Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

7 hours ago, casapete said:

I’m playing with a blues band soon at a wedding! Both bride and groom have seen & enjoyed the band at

many gigs, but I have a feeling their family and friends might not be so keen. Same as tribute bands doing

weddings / family celebrations really - you probably have very little chance of entertaining all ages and

tastes unless it’s a wide ranging genre such as soul / glam / disco etc. 

My band Maple Road Blues Band is not really a traditional blues band. We have a mix of originals and covers we open up and jam out on. Jolene, Ohio, Knocking On Heavens Door, Angel From .Montgomery,  Them Changes to name a few. But we are certainly not a wedding band.

You never know how it will turn out. Give us a report.

Daryl

IMG_20240714_165921.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I get the reference.  I've been following bands, trends and genres in England since 1963, not 64, 1963.

Daryl

Sorry Daryl. Not trying to be patronising. I worked for two huge US corporations and I learnt not to assume my reference points would be understood. It didn’t stop the management communications being liberally sprinkled with Baseball and American Football references. Us Brits/Aussies just about understood most of the time but they often meant nothing to colleagues in Europe! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Dave,

We'll use an agent once in a blue moon. We really can't afford an agent.  If we were consistently booking $2,000.00 gigs there'd be some "wiggle room" even after commissions were paid.

Daryl

Same here Daryl.

Dave

• Like 2

11 hours ago, martthebass said:

+ the one on this.  A group of competent, friendly and professional individuals will always be my preference over the ego driven 'super-talent'. 

If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing.

To the OP, I'm always wary of taking too much notice of vocal sound quality on phone vids; I've cringed on occasion on band vids I've been on in the past where I thought the sound was ok and the video 'disagreed'.  If the audience were dancing then don't worry.  The only comments I have on the vocal quality on the vid is that it was maybe mixed a little high and could have done with a bit more effect as it was a bit 'dry'...............nothing to get too hung up about though, especially with the length of time the band has been going.

Yep have to agree with that too.

Dave

10 hours ago, casapete said:

I’m playing with a blues band soon at a wedding! Both bride and groom have seen & enjoyed the band at

many gigs, but I have a feeling their family and friends might not be so keen. Same as tribute bands doing

weddings / family celebrations really - you probably have very little chance of entertaining all ages and

tastes unless it’s a wide ranging genre such as soul / glam / disco etc. 

Yep doing a 70th birthday party this Sat with the Glam band. Done a few private parties in this venue and it can be very hit or miss. The birthday boy will love it assuming he's into Glam but rest of the audience you have no idea.

Not sure how we ended up with this gig as i vowed not to do any more private parties for that sole reason.

Hopefully we'll shock them into submission and get them dancing while confused. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I wish I was 64. If I was 64 I'd be doing cart wheels outside.  Lol

Daryl

3 yrs ago i struggled to walk up a hill on a hot day or even lift my own gear into a gig but thankfully now with a little bit of effort i am feeling as fit as i've been in a long long time.

Dave

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep doing a 70th birthday party this Sat with the Glam band. Done a few private parties in this venue and it can be very hit or miss. The birthday boy will love it assuming he's into Glam but rest of the audience you have no idea.

Not sure how we ended up with this gig as i vowed not to do any more private parties for that sole reason.

Hopefully we'll shock them into submission and get them dancing while confused. :laugh1:

Dave

Dave, It's always a tough call for us. It's hard for us to turn down private parties because over here they pay so well.

Daryl

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's actually bathroom tiles. I know because a mate of mine rented the flat Jerry Dammers used to live in...

Wow! That was a close one. I thought you said Jeffrey Dahmer aka the Milwaukee Cannible. 

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, martthebass said:

+ the one on this.  A group of competent, friendly and professional individuals will always be my preference over the ego driven 'super-talent'. 

If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing.

To the OP, I'm always wary of taking too much notice of vocal sound quality on phone vids; I've cringed on occasion on band vids I've been on in the past where I thought the sound was ok and the video 'disagreed'.  If the audience were dancing then don't worry.  The only comments I have on the vocal quality on the vid is that it was maybe mixed a little high and could have done with a bit more effect as it was a bit 'dry'...............nothing to get too hung up about though, especially with the length of time the band has been going.

One of my bands has a ridiculously talented blues guitarist, and he's only 22. But he's a modest and self-effacing as you can imagine. His other, indie band, were at number 3 in the UK physical singles chart and he's almost embarrassed by that.

For me and his long standing drummer the only frustration is his reluctance to push the band as hard as he could despite much encouragement from working musicians. Hexs more likely to tell you how he's working on his vocals in response to praise. As the 'rhythm section' it's insanely easy to play with him as he can telegraph what's happening so we stick in a fair bit of improv, yet my ear and playing individually and as a unit has come on in leaps and bounds. I know I'm still way short of his standard - I'm so used to it, then sometimes I'll realise he's kicked up a gear...

So yes, it's horrible to be stuck with a prima donna frontman, but if you find someone good who puts the band first, it really will lift you all up.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

My band Maple Road Blues Band is not really a traditional blues band. We have a mix of originals and covers we open up and jam out on. Jolene, Ohio, Knocking On Heavens Door, Angel From .Montgomery,  Them Changes to name a few. But we are certainly not a wedding band.

You never know how it will turn out. Give us a report.

Daryl

IMG_20240714_165921.jpg

Would love to be on the bill with you one day Daryl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BCH said:

Some pics unearthed from our gig in 1974/5 we were very proud of our gear (mostly imported) We couldn't lift that gear now!!! 

127270217_10158093158901799_5228693576783659183_n-1.thumb.jpg.e6dad42074f2cca54482381616522fff.jpg127934217_10158095610131799_6602213786397645379_n.jpg.6074412378b1204a71965c537c9d9be7.jpg

This is our set up now...no backline, no monitors, no acoustic drums.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Is that a Wallace amp, @BCH ?

image.png.bcc196cc778fe87231e9d0c06f13b660.png

Yes, well spotted ...it was fabulous...its was very heavy 2x KT88 output valves purchased from Supertramp who we meet in Scorpio studios 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BCH said:

This is our set up now...no backline, no monitors, no acoustic drums.

Are those not acoustic drums in the clip? Great singing BTW. I am in awe of musicians who can sing and play bass at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Are those not acoustic drums in the clip? Great singing BTW. I am in awe of musicians who can sing and play bass at the same time.

I think that they're a Drum-Tec electronic kit, which use acoustic shells, but are a full-fat e-drum kit. The giveaway for the non-drum-nerds would be the black cymbals. Drum-Tec are very high-end; the sound in that video are proof enough. Splendid performance shown; well done all. :friends:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Late report on two gigs last Friday and Sunday for Mustang Sally, using our fourth dep guitarist who was actually very good and a nice chap with it. Friday was a closed pre-event gig for the exhibitors only at a steam fair near Taunton. Big beer and food tent, a stage made of pallets and a good number of farmers, traction-engine owners and general hangers-on made for an excellent gig. It was helped by a short sharp shower at half-time, driving even more punters into the tent – total about 150. Our native Dorset lady singist did a great job of calling the numbers that the generally rustic crowd wanted, they loved it and we got paid so that we can call that evening a success. Pix are of our setup in the tent and a showman’s engine all lit up (uh-huh-huh!) just outside.

The Sunday gig was in my home town of West Bay in Dorset; my being on the event committee was always a good way to get a booking here!  We played 15:30-17:00 straight through, including some new numbers. The stages are set up right on the seafront so we had a fantastic sea view the whole time. Sound was surprisingly good given that the nearest land in front of us was Guernsey (60 miles). About 200 people watched us as they ate and drank copiously under the sunshine, so a good time was had by everyone. And another success for our #4 guitar dep. – shame he’s already in two other bands…

Next gig is in a seven day's time at a mid-week North Dorset county show; we’re back to dep #2 who is also pretty darn good, so hopefully more to enjoy

IMAG9880.jpg

IMAG9879.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Gasman said:

Late report on two gigs last Friday and Sunday for Mustang Sally, using our fourth dep guitarist who was actually very good and a nice chap with it. Friday was a closed pre-event gig for the exhibitors only at a steam fair near Taunton. Big beer and food tent, a stage made of pallets and a good number of farmers, traction-engine owners and general hangers-on made for an excellent gig. It was helped by a short sharp shower at half-time, driving even more punters into the tent – total about 150. Our native Dorset lady singist did a great job of calling the numbers that the generally rustic crowd wanted, they loved it and we got paid so that we can call that evening a success. Pix are of our setup in the tent and a showman’s engine all lit up (uh-huh-huh!) just outside.

The Sunday gig was in my home town of West Bay in Dorset; my being on the event committee was always a good way to get a booking here!  We played 15:30-17:00 straight through, including some new numbers. The stages are set up right on the seafront so we had a fantastic sea view the whole time. Sound was surprisingly good given that the nearest land in front of us was Guernsey (60 miles). About 200 people watched us as they ate and drank copiously under the sunshine, so a good time was had by everyone. And another success for our #4 guitar dep. – shame he’s already in two other bands…

Next gig is in a seven day's time at a mid-week North Dorset county show; we’re back to dep #2 who is also pretty darn good, so hopefully more to enjoy

IMAG9880.jpg

IMAG9879.jpg

Amazes me how you guys find deps so easily.

Also impresses me how guys can just drop into a band and be that good.

Dave

I've been amazed too! Dep #4 was playing in another band at a mini-fest we gigged at. Our singist isn't backward in coming forward so just went up after he'd finished playing and asked him whether he would like to dep two gigs for us. He said he'd never depped before but would love to try! She sent him our generic setlists, he learned the ones he'd never played before in a couple of weeks, turned up and did a great job on two gigs for us - even helped carry the PA in! Solid gold, that guy... would love to have him permanently.

Edited by Gasman
Further elucidation
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Gasman said:

I've been amazed too! Dep #4 was playing in another band at a mini-fest we gigged at. Our singist isn't backward in coming forward so just went up after he'd finished playing and asked him whether he would like to dep two gigs for us. He said he'd never depped before but would love to try! She sent him our generic setlists, he learned the ones he'd never played before in a couple of weeks, turned up and did a great job on two gigs for us - even helped carry the PA in! Solid gold, that guy... would love to have him permanently.

I want his number as well!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I think that they're a Drum-Tec electronic kit, which use acoustic shells, but are a full-fat e-drum kit. The giveaway for the non-drum-nerds would be the black cymbals. Drum-Tec are very high-end; the sound in that video are proof enough. Splendid performance shown; well done all. :friends:

Thats correct...our drummer has a number of acoustic shells with Roland or Drum Tec skins...+ the various Brains....they are so consistent and easy to mix and as you say a very full powerful sound...and no noise on stage.  Ha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BCH said:

Thats correct...our drummer has a number of acoustic shells with Roland or Drum Tec skins...+ the various Brains....they are so consistent and easy to mix and as you say a very full powerful sound...and no noise on stage.  Ha

I live and learn. The drummer in one of the bands I play in uses an electronic kit; Roland I think. It looks more like scaffolding than a drum kit. The actual “drums” are pretty small and certainly don’t resemble their acoustic equivalents. It sounds pretty good though and it can be turned down 😀.

• Thanks 1