Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, Obrienp said:

I live and learn. The drummer in one of the bands I play in uses an electronic kit; Roland I think. It looks more like scaffolding than a drum kit. The actual “drums” are pretty small and certainly don’t resemble their acoustic equivalents. It sounds pretty good though and it can be turned down 😀.

Not so long ago, bass players had to get used to the differences between acoustic double basses and electric Precision basses (with their amplifiers...); the wheel turns, and it's now the drummer's turn. No-one will bat an eyelid at the 'scaffolding' in a couple of generations from now; acoustic kits will be treasured 'retro' novelties for Grandads, playing that (very...) old-school 'rock' music. :friends:

• Haha 2

Just now, Dad3353 said:

Not so long ago, bass players had to get used to the differences between acoustic double basses and electric Precision basses (with their amplifiers...); the wheel turns, and it's now the drummer's turn. No-one will bat an eyelid at the 'scaffolding' in a couple of generations from now; acoustic kits will be treasured 'retro' novelties for Grandads, playing that (very...) old-school 'rock' music. :friends:

Was in a rock band during late 80's where drummer had a Simmonds kit altho he preferred the traditional snare but we regularly got comments from landlords about how we can turn the drums down and reducing overall band noise. Have to admit it did have a very full drum sound especially when doing a Phil Collins sound. He also had a sampling system attached to it somehow and was able to do the clocks from Pink Floyd Time.

Great band and had a lot of fun with it.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Not sure drummers have the mental ability to cope with modern technology. Their brains are still developing. Perhaps one day drummers will be classed as musicians but then again :biggrin:

Dave :laugh1:

image.thumb.png.996236dc32211bd73561b03070fb7aaf.png

Dave :laugh1:

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Big Gig this Saturday.  Big stage, Big sound & lights. National Headliners.

We only play for an hour.

Daryl

**Waukesha Rotary BluesFest**, August 9 & 10 at Naga-Waukee Park, Delafield featuring the "New Generation" of the blues with headliners **Ally Venable** and **GA-20** plus **Tinsley Ellis** (solo) and **Buckwheat Zydeco Jr. & The Legendary Ils Sont Partis Band**! www.waukeshabluesfest.com

FB_IMG_1723147824526.jpg

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

And what I like about bass chat. While our bands are all different we still deal with a lot the same issues.

It's why Spinal Tap continues to be relevant. There's common themes and people doing stupid stuff at every level! It doesn't matter the genre or location.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Big Gig this Saturday.  Big stage, Big sound & lights. National Headliners.

We only play for an hour.

Daryl

**Waukesha Rotary BluesFest**, August 9 & 10 at Naga-Waukee Park, Delafield featuring the "New Generation" of the blues with headliners **Ally Venable** and **GA-20** plus **Tinsley Ellis** (solo) and **Buckwheat Zydeco Jr. & The Legendary Ils Sont Partis Band**! www.waukeshabluesfest.com

FB_IMG_1723147824526.jpg

Looks like a great venue Daryl, Have a good one sir.

Dave

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I like this topic.

And what I like about bass chat. While our bands are all different we still deal with a lot the same issues. 

Comments?

Daryl

https://www.facebook.com/share/6sEwgPb8kbRQfoX3/?mibextid=D5vuiz

You like it so much you posted it twice Daryl. :laugh1:

Agree 100% with you. We've all experienced the same transport issues, audience response, venue issues, equipment issues, odd audience members whether fun or worrying :biggrin: no matter what style of band we are in.

I've also picked up on how others on BC have developed with their bands over the years. BC is such a wonderful place to share our experiences and pass on advice we've gathered. You're never too old to learn from experience.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now that we've all finally got rid of (though not yet fully recovered from) the Covid which scuppered our birthday gig at the end of July, we (Rascallion) reconvened on Thursday afternoon to bang out a few tunes for the "Family Day" event at the care home where Mr Lead Guitar's mother had resided happily for the last few years of her life. 

Same as last year's event, the weather forecast wasn't looking too hopeful, but we set up as best we could in the shelter provided by the small wooden gazebo in the garden, which had been extended forwards with a pop-up gazebo (thank you Lily's Boutique of Woodhall Spa!). Mr Drums was using a reduced kit of just snare, kick, hi-hat, and a couple of cymbals, so a few tunes didn't sound quite right, and for once I struggled to get a decent onstage sound out of my trusty Trace Elliot mini-rig (AH200 head + BLX-110 cab). In desperation I did something I've not done in ages, punched in pre-shape 1 plus a less-than-carefully-sculpted gullwing shape on the EQ, and was rewarded with a lovely deep, rich tone which fitted in beautifully without booming - must try this more often! Luckily the overall sound out front seemed to be good right from the start.

First set was rather soulless / soul-destroying as we played to a small number of folks loitering in the summer house to the right of us plus an equally small number dotted around the garden under various umbrellas, and got pretty much zero reaction until we finished the set to a smattering of applause.

We had originally intended to take a 20 minute break, but as the rain had now set in (along with a distinct "let's-get-the-heck-out-of-Dodge" feeling), we gave it 10 minutes then cracked on. For whatever reason, the second set felt much more satisfying, and by the time we hit Roadhouse Blues, a few folks were actually up and showing an interest, and even applauding loudly. Our final run of Walking By Myself, Long Train Runnin', Gimme Some Lovin', Whiskey In The Jar and Bad Moon Rising went down a storm, and we even had to pull Old Time Rock & Roll out of our back pockets as an encore. Totally different to the first set! 

As we were packing up, half a dozen folks wandered in from the small "Garden of Tranquility" where they'd been hidden from view round the corner from us, and said how much they'd enjoyed it and had been bopping along (embarrassingly so in one case apparently!), which made it all worthwhile. We also got a couple of enquiries from folks about booking us at a later date, though to be honest the same happened last year without anything coming of it, so we're not counting our chickens just yet.

That's it for now as we've nothing else in the diary for this year, so it's back to the workhouse next week to work on a few more new songs, and see what might come up.

Definitely one of the more interesting setups we've had, but happily, despite the rain dripping in through the small gap between the two gazebos, all the gear stayed dry (with the help of several carrier bags and amp covers) apart from one DI box which somehow got overlooked. 

woodhall 1.jpg

woodhall 2.jpg

• Like 14

On 08/08/2024 at 09:59, BCH said:

Thats correct...our drummer has a number of acoustic shells with Roland or Drum Tec skins...+ the various Brains....they are so consistent and easy to mix and as you say a very full powerful sound...and no noise on stage.  Ha

Another example this time with digital cymbals 

57172615_10156469340416799_5543603134640685056_n.thumb.jpg.111f557394cc718fb208cfc1e06995b7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looks like a great venue Daryl, Have a good one sir.

Dave

You like it so much you posted it twice Daryl. :laugh1:

Agree 100% with you. We've all experienced the same transport issues, audience response, venue issues, equipment issues, odd audience members whether fun or worrying :biggrin: no matter what style of band we are in.

I've also picked up on how others on BC have developed with their bands over the years. BC is such a wonderful place to share our experiences and pass on advice we've gathered. You're never too old to learn from experience.

Dave

Dave,

I can't count the number of times I've read a post from a fellow bass chatter and said, "I thought that was just me"

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

It's why Spinal Tap continues to be relevant. There's common themes and people doing stupid stuff at every level! It doesn't matter the genre or location.

My favorite Spinal Tap scene is when they opened for a puppet show playing " free form" jazz. Lol

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, tony_m said:

They're great, aren't they! 😎

Just a super work horse bass. Mine is a 2000 MIJ 1951 reissue. 

I love that custom pick guard on your's. 

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

Last night was the first proper run-out for my new acoustic duo. The vocalist and myself, from our covers band, have got to the point where we want to gig a lot more than the rest of them. We are both retired with no childcare responsibilities, the rest of the band are younger than us and have either one, or both, of those things to manage. So, we’ve put together a duo for those weeks we have no full band gigs. The plan is to tap unto the micro pub and café market locally. We’ve already got a few in the diary, including an Indian restaurant that Mick, the singer, goes to every week. I’ll be happy to be paid in-kind for that one ☺️.

For now, we are just plugging straight into the PA with no monitoring. We will review that as we go along. Our set is unashamedly sing-along covers.

9D98A47A-DE3F-4C4D-8A37-96AF82427351.jpeg

• Like 17

Just did a farewell gig for our guitarist/singer in the covers band and unfortunately it's probably the worst we've ever played! For some reason we were just not connecting musically, which is unusual, but these things happen and we still had a good time.

For this band I'm playing drums but I thought I'd tell this anacdote here as it's quite amusing. So, singer/guitarist starts the song with me on rim shots (guess the number!), and at the appropriate point second guitar and bass join in. At this point I assumed we would stop and restart given that the bass and second guitar are each in a different key to each other and the singer... but no, apparently that's unprofessional so we limp on playing the number in three different keys. I could see the confusion in the bassists eyes as he goes over to the second guitarist, they nod at each and at the end of the bar they change key but in the confusion they just swap keys, neither of which is what the singer is in! Eventually they figure out that they probably need to synchronise with the singer which they managed for the last chorus. Basically they forgot we had changed the key for the vocals with the bassist in the original key and the second guitar a semi tone higher for some bizzare reason. 

Anyway, it was quite the most novel free form jazz rendition of 'run to you' I've ever heard (we even apologised to the audience it was that bad! Although if it had been a jazz venue I think it would have been genius).

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Daryl

I love the 51 reissues with the rocket shaped covers. I think I got the first one in Canada.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Daryl

Mine's a 1994 MIJ '51 reissue, custom pickguard is homemade - self-adhesive vinyl (AKA "sticky-backed plastic" to Brits of a certain age) stuck onto a single-ply white aftermarket pickguard. The other bit of customisation you can't see is a set of Webbteca phenolic saddles - old school dodgy intonation ahoy! 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 06/08/2024 at 10:27, martthebass said:

To the OP, I'm always wary of taking too much notice of vocal sound quality on phone vids; I've cringed on occasion on band vids I've been on in the past where I thought the sound was ok and the video 'disagreed'.  If the audience were dancing then don't worry. 

So true. I've had phone videos of me singing and I think I sound awful, yet on the same video the crowd are applauding and having a good time. So I can't be as bad as I think I sound. (I keep telling myself this!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Dave,

I can't count the number of times I've read a post from a fellow bass chatter and said, "I thought that was just me"

Daryl

Nope its happened to most if not all at some stage in their career i reckon.

Dave

• Like 2

Erm. Brief.

Multi band “battle” thing…I know…

But, we smashed it - playing a festival tomorrow.

Nice little event - about 40-50 folks In a lovely venue.

Sound was shocking onstage, but played alright - nice response considering we didn’t really take anyone of ours (as they’re out to see us tomorrow).

IMG_1244.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 17