Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice wee set up there Pete.

Dave

Thanks Dave. The guitarist uses a vintage Vox AC15 amp, which sounds wonderful but is 

quite loud! I couldn’t believe the PA set up too - a pair of Nova 10inch speakers ( made

many years ago by my good friend Lynn Blakeston, a local legend), and they are powered

by a truly ancient / vintage ( depending on your viewpoint) Peavey mixer amp, probably a

PA-300. It doesn’t have XLR mic connections, just good old jacks.  Incredibly, it doesn’t 

sound half bad either. Somehow matches the band’s ’old school’ vibe! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, martthebass said:

Nice gig at a fairly local gastro pub type place last night. Hopefully our recent drummer issues are now behind us; the dep brought in that did the last couple of gigs with us (after the drummer for the last 9 years left with no notice) sadly hit some personal issues which left us drummerless with only 4 days to the next gig. Fortunately the dep that was due to come on board in November stepped in and smashed it out of the park. I’m hoping he’ll come on board permanently as he’s a great communicator on stage.

75F9E04A-7892-4FA5-8D2B-ED06E563AE01.jpeg

That looks brilliant. As you appear to be in Yorkshire,  put up when you next have a gig and I'll see if I can make it. Mind you from one side of Yorkshire to t'other side (Bridlington) is 3hrs 15 mins.

Rob

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rwillett said:

That looks brilliant. As you appear to be in Yorkshire,  put up when you next have a gig and I'll see if I can make it. Mind you from one side of Yorkshire to t'other side (Bridlington) is 3hrs 15 mins.

Rob

I think the closest we are to your neck of the woods is Withernsea at the end of this month.

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Thanks Dave. The guitarist uses a vintage Vox AC15 amp, which sounds wonderful but is 

quite loud! I couldn’t believe the PA set up too - a pair of Nova 10inch speakers ( made

many years ago by my good friend Lynn Blakeston, a local legend), and they are powered

by a truly ancient / vintage ( depending on your viewpoint) Peavey mixer amp, probably a

PA-300. It doesn’t have XLR mic connections, just good old jacks.  Incredibly, it doesn’t 

sound half bad either. Somehow matches the band’s ’old school’ vibe! 

We do an occasional Blue Angels gig with the Punk covers band and we use their old Peavey PA mixer amp plus Peavey PA cabs and it sounds brilliant.

Our drummer used to be a sales manager for Peavey in their hey day of the 80's. He also did same with Pearl drums.

Dave

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I think the closest we are to your neck of the woods is Withernsea at the end of this month.

That's just under 3 hours from where we live 😊 still in the same county as well 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JazzyJ said:

😄

IMG_20240803_232848.thumb.jpg.37bf8a29550bcdbfdef37d0b275741bc.jpg

I had a late 70's Jazz with same neck as yours and it was glorious. Mine was a mocha body. Wish i had kept it. Can't even remember why i sold it.

Dave

GypsiesKiss-HeatheryBarTamRichardDavie(2).jpg.20c92d15fd0ce8550f9fe87e116afb93.jpg

• Like 3

Played a metalfest last night. Great gig, pretty busy and we seemed to go down pretty well. 

One of the warmest stages I’ve ever been on! 

We got a new drummer and he did very well. Few cock ups but no issues!

Our IEMs had a weird issue (I’ve posted in the IEM bible thread), guitarist could hear everything but drummer, singer and I couldn’t hear right and i was getting weird interference. Crackling etc. need to figure that out.

Sound was Quad Cortex direct with my Status Chris Wolstenholme (v1). Muchos compliments after!

Venue used smoke so photos were… difficult! 

6871b1ab-4157-4066-a277-6cb04cfb6a78.jpeg

Messenger_creation_5ef9b75a-5e8f-4df4-a279-b1092b85f27b.jpeg

941e080e-ce3e-412e-9d98-ac1756f9ea97.jpeg

Edited by woodyratm
  • Like 13

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

We do an occasional Blue Angels gig with the Punk covers band and we use their old Peavey PA mixer amp plus Peavey PA cabs and it sounds brilliant.

Our drummer used to be a sales manager for Peavey in their hey day of the 80's. He also did same with Pearl drums.

Dave

Old Peaveys are legendary for their survival! My old Mk4 bass head from the 80’s is still in use and

has never missed a beat, besides being used as a hire rig. The amp tech guy I use always swore

by their build quality and design too. Unfortunately ( as with many manufacturers ) things seemed

to start to slide downhill during the late 90’s. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

Old Peaveys are legendary for their survival! My old Mk4 bass head from the 80’s is still in use and

has never missed a beat, besides being used as a hire rig. The amp tech guy I use always swore

by their build quality and design too. Unfortunately ( as with many manufacturers ) things seemed

to start to slide downhill during the late 90’s. 

Had the Mk4 bass head too. Amazing tones. Had the passive channel for the low end and para EQ channel for the mids to high end. Had the full Marshall stack back then but changed to the Peavey head and what a sound you got. Eventually got rid of the 412's for a custom Peavey BW 12" & 15" cab.

Happy days.

Dave

95608395_1914078745390556_8442855378273697792_o(3).thumb.jpg.7f3c2dcc911feb58b5ad476b80d433ce.jpg 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, martthebass said:

Nice gig at a fairly local gastro pub type place last night. Hopefully our recent drummer issues are now behind us; the dep brought in that did the last couple of gigs with us (after the drummer for the last 9 years left with no notice) sadly hit some personal issues which left us drummerless with only 4 days to the next gig. Fortunately the dep that was due to come on board in November stepped in and smashed it out of the park. I’m hoping he’ll come on board permanently as he’s a great communicator on stage.

75F9E04A-7892-4FA5-8D2B-ED06E563AE01.jpeg

It’s not Christmas until Noddy says it’s Christmas 😂

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, rwillett said:

Used napkin? We used to dream of a used napkin, all we had had were a couple of broken leafs and twigs from t'tree that we glued together with our own spit and blood, and that was if we were lucky. Most of time, we'd just have to stand there and hit our heads with rocks to make us forget the rain. 

I shouldn't complain. Drinks and food were comped.

Daryl

• Haha 1

On 30/07/2024 at 14:10, Bluewine said:

Sun. 8/4: Maple Road LIVE @ Kettle Moraine Supper Club!
2pm-5pm. Happy to be making our debut performance here! Come on out for some Sunday Funday action and we'll show 'em how we do things!

FB_IMG_1722366418343.jpg

Not a bad gig.

We sounded really good. Engaged and respectful size crowd and food and drink comped.

It was the heat that got to me. I had to play the last few songs sitting down. I felt really faint. One of the patrons was hauled away in an ambulance. 

Guys, I'm 70. 2 gig weekends are becoming a challenge. 

Daryl

FB_IMG_1722816466377.jpg

20240804_133645.jpg

FB_IMG_1722826976835.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 13

9 hours ago, casapete said:

Pub gig last night with blues band The Alligators. Venue was The Queens in Bridlington old town.

Strange layout with a high stage somehow reminiscent of an old galleon! Lively sounding room

so was pleased my Fender Rumble 500 combo coped with it okay. Used my Precision Lyte, which

did the job rather well.
One of those gigs where there was a constantly changing audience, probably due to a few other

boozers nearby with other entertainment going on, so got used to seeing new faces all night.
Only my 3rd gig with the band ( and just the 2nd time on bass! ) but it went pretty well - I didn’t drop

any huge clangers and managed to style out the rest ( I think! ). Will need to be digging out some

ear protection from now on though, am just not used to pub band levels. 

Next gig is this Friday, also in Bridlington town at The Stirling Castle. 

Apologies for the rather ordinary photos, it was better than it looked, honest!

IMG_4025.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

The pics are fine. Sounds like a cool gig to me.

Daryl

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Not a bad gig.

We sounded really good. Engaged and respectful size crowd and food and drink comped.

It was the heat that got to me. I had to play the last few songs sitting down. I felt really faint. One of the patrons was hauled away in an ambulance. 

Guys, I'm 70. 2 gig weekends are becoming a challenge. 

Daryl

FB_IMG_1722816466377.jpg

20240804_133645.jpg

FB_IMG_1722826976835.jpg

Get yourself an 18" gym fan like this. I use it with Glam band with all the Glam gear it gets extremely hot in summer gigs. We're not huge on air-con over here i'm afraid. In some clubs it was costing too much to run it constantly so they switch it on when it gets too hot for the bar staff but no consideration for us on stage.

Dave

image.png.e5ffb7755a2bf87936d9d22e8fb36006.png

• Like 1

First gig for a little while on Saturday, at the Postcard Inn in the bustling metropolis of Holmfirth (Last of the Summer Wine territory for those of you of a certain age). We'd played here before a couple of years ago before my time and they were keen to have us back, so I enjoyed a lovely drive through the countryside and tested my car's clutch on some of the hills. Holmfirth actually was pretty bustling and trying to find a parking space in the large public car park behind the pub was a challenge, but I lucked out and got one relatively close, as opposed to our singist who had to park halfway to Denby Dale from the way he described it!. The pub has a downstairs bar as well where there was a function happening, and our guitarist and I got very confused when we walked in to see that a band had already set up before the bar staff sorted us out.

This was the first time I'd used my Siredowsky on a gig and it sounded mint through the ABM and Two10S in soundcheck, and I got positive feedback after the gig as well. The only issue I had is that somehow the level on my drive pedal seems to have been turned down, meaning I sounded really weedy on a couple of songs until I got a chance to turn up the amp volume to compensate, so I need to get that sorted before next time.

As for the gig itself, things were going pretty well until technical issues crept in (not mine this time, thank goodness!). Just past halfway in our first set when our keyboardist's synth decided it wanted to have a moment and he had to reset it, but unfortunately restored an old backup of his presets without knowing it so he had a bit of a flap at songs being missing. He figured out what he had done at halftime, but we had to swap in the first four songs of our second set to close out the first. This threw us all off a bit more than it should have. Club Foot (second set opener) went well, but our drummist made a complete hash of the breakdown in A Town Called Malice and it took us a few bars to get back on an even keel. That threw me off and I started the next song in the wrong key. Our guitarist's wah pedal was causing her issues as well, getting stuck on and her tone was interestingly weird in a few places because of it. 

Fortunately the second set went a lot smoother after our singist had had a gripe at all of us about our cockups (we were all too mature to mention him going for a wander during the breakdown of Sit Down and forgetting to start singing again for several bars though), but it's clear our keyboardist needs to do something about his synth as the pitch shifter is also temperamental. He doesn't have a case for it or anything, or a backup, so if it craps out then we're buggered as there aren't many of our songs that we can style out with no synth. Having had a major failure myself I have spares for everything except the cab, and in the unlikely event that fails then I'll be DI-ing through the PA, and our singist has a backup mic in case his wireless one fails. Our guitarist uses a Boss Katana combo, and if that ever craps out on her then we'd be similarly scuppered as most of her tones are based on presets and patches rather than effects pedals. I think a conversation about contingency measures needs to be had at our next rehearsal.

Obligatory "tonight's office" pic below. No band pics yet but there were a few people taking photos and videos so hopefully more might be forthcoming. No planned gig now until the end of November (!) but hopefully we might get one or two sorted before that.

PXL_20240803_183140115.thumb.jpg.5b025f2d492c8133eb3d028d51216e25.jpg

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

We're not huge on air-con over here i'm afraid. In some clubs it was costing too much to run it constantly so they switch it on when it gets too hot for the bar staff but no consideration for us on stage.

Dave

I remember one pub we regularly played at had air con, but it was broken. We had an August gig and I was dripping like an egg sandwich before we even started playing. Even the windows, which had steamed up, we couldn't open due to noise complaints. Apparently, a new resident, who had moved into a property near the pub - that's over a 100 years old, on a busy high street - complained to the council about the noise. IIRC the landlord also had to take down the hanging baskets of flowers outside because the same resident complained they exacerbated their hayfever!

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Get yourself an 18" gym fan like this. I use it with Glam band with all the Glam gear it gets extremely hot in summer gigs. We're not huge on air-con over here i'm afraid. In some clubs it was costing too much to run it constantly so they switch it on when it gets too hot for the bar staff but no consideration for us on stage.

Dave

image.png.e5ffb7755a2bf87936d9d22e8fb36006.png

Dave,

We had 2 or 3 of those fans on stage. One was right next to me. 

I used to be able to handle the heat. Those days are gone. Lol

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Dave,

We had 2 or 3 of those fans on stage. One was right next to me. 

I used to be able to handle the heat. Those days are gone. Lol

Daryl

Its one of the main reasons i attend the gym 3-4 times a week for past 3 yrs. At 64 things were getting too hard. Doing a lot better now tho.

To be fair you do experience a lot warmer weather than we do. At the moment we have 18 oC (circa 65 oF) so its just nice.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

Another week, another dead pub. Not sure how many more of these I can take. Flat singing (not me) and spending too much time messing on with the mixer (me), no energy from the crowd which we are all definitely reflecting. Humbug!

Setup (it did get a little busier!)

PXL_20240803_201727370.thumb.jpg.5f7347406613844166f0da9f28fc298f.jpg

Stage

PXL_20240803_201742635.thumb.jpg.730c84a5c850104bfe7b4784dd868023.jpg

Video

Edited by Jack
  • Like 11
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Jack said:

Another week, another dead pub. Not sure how many more of these I can take. Flat singing (not me) and spending too much time messing on with the mixer (me), no energy from the crowd which we are all definitely reflecting. Humbug!

Setup (it did get a little busier!)

PXL_20240803_201727370.thumb.jpg.5f7347406613844166f0da9f28fc298f.jpg

Stage

PXL_20240803_201742635.thumb.jpg.730c84a5c850104bfe7b4784dd868023.jpg

Video

Can you not aim for a pub with a younger crowd that might appreciate the songs a bit more altho you do have some dancing going on there so not all bad. 

Just a thought.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1