Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

To me it's the 1978-80 period; Jags, Vapours, Department S, Elvis Costello etc...

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

To me those are more "power pop". I'd class post-punk as Magazine, Joy Division, Comsat Angels etc.

Both correct.

I decided to have a look on line to see which bands were Post Punk. Surprised me to see The Clash, The Police, The Jam all listed there as they were about in 76/77 when punk took off. To be fair i'm no expert and was never really into punk altho i did enjoy some of the hits and the energy some of them had.

Its an odd collection as Simple Minds were in there too. I always regarded them as part of the New Wave type bands.

I'm guessing anything after Punk can be regarded as "Post Punk" era which is kinda wide open to interpretation. 

Dave

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Both correct.

I decided to have a look on line to see which bands were Post Punk. Surprised me to see The Clash, The Police, The Jam all listed there as they were about in 76/77 when punk took off. To be fair i'm no expert and was never really into punk altho i did enjoy some of the hits and the energy some of them had.

Its an odd collection as Simple Minds were in there too. I always regarded them as part of the New Wave type bands.

I'm guessing anything after Punk can be regarded as "Post Punk" era which is kinda wide open to interpretation. 

Dave

You’re not wrong Dave, I was never into splitting hairs.

If I recall correctly some post punk bands were originally punk bands, the early Joy D stuff like Warsaw was definitely punk and I think Simple Minds were a punk band called  ‘Jonny and the self abusers’?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

You’re not wrong Dave, I was never into splitting hairs.

If I recall correctly some post punk bands were originally punk bands, the early Joy D stuff like Warsaw was definitely punk and I think Simple Minds were a punk band called  ‘Jonny and the self abusers’?

I did actually see Jonny and the Self Abusers in our local Sat afternoon venue in Wishaw back in late 70's. They were ok but not my kind of music but i vaguely remember the drummer as having very basic kit possibly a snare and bass drum or similar. Was a long time ago and an afternoon of beer does tend to make your memories a bit vague.

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Essex International Scout and Guide Jamboree.

Holy moly that was good fun! Most fun I've had with my trousers on for some time. We were looked after incredibly well by the team and treated like VIPs (we even had a young man who took upon himself hold up a couple of umbrellas to shade us from the sun whilst we were eating... bless him). The tech team were equally as helpful and accommodating. Indeed, the monitor engineer said he was so happy when he saw our tech rider, that me and the two guitarists use Helix devices and no backline. It made his day when I said we're all happy to have the same monitor mix as well.

The kids were up for a good night from the off. Singing, jumping and dancing as soon as the drums kicked off "Chelsea Dagger". And they kept going for the following 75mins until we finished.

There were several video and stills cameras recording and broadcasting to the big screen on either side of the stage (including one at the front of the stage on a sliding gantry that one of our singers relished by gurning into it several times). And they even found time to put an Instagram reel together by the morning. Incredible stuff. Hopefully we'll get a copy of the full recording in good time to use for promo.

A proper festival vibe. Felt like rockstars for the evening.  Hopefully get to do it again next year.

PS There's nothing quite like kicking in an octave effect when you've got all those subwoofers as your disposal. *explosive*.

Instagram Reel:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-Hm6xPI7HN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

453849621_1406333630313887_4113518466310966189_n.thumb.jpg.2672fc42eb25ac4e4223b3182d705538.jpg

453255325_1406469930300257_3967900691011485660_n.thumb.jpg.3eee942ab33fed48a069cd0da8cb5c56.jpgEIJessexjamboreebandphoto.thumb.jpg.b2627db4f90fc91691af4421b4e091d1.jpg

Great work, sounds ace.

20 hours ago, martthebass said:

To me it's the 1978-80 period; Jags, Vapours, Department S, Elvis Costello etc...

Coincidentally, I was noodling around yesterday lunchtime, and scrolling through the iPad to see what I could play along to, when I spotted Back Of My Hand...great song...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Staggering on said:

Bluegrass festival gig last night. A little bit under rehearsed but no train wrecks, it was made worse by monitors that weren't loud enough. The sound guys at this venue are usually very good so we are expecting a better set tonight as part of a roster of four bands. I used my trusty '70's Czech DB and ran a DI from my amp to the PA.

We are in the midst of a heat wave here and it was over 30C in the evening and very humid with no wind on the stage, forecast is for the same thing tonight. 

Much better last night but even hotter than the first night. This time we tried using one mic (not sure of make and model) as suggested by the sound crew for all vocals and instruments except my bass ( bass to amp to PA) and no monitors, just what we could hear on stage and it was great! The bass was loud and clear on stage and we just moved in and out for vocals and instrumental breaks. We had seen other bluegrass bands using this system but this was our first try with it and we love it, we hope we can use a similar system next week at another festival. It's an old school way of doing sound but with today's advanced mics it is better than ever. I'm mainly a jazz guy but I have to admit playing and singing bluegrass is a lot of fun. 😊

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Staggering on said:

Much better last night but even hotter than the first night. This time we tried using one mic (not sure of make and model) as suggested by the sound crew for all vocals and instruments except my bass ( bass to amp to PA) and no monitors, just what we could hear on stage and it was great! The bass was loud and clear on stage and we just moved in and out for vocals and instrumental breaks. We had seen other bluegrass bands using this system but this was our first try with it and we love it, we hope we can use a similar system next week at another festival. It's an old school way of doing sound but with today's advanced mics it is better than ever. I'm mainly a jazz guy but I have to admit playing and singing bluegrass is a lot of fun. 😊

That's the system my Better Half's banjoist daughter's band (Blue Lass) use, seems to work well for them. 😀

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, tony_m said:

That's the system my Better Half's banjoist daughter's band (Blue Lass) use, seems to work well for them. 😀

Enjoyed that, not my usual kind of music but that was really good. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tony_m said:

Good band!

I have seen that mic used for bands like this but the one we used was a different model, ideal for groups  that often rehearse acoustically in a circle or semi circle.

As I have said before, bluegrass is great fun to play and sing and not as easy as it sounds. 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Enjoyed that, not my usual kind of music but that was really good. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Have to confess it's not ours either, but they're very good, and very passionate about what they do. They're playing at a festival in France (Bluegrass in La Roche) this weekend for the second year running, seems to be quite a thriving scene.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tony_m said:

Have to confess it's not ours either, but they're very good, and very passionate about what they do. They're playing at a festival in France (Bluegrass in La Roche) this weekend for the second year running, seems to be quite a thriving scene.

Well done.

I remember in mid 80's doing PA hire for a Canadian Cajun band at a local venue. Was a great night with so much energy and a great fun gig. 

Dave

• Like 1

Had a great night at Hereford Cathedral. When we were booked I was adamant we weren’t going to play inside as the epic acoustics are a nightmare with live bands, and fortunately the weather was on our side and we played in the grounds. The venue did a good job promoting it and we shifted over 200 tickets, quite a few mustard yellow cords and salmon pink trousers about so it was a bit like playing for the illuminati but they lapped it up. We put as many Cathedral related (albeit loosely in lots of cases) songs in the set, Locked Out of Heaven, Paradise, Living On A Prayer etc and started with a new mash up we’ve called (O Cum All Ye) Faithful which is Faith, Like A Prayer and Sympathy For The Devil. 😈 Worked well. Played ok with some brain fades or my clown feet standing on the new hx stomp and it doing things I’ve never seen before. 

Nice changing room as well….

IMG_4510.jpeg

IMG_4508.jpeg

Edited by scalpy
  • Like 13

Great night tonight at the Vulcan Restoration Trust beer and music festival. We headlined night 1, and had a solid set despite the sound on stage being a bit iffy (I could only hear myself and the drummist for most of the set).

The hangar was one of the more unique stages I’ve played on, with a pretty iconic piece of furniture out front!!!IMG_5085.thumb.jpeg.92dade36cbc71d6fa9fbdb7362681607.jpegIMG_4644.thumb.jpeg.c4138c8e01127ded2e07f68bad4f3124.jpegIMG_4639.thumb.jpeg.92186b84e847cfd67b550ec33e00c76f.jpeg

IMG_4642.jpeg

Edited by EssexBuccaneer
  • Like 24

I posted about this week’s gig earlier but didn’t have a picture at the time. Purely because I was so into my Blackstar head going through a beat up Fender Bassman 2x15, I was pleased to see this picture online. 

IMG_1033.jpeg.ac4f87d34e2ba17ef71f2c2f9ffb2ddc.jpeg

• Like 16

9 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Great night tonight at the Vulcan Restoration Trust beer and music festival. We headlined night 1, and had a solid set despite the sound on stage being a bit iffy (I could only hear myself and the drummist for most of the set).

The hangar was one of the more unique stages I’ve played on, with a pretty iconic piece of furniture out front!!!IMG_5085.thumb.jpeg.92dade36cbc71d6fa9fbdb7362681607.jpegIMG_4644.thumb.jpeg.c4138c8e01127ded2e07f68bad4f3124.jpegIMG_4639.thumb.jpeg.92186b84e847cfd67b550ec33e00c76f.jpeg

IMG_4642.jpeg

What a cracking event. Love it.

Dave

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

IMG_4642.jpeg

That's way cool

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

IMG_4642.jpeg

Looks an amazing place to play

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

The hangar was one of the more unique stages I’ve played on, with a pretty iconic piece of furniture out front!!!

Man, what a gig to play!  That's about my idea of heaven - decent rock music and Vulcans.

• Like 1