Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

12 hours ago, scalpy said:

Had a great night at Hereford Cathedral. When we were booked I was adamant we weren’t going to play inside as the epic acoustics are a nightmare with live bands, and fortunately the weather was on our side and we played in the grounds. The venue did a good job promoting it and we shifted over 200 tickets, quite a few mustard yellow cords and salmon pink trousers about so it was a bit like playing for the illuminati but they lapped it up. We put as many Cathedral related (albeit loosely in lots of cases) songs in the set, Locked Out of Heaven, Paradise, Living On A Prayer etc and started with a new mash up we’ve called (O Cum All Ye) Faithful which is Faith, Like A Prayer and Sympathy For The Devil. 😈 Worked well. Played ok with some brain fades or my clown feet standing on the new hx stomp and it doing things I’ve never seen before. 

Nice changing room as well….

IMG_4510.jpeg

IMG_4508.jpeg

Grest engagement with the crowd.

• Thanks 1

Last night was awesome!

Tiny but rammed music pub, the Bush in upper Cwmbran. Some of our Bluesfire fans came but mostly locals, also two guys I know from the band playing there next week.

We overfilled the space! We just really clicked, hardly missed a beat, really relaxed. Reaction was great, even got dancing in the tiny space. Lots of 'best band/gig' I've seen here, almost everyone came up to say how they enjoyed it. They were generouswith the 'magic hat' too. Al's guitar always gets praise but this time it was mostly people saying how good we were as a band. Felt like we levelled up last night.

You can see how much of a squeeze it was...

20240802_194124.jpg

20240802_204238.jpg

20240802_204257.jpg

20240802_194551.jpg

• Like 24

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Last night was awesome!

Tiny but rammed music pub, the Bush in upper Cwmbran. Some of our Bluesfire fans came but mostly locals, also two guys I know from the band playing there next week.

We overfilled the space! We just really clicked, hardly missed a beat, really relaxed. Reaction was great, even got dancing in the tiny space. Lots of 'best band/gig' I've seen here, almost everyone came up to say how they enjoyed it. They were generouswith the 'magic hat' too. Al's guitar always gets praise but this time it was mostly people saying how good we were as a band. Felt like we levelled up last night.

You can see how much of a squeeze it was...

20240802_194124.jpg

20240802_204238.jpg

20240802_204257.jpg

20240802_194551.jpg

I love those gigs where the punters are right on top of you, really special 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Great night tonight at the Vulcan Restoration Trust beer and music festival. We headlined night 1, and had a solid set despite the sound on stage being a bit iffy (I could only hear myself and the drummist for most of the set).

The hangar was one of the more unique stages I’ve played on, with a pretty iconic piece of furniture out front!!!IMG_5085.thumb.jpeg.92dade36cbc71d6fa9fbdb7362681607.jpegIMG_4644.thumb.jpeg.c4138c8e01127ded2e07f68bad4f3124.jpegIMG_4639.thumb.jpeg.92186b84e847cfd67b550ec33e00c76f.jpeg

IMG_4642.jpeg

OK so everyone's going on about the hangar and plane and I'm going "That's the coolest Bongo I've ever seen..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just played an hour and half acoustic set in the courtyard of the Star Inn, Harbottle, Northumberland. Great setting, and an attentive and appreciative crowd, many of whom will now be enjoying the acoustic night in the bar. The weather gods were good to us too and whilst the sun went into hiding shortly after we started, the rain that was threatening never made an appearance. 

Plenty of guests joining us, and at one stage we had a twelve string acoustic, a cellist, and a cajon’ist on ‘stage’. I love these stripped down acoustic gigs, oh and so does the landlady who has booked us back in November (this time in the bar). 

Today’s rig was my NS NXT, the TC Impulse with the 3Sigma German bass (mic 6) running into the EBS Stanley Clarke, then out to the desk and the TC 250 208 combo (for personal monitoring) via the SushiBox with bass in mind Finally valve DI. 

I think I am becoming addicted to double bass, and I can see the real thing making an appearance in my arsenal in the not too distant future. 

IMG_8524.jpeg

Edited by JPJ
Add photo
  • Like 13

Just back from a Bendricks Rock gig at the Lamb in Newport. Much more room than we were expecting. A few friends as well as enthusiastic locals. We felt a few songs were rushed and/or scrappy. How did we manage to butcher a song as simple as Sex Bomb?  But we went down well and the bar staff loved it.

Major plus point was finding my cheap and cheerful Thomann powered speakers were more than adequate for a pub gig (4 vocals).

Drummer Paul from Bluesfire was there and is practicing with us on monday ahead of a dep in September.

After that NOTHING! until September: (

IMG-20240804-WA0010.thumb.jpg.5d95f0588b91112cb4655f798306f279.jpg

• Like 15

On 30/07/2024 at 14:10, Bluewine said:

Yeah, it's a Tuesday...but it's not too early to look forward to the weekend and a Maple Road double-header! 

Sat. 8/3: Maple Road LIVE @ Wisconsin State Fair; Major Goolsby's Stage!  3:45pm-6:45pm. Fried stuff on a stick, a giant slide, unmatched people watching, and a whole lot of live rockin' blues! 

Sun. 8/4: Maple Road LIVE @ Kettle Moraine Supper Club!
2pm-5pm. Happy to be making our debut performance here! Come on out for some Sunday Funday action and we'll show 'em how we do things!

FB_IMG_1722366418343.jpg

We played the Major Goolsby stage at WI State Fair yesterday. 3:45-6:45.

Good crowd with a lot of dancing. I was able to play the whole gig standing up.

91° so we all stayed hydrated. Lots of rules and regulations to get to the stage.

You guys know I like some of the finer extras at gigs. We were told we'd have an air condition trailer with a stocked refrigerator. 

No band pics. However here are a few pics I took. Yes the trailer was luxurious.  Lol

Daryl

20240803_185920.jpg

20240803_192345.jpg

20240803_151854.jpg

20240803_190244.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 14
  • Haha 2

Really annoys me when we are assured the Glam band have a changing room and we turn up and its a literally a cupboard that 5 adults with several Glam costumes need to get changed in. Some venues have suggested we could use the toilets and we have to say No thanks that's not suitable. That's probably why we mainly play clubs that usually have committee rooms we can use.

I'd quite happily walk away from those venues as its hard enough changing in a tight space let alone coming off stage sweating like the proverbial and no area or space to cool down a bit before going back on stage for 2nd half.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 7

On 02/08/2024 at 23:39, EssexBuccaneer said:

Great night tonight at the Vulcan Restoration Trust beer and music festival. We headlined night 1, and had a solid set despite the sound on stage being a bit iffy (I could only hear myself and the drummist for most of the set).

The hangar was one of the more unique stages I’ve played on, with a pretty iconic piece of furniture out front!!!IMG_5085.thumb.jpeg.92dade36cbc71d6fa9fbdb7362681607.jpegIMG_4644.thumb.jpeg.c4138c8e01127ded2e07f68bad4f3124.jpegIMG_4639.thumb.jpeg.92186b84e847cfd67b550ec33e00c76f.jpeg

IMG_4642.jpeg

@EssexBuccaneer do you have any contact details for these guys? I have a periscopic sextant that i am told is from a Vulcan bomber that needs a new home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

No band pics. However here are a few pics I took. Yes the trailer was luxurious.  Lol

Daryl

20240803_185920.jpg

Luxury, when I were a lad,  you were lucky to get a used napkin to shleter from the rain.

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Luxury, when I were a lad,  you were lucky to get a used napkin to shleter from the rain.

Used napkin? We used to dream of a used napkin, all we had had were a couple of broken leafs and twigs from t'tree that we glued together with our own spit and blood, and that was if we were lucky. Most of time, we'd just have to stand there and hit our heads with rocks to make us forget the rain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Nice gig at a fairly local gastro pub type place last night. Hopefully our recent drummer issues are now behind us; the dep brought in that did the last couple of gigs with us (after the drummer for the last 9 years left with no notice) sadly hit some personal issues which left us drummerless with only 4 days to the next gig. Fortunately the dep that was due to come on board in November stepped in and smashed it out of the park. I’m hoping he’ll come on board permanently as he’s a great communicator on stage.

75F9E04A-7892-4FA5-8D2B-ED06E563AE01.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 14

Pub gig last night with blues band The Alligators. Venue was The Queens in Bridlington old town.

Strange layout with a high stage somehow reminiscent of an old galleon! Lively sounding room

so was pleased my Fender Rumble 500 combo coped with it okay. Used my Precision Lyte, which

did the job rather well.
One of those gigs where there was a constantly changing audience, probably due to a few other

boozers nearby with other entertainment going on, so got used to seeing new faces all night.
Only my 3rd gig with the band ( and just the 2nd time on bass! ) but it went pretty well - I didn’t drop

any huge clangers and managed to style out the rest ( I think! ). Will need to be digging out some

ear protection from now on though, am just not used to pub band levels. 

Next gig is this Friday, also in Bridlington town at The Stirling Castle. 

Apologies for the rather ordinary photos, it was better than it looked, honest!

IMG_4025.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

• Like 20

My first gig in two years last night was a dep job for rockabilly outfit 'The Rhythm Burners', whose DB player had broken his thumb. The 'sold out' event was brilliant, with a really good vibe to it. Some lovely comments on my playing/sound were greatly appreciated, as were the attentions of some rather pretty females 😊.

I don't play DB, so it was '76 Jazz, RM800 evo2, Markbass 210 pure into desk.

Oh, the van (drummers) ran out of diesel five miles from home  🙄.

The joys of being back on the road  😄.

IMG_20240803_191735.thumb.jpg.a275edb910ab85056140cb804009b10c.jpg

Edited by JazzyJ
Detail
  • Like 16

40 minutes ago, JazzyJ said:

My first gig in two years last night was a dep job for rockabilly outfit 'The Rhythm Burners', whose DB player had broken his thumb. The 'sold out' event was brilliant, with a really good vibe to it. Some lovely comments on my playing/sound were greatly appreciated, as were the attentions of some rather pretty females 😊.

I don't play DB, so it was '76 Jazz, RM800 evo2, Markbass 210 pure into desk.

Oh, the van (drummers) ran out of diesel five miles from home  🙄.

The joys of being back on the road  😄.

IMG_20240803_191735.thumb.jpg.a275edb910ab85056140cb804009b10c.jpg

It’s not allowed to say ‘76 Jazz’ without including a picture of it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Pub gig last night with blues band The Alligators. Venue was The Queens in Bridlington old town.

Strange layout with a high stage somehow reminiscent of an old galleon! Lively sounding room

so was pleased my Fender Rumble 500 combo coped with it okay. Used my Precision Lyte, which

did the job rather well.
One of those gigs where there was a constantly changing audience, probably due to a few other

boozers nearby with other entertainment going on, so got used to seeing new faces all night.
Only my 3rd gig with the band ( and just the 2nd time on bass! ) but it went pretty well - I didn’t drop

any huge clangers and managed to style out the rest ( I think! ). Will need to be digging out some

ear protection from now on though, am just not used to pub band levels. 

Next gig is this Friday, also in Bridlington town at The Stirling Castle. 

Apologies for the rather ordinary photos, it was better than it looked, honest!

IMG_4025.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

Nice wee set up there Pete.

Dave

5 hours ago, rwillett said:

Used napkin? We used to dream of a used napkin, all we had had were a couple of broken leafs and twigs from t'tree that we glued together with our own spit and blood, and that was if we were lucky. Most of time, we'd just have to stand there and hit our heads with rocks to make us forget the rain. 

Aye you were lucky. :laugh1:

3 hours ago, martthebass said:

Nice gig at a fairly local gastro pub type place last night. Hopefully our recent drummer issues are now behind us; the dep brought in that did the last couple of gigs with us (after the drummer for the last 9 years left with no notice) sadly hit some personal issues which left us drummerless with only 4 days to the next gig. Fortunately the dep that was due to come on board in November stepped in and smashed it out of the park. I’m hoping he’ll come on board permanently as he’s a great communicator on stage.

75F9E04A-7892-4FA5-8D2B-ED06E563AE01.jpeg

Nice one Mart. Hopefully the drummer issues are behind you.

Dave

• Thanks 1