Micky Blitz. . The anti hooligan safety fence was in operation tonight following Lynns unfortunate black eye incident of last year... . Just as well going by the frantic, frolicking, footwork of the group of Glamtastic lasses in front of me... ......... . We had Sweet, Mud, Alvin Stardust, The Rollers ,Bryan Ferry and many more. The crowd were into it big time. "Ballroom Blitz" they roared as I looked behind me for any 'Attack from the back..'.... ... "That's neat, that's neat" they yelled as all and sundry tried the 'Mud' dance.....The fence was being tested as they swayed along to the Rollers and rocked along to Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting from Elton... "Schools Out" sang Micky Blitz as the crowd chanted with him. Chizzy was in the zone now and I wasn't far behind him... .... T-Rex, Sailor, Showaddywaddy, Bowie, the tunes kept coming, and the fence huggers were still 'Giving it laldy' as George Thom would've said.."'Under the moon of Love! " sang the faithful... Another favourite from Mud, The Cat Crept in, Crept Out Again ( lyrics of genius!) led to more step over your feet dancing. Brilliant.... Sometime during the mayhem my name was heard being shouted by Lynn followed by the words" Tell Him! "... Cue some lunacy from yours truly ably assisted by the Birthday boy himself, Chizzy, as we bounced around to" Tell Him' from Hello... What a song, a song I've been jumping around to since 1984 in the Twig (Eh Billy Haggarty ?)....... The chaos kept being chaotic as the band gave us Hell Raiser, Elected, Waterloo, the Jean Genie, Virginia Plain, Can the Can and yet more...... Magnificent effort.. (I'm feeling burnt out just reading this )... I'm sure the Time Warp was in there somewhere.. It was now getting a bit hazy as the Belhaven Best was starting to kick in... .... The punters were having a ball, as expected and Micky Blitz and the band cranked it up some more for the final push. A rousing Loch Lomond came up as a mid song medley to the delight of the crowd. Teenage Rampage, Devil Gate Drive, and the song the band take their name from, Blockbuster were all played for the punters, who by now must have been on their last legs.. None more so than a 'doon the fronter' who'd just came home from Benidorm in the afternoon.. Respect.. ... As the time approached 11.30pm or thereabouts, the band took their well deserved leave from the stage. What a gig, what a night and what a crowd. Another top night in the Dreadnought had been had. Once again top marks to all concerned.... Big Hastie over and out from the Goth , Armadale... (I just made it home in time for one last beer)..... Elton got his song wrong, Saturday Night's All Right For Drinking...... If you see him, "Tell Him".....

• Like 18

On 27/07/2024 at 08:51, Jackroadkill said:

Shucks, no progressive vegetarian grindcore for you!

On 28/07/2024 at 01:26, EssexBuccaneer said:

Well, the pub that didn’t want us to play anything too heavy…..

We ended up playing Rage against the machine, Limp Bizkit and others, because the punters loved it.

Well, looks like I was wrong, eh?  Still sometimes it's great to be wrong, so I'm glad you got the chance to let it rip a bit.

23 hours ago, grapefruitmoon said:

Wild Hogs played The Cave in Paisley last night, not a bad wee gig, great venue. Bit of a trek as most of us are based over the east and there's horrible roadworks. Our sound was a bit off, not much time to get set up after the previous band (who were excellent) and guitarists being too loud as usual. Bit rusty in the first set, managed to absolutely mangle Poison somehow. The had a comedy of errors - my bass strap snapping halfway thru a song, drummer losing a drumstick mid-song, drunk dancing guy accidentally kicking over the singers water and almost frying the mixer and a pedalboard. All that aside, crowd got right into it, so all good. Until...not for the first time recently, I made a slight wee error. Had parked the car in a nearby multi-storey...not realising it shut at 9pm! Ooops. Logistics meant a couple of us were stuck, so ended up shelling out for a hotel and racing to get there before check-in closed. I'm such an idiot, I'll never hear the end of this one. Venue staff let me leave the PA and my gear there overnight, so picked it all up today and got home eventually, about 14 hours later than expected. 

You can park in the little lane just up from it where The Bungalow is. We play The Cave regularly and we all park our cars there. Jen the Manageress told us all the bands park there. If after 6pm you can park in various areas around the patch.

Bit of a bummer loading in tho. Always bring a trolley or ask the bar staff for a loan of theirs. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2

A two-gigger last weekend, first on Friday at the monthly residency-type pub in Swinton, it's a late one, we don't start till ten, I was ordering a drink at the bar at nine when there was an unholy kerfuffle across the bar in the pool room, a full-on catfight (or rather an assault). Cue everyone in the pub restraining a younger woman who'd gone for a lady older than her. Ten minutes later as we're still setting up the 5-0 are in the pub, the victim had (it turned out) a fractured skull, cheekbone and broken jaw. Lovely. We went on a little late, played to an indifferent crowd (another of those 'Why do they put bands on?' pubs), and as I was leaving about midnight there was another police car outside and a couple of officers hanging about. I went home...

Satdy was a teatime gig at a friend of the BL's (a bassist himself) house, in his big garden. Supposed to go on at 5:30, I shortened the day at home to be there, but there was another lot on before us (the birthday chap and his friend) needless to say we went on at about seven. Bah. Dep drummer, supplied electronic kit, different PA, it was a bit of a mishmash, but it sounded OK in my inears straight from the desk. The BL stayed and there was a jam session that went on for hours, but I was home for half nine.

Modded Squier Sonic P (still pretty much perfect for the gigs I'm doing right now), Stomp, inears...some nights it pays to travel light...

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Yeah, it's a Tuesday...but it's not too early to look forward to the weekend and a Maple Road double-header! 

Sat. 8/3: Maple Road LIVE @ Wisconsin State Fair; Major Goolsby's Stage!  3:45pm-6:45pm. Fried stuff on a stick, a giant slide, unmatched people watching, and a whole lot of live rockin' blues! 

Sun. 8/4: Maple Road LIVE @ Kettle Moraine Supper Club!
2pm-5pm. Happy to be making our debut performance here! Come on out for some Sunday Funday action and we'll show 'em how we do things!

FB_IMG_1722366418343.jpg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

Yeah, it's a Tuesday...but it's not too early to look forward to the weekend and a Maple Road double-header! 

Sat. 8/3: Maple Road LIVE @ Wisconsin State Fair; Major Goolsby's Stage!  3:45pm-6:45pm. Fried stuff on a stick, a giant slide, unmatched people watching, and a whole lot of live rockin' blues! 

Sun. 8/4: Maple Road LIVE @ Kettle Moraine Supper Club!
2pm-5pm. Happy to be making our debut performance here! Come on out for some Sunday Funday action and we'll show 'em how we do things!

FB_IMG_1722366418343.jpg

That sounds great. Fancy doing Bridlington...?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 29/07/2024 at 07:00, dmccombe7 said:

Nice review from the Dreadnought's resident band critic Alex Hastings. Unfortunately no pics or vids have surfaced yet.

Fantastic review Dave,

Please post any vids or pics when they surface.

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know of any pubs doing gigs in Bridlington or Scarborough area weds 31st July or Thursday 1st August? T'other half said she'd like to go to a pub gig so I've looked but there is not a lot happening as far as I can see.

Any pointers welcomed. If anybody here is playing, let me know. 

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Dave,

You could book a complete tour for us. Only premium venues please. Lol

Daryl

I could cover the cost of all your accommodation and travel arrangements cause i'm a nice guy. :hi:

Dave :laugh1:

• Haha 1

Playing in part of a power trio, we had a show up in Newcastle. Making the trek from mine is 5hrs but as my Mum's family were all from up that way, it's one of my favourite parts of the UK. I stopped off in York the day before for a day of sightseeing, which was fun. I met the drummer in Hartlepool and he showed me the old parts of Hartlepool (I love history and travel). We had an emergency rehearsal where we snapped the pic below for the last ditch social media plug and went on to Trillians. I was using my 2014 Gibson Thunderbird with my Blackstar U700 head into the oldest looking Fender Bassman cab I have seen. I had to borrow a speakon to jack cable from the sound guy who was very insistent that I return it. I explained that I was not drinking and experienced so returning it would not be an option. He replied to say I looked young but (for the win) it turns out that I was actually a year older than him! Apparently, it must be something in the water down here! 

The show was fun. I felt I played well to a small but enthusiastic crowd. The band was on form and the sound / lights were amazing. My last show until a little flurry in September. Sadly, nobody seems to have taken any pics of the show but who doesn't love a three guys stood up against an old van cliché band shot, right?! I'm on the right.

IMG_1013.JPG.2e3d88579ca14c8ec27532c29953ea96.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Bluegrass festival gig last night. A little bit under rehearsed but no train wrecks, it was made worse by monitors that weren't loud enough. The sound guys at this venue are usually very good so we are expecting a better set tonight as part of a roster of four bands. I used my trusty '70's Czech DB and ran a DI from my amp to the PA.

We are in the midst of a heat wave here and it was over 30C in the evening and very humid with no wind on the stage, forecast is for the same thing tonight. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 29/07/2024 at 20:42, dmccombe7 said:

You can park in the little lane just up from it where The Bungalow is. We play The Cave regularly and we all park our cars there. Jen the Manageress told us all the bands park there. If after 6pm you can park in various areas around the patch.

Bit of a bummer loading in tho. Always bring a trolley or ask the bar staff for a loan of theirs. :laugh1:

Dave

Thanks Dave, appreciate the info for future gigs. The load in was a pain, we knew they had a trolley, but the previous band were using it to load out!

Anyway, was the bands last gig as BL nuked it last night after a couple of us raised issues about volume, lack of teamwork etc. Now working on the splinter project.

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, grapefruitmoon said:

Thanks Dave, appreciate the info for future gigs. The load in was a pain, we knew they had a trolley, but the previous band were using it to load out!

Anyway, was the bands last gig as BL nuked it last night after a couple of us raised issues about volume, lack of teamwork etc. Now working on the splinter project.

Sorry to hear that. Bit poor for a band to split because someone raises an issue for discussion. That kind of thing really annoys me.

Looks like our punk covers band will be folding soon too as just not enough interest or gigs for that matter but on the plus side the Glam band is fairly busy with bookings already in for Xmas 2025.

I might see if i can get another side project from the Glam band just to keep me busy maybe 1-2 gigs / mth kind of thing.

Problem i have is that the Glam band are fully booked thru Dec both Fri and Sat with occasional Sun gigs and another band might feel a bit bad about getting no gigs in Dec 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sorry to hear that. Bit poor for a band to split because someone raises an issue for discussion. That kind of thing really annoys me.

Looks like our punk covers band will be folding soon to as just not enough interest or gigs for that matter but on the plus side the Glam band is fairly busy with bookings already in for Xmas 2025.

I might see if i can get another side project from the Glam band just to keep me busy maybe 1-2 gigs / mth kind of thing.

Problem i have is that the Glam band are fully booked thru Dec both Fri and Sat with occasional Sun gigs and another band might feel a bit bad about getting no gigs in Dec 

Dave

That's a shame Dave.  I've occasionally thought about a post punk side project from our Glam band but as you say December is normally full of Glam revellers and I didn't think it fair to a side project.

• Like 1

Just now, martthebass said:

That's a shame Dave.  I've occasionally thought about a post punk side project from our Glam band but as you say December is normally full of Glam revellers and I didn't think it fair to a side project.

Punk isn't really my thing TBH but i have to admit i enjoyed playing the songs and the band members are all first class people altho guitarist is on holiday at moment and we didn't want to spoil his holiday. Singer said he was thinking of retiring from the band soon anyway as he appreciates the other 3 of us are busy with the Glam band. He has a Ramones tribute band on the go now too.

If i do look for a side project i think it might be back to classic rock or if possible Prog covers band which i've never quite managed to find others into same things. 

Dave

• Like 2

Post punk (rather than 'classic punk') is a big love of mine; I was in a PP band before going Glam 8 years back.  It seems to be a bit more popular around here than it was then....we were always struggling for gigs.  The 'Glam' market seems to be becoming more crowded with bands in these parts now; when we started out there were very few in these parts with only one other Glam band routinely playing in Yorkshire.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, martthebass said:

To me it's the 1978-80 period; Jags, Vapours, Department S, Elvis Costello etc...

To me those are more "power pop". I'd class post-punk as Magazine, Joy Division, Comsat Angels etc.

Essex International Scout and Guide Jamboree.

Holy moly that was good fun! Most fun I've had with my trousers on for some time. We were looked after incredibly well by the team and treated like VIPs (we even had a young man who took upon himself hold up a couple of umbrellas to shade us from the sun whilst we were eating... bless him). The tech team were equally as helpful and accommodating. Indeed, the monitor engineer said he was so happy when he saw our tech rider, that me and the two guitarists use Helix devices and no backline. It made his day when I said we're all happy to have the same monitor mix as well.

The kids were up for a good night from the off. Singing, jumping and dancing as soon as the drums kicked off "Chelsea Dagger". And they kept going for the following 75mins until we finished.

There were several video and stills cameras recording and broadcasting to the big screen on either side of the stage (including one at the front of the stage on a sliding gantry that one of our singers relished by gurning into it several times). And they even found time to put an Instagram reel together by the morning. Incredible stuff. Hopefully we'll get a copy of the full recording in good time to use for promo.

A proper festival vibe. Felt like rockstars for the evening.  Hopefully get to do it again next year.

PS There's nothing quite like kicking in an octave effect when you've got all those subwoofers as your disposal. *explosive*.

Instagram Reel:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-Hm6xPI7HN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

453849621_1406333630313887_4113518466310966189_n.thumb.jpg.2672fc42eb25ac4e4223b3182d705538.jpg

453255325_1406469930300257_3967900691011485660_n.thumb.jpg.3eee942ab33fed48a069cd0da8cb5c56.jpgEIJessexjamboreebandphoto.thumb.jpg.b2627db4f90fc91691af4421b4e091d1.jpg

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 18

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

To me those are more "power pop". I'd class post-punk as Magazine, Joy Division, Comsat Angels etc.

Thanks for the correction...my life is now complete.

Having now 'done my research'...it appears that about 80% of the bands we covered in our post punk/'power pop' trio were in the post punk category as defined by Wikipedia.

2 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Essex International Scout and Guide Jamboree.

Holy moly that was good fun! Most fun I've had with my trousers on for some time. We were looked after incredibly well by the team and treated like VIPs (we even had a young man who took upon himself hold up a couple of umbrellas to shade us from the sun whilst we were eating... bless him). The tech team were equally as helpful and accommodating. Indeed, the monitor engineer said he was so happy when he saw our tech rider, that me and the two guitarists use Helix devices and no backline. It made his day when I said we're all happy to have the same monitor mix as well.

The kids were up for a good night from the off. Singing, jumping and dancing as soon as the drums kicked off "Chelsea Dagger". And they kept going for the following 75mins until we finished.

There were several video and stills cameras recording and broadcasting to the big screen on either side of the stage (including one at the front of the stage on a sliding gantry that one of our singers relished by gurning into it several times). And they even found time to put an Instagram reel together by the morning. Incredible stuff. Hopefully we'll get a copy of the full recording in good time to use for promo.

A proper festival vibe. Felt like rockstars for the evening.  Hopefully get to do it again next year.

PS There's nothing quite like kicking in an octave effect when you've got all those subwoofers as your disposal. *explosive*.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-Hm6xPI7HN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

453849621_1406333630313887_4113518466310966189_n.thumb.jpg.2672fc42eb25ac4e4223b3182d705538.jpg

453255325_1406469930300257_3967900691011485660_n.thumb.jpg.3eee942ab33fed48a069cd0da8cb5c56.jpgEIJessexjamboreebandphoto.thumb.jpg.b2627db4f90fc91691af4421b4e091d1.jpg

Ha! My lad was there! He sent me a vid of you guys! I was gonna suggest to the band we have a look at getting on the bill next year 😊

• Like 2