Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Massive pub employing multiple door and bar staff with just a handful of punters. 

I have no clue how they remain open. 

However, those few therein thoroughly enjoyed the band and the sound was surprisingly good. 

I employed this rig 

IMG20240817212711.thumb.jpg.76b73b4cc7c91fb36f146db1ea906e15.jpg

and once again the Elf absolutely astonished me.

The venue as I've said is huge, the last time I played there I used an Ampeg CL all valve amp through two 15" Barefaced cabs. The Elf was barely on. Gain at about 2, master about 4 and it filled place. 

Should have attended looks fun but JDV otherwise engaggeeedd. Arctangent was worth the effort. Festival and myself was a bit of a mess. See my Arctangent thresd

• Like 2

40th birthday party at Starr Spoirt, Canvey Island last night. It’s a venue we’ve played a several time in the main bar, but we had the luxury of playing in the function suite with a generous stage and lightning this time. I almost didn’t know what to do with myself, I had so much space! Although this also meant carting all the gear up and down a couple of flights of stairs. 

We played well, but the audience was difficult to crack at first, but by the time we started our second set, they were all lubricated enough to get up and dance and sing.

We got there a little earlier than usual at 4.30 as the party was due to start at 7pm and we wanted set up without rushing and find time to get something to eat and relax before playing at 8.30. Finished at 11 and home one 1am. I felt absolutely broken we I got home! Totally worth it, of course.

IMG_1093.jpeg

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 14

Gigs on Friday and Saturday (as a weekend warrior band with a rhythm section of two OAPs, we try and avoid this). My car had decided to play up so all the PA and my bass gear had to go into Mrs Zero's Nissan LEAF, which it did comfortably. Friday's gig went OK, last night was a bit more shaky.

About two-thirds of the way through the first set, the bass suddenly started sounding horrible. Quick bass change in case there was a battery issue - the same. The band went into "Time of your life" to give me a little time to sort it. Putting the bass wired straight into the amp gave the same result, so I tried putting the bass through the PA (Behringer XR18, Alto 408 active speakers) but there seemed to be some issue with the channel routing and I couldn't get any sound from any channel other than the three vocal channels, so unplugged my mic and put the bass through that channel just in time to play under the solo of "Tennessee Whiskey", the first set closer. Tried some more fiddling in the interval but still couldn't work out what was wrong with the routing so left my mic off and the bass in there. Bass sounded fine even through the 8" Altos which I'd high-passed at either 60Hz or 80Hz (can't remember which).

It did lead to one one amusing (for me) moment when a woman from the audience decided that she wanted to sing too, so came into our stage area and commandeered my mic. Singing her heart out to "Sweet Child o'Mine" to no avail. I told her before the next number (first encore) so she went to the second guitarist's mic instead, and her friend got her off the stage before we did the final number.

Diagnosis about to start on the amp, and I shall work out what the issue is with the mixer.

• Like 9
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Gigs on Friday and Saturday (as a weekend warrior band with a rhythm section of two OAPs, we try and avoid this). My car had decided to play up so all the PA and my bass gear had to go into Mrs Zero's Nissan LEAF, which it did comfortably. Friday's gig went OK, last night was a bit more shaky.

About two-thirds of the way through the first set, the bass suddenly started sounding horrible. Quick bass change in case there was a battery issue - the same. The band went into "Time of your life" to give me a little time to sort it. Putting the bass wired straight into the amp gave the same result, so I tried putting the bass through the PA (Behringer XR18, Alto 408 active speakers) but there seemed to be some issue with the channel routing and I couldn't get any sound from any channel other than the three vocal channels, so unplugged my mic and put the bass through that channel just in time to play under the solo of "Tennessee Whiskey", the first set closer. Tried some more fiddling in the interval but still couldn't work out what was wrong with the routing so left my mic off and the bass in there. Bass sounded fine even through the 8" Altos which I'd high-passed at either 60Hz or 80Hz (can't remember which).

It did lead to one one amusing (for me) moment when a woman from the audience decided that she wanted to sing too, so came into our stage area and commandeered my mic. Singing her heart out to "Sweet Child o'Mine" to no avail. I told her before the next number (first encore) so she went to the second guitarist's mic instead, and her friend got her off the stage before we did the final number.

Diagnosis about to start on the amp, and I shall work out what the issue is with the mixer.

As for the xr18, do you have the x touch controller or are you just relying on software? I had issues at a gig once with software crashes and WiFi not working… never again and got the hardware so no more worries. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

40th birthday party at Starr Spoirt, Canvey Island last night. It’s a venue we’ve played a several time in the main bar, but we had the luxury of playing in the function suite with a generous stage and lightning this time. I almost didn’t know what to do with myself, I had so much space! Although this also meant carting all the gear up and down a couple of flights of stairs. 

We played well, but the audience was difficult to crack at first, but by the time we started our second set, they were all lubricated enough to get up and dance and sing.

We got there a little earlier than usual at 4.30 as the party was due to start at 7pm and we wanted set up without rushing and find time to get something to eat and relax before playing at 8.30. Finished at 11 and home one 1am. I felt absolutely broken we I got home! Totally worth it, of course.

IMG_1093.jpeg

Love the stage, quite different from the usual square box type.

I do love a decent size stage. In the Glam band i get sore feet and legs if i cant move about a bit wearing platform boots.

Its murder when i literally can't move at all but that is getting very rare these days.

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I do love a decent size stage. In the Glam band i get sore feet and legs if i cant move about a bit wearing platform boots.

Its murder when i literally can't move at all but that is getting very rare these days.

Dave

You need a pair of these.

balenciaga-rose-bonbon-Platform-Crocs.jp

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

I like being wireless and having a decent size stage too. During sound checks I mark off three spots on stage II will shift on and off to.

Daryl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

About two-thirds of the way through the first set, the bass suddenly started sounding horrible. Quick bass change in case there was a battery issue - the same. 

I have to put a fresh 9 volt in my 1994 G&L ASAT Bass with active pre amp before every gig. It won't play in passive mode if the battery is dead.

Daryl

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I have to put a fresh 9 volt in my 1994 G&L ASAT Bass with active pre amp before every gig. It won't play in passive mode if the battery is dead.

Daryl

You sure about that?  My Tribute L-2000 could do that - even worked in passive with the battery removed.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Daryl

A tech would soon sort that.... also, you could just bin off the active pre amp and use passive permanently to save on battery induced anxiety.

Edited by Boodang
  • Thanks 1

Just back from this afternoon's gig. 

Busy pub, loads of people in the garden. 2h30m including a 15 min break. Polite clapping after a few songs, more enthusiastic clapping and cheering after others. Some singing. 

Mostly lots of blank faces while we played though. 

Calls for an encore. We played 2 more tunes.

I'll never understand audiences. Too hot to jump around.

We got paid and will go back at some point. 

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Perhaps an anti-fatigue mat would be useful. I have one at work when I use my standing desk.

But yes, the stage was a delight to play on. As I mentioned previously, bands booked by the bar itself play downstairs at one end of the room. We were actually the first band to play there, and they considered having band nights upstairs in the function room, but our singer rightly advised them to have bands downstairs to attract walk-ins.  If passers by heard a band playing upstairs they’d probably assume it’s a private party and not bother going in to find out (regardless how many posters you put up).

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 3

Jam Night on Thursday.

The host band set up the stage in a different orientation.  I think it probably worked better.  It's not really attracting a following yet - it's an out of town venue, so hardly surprising.  The stage area is bigger so it does mean I'm less concerned about whacking the singer and can thus use my long scale basses rather than the headless shortscale - my G&L L2000 got a run out.

We were asked by one of the other bands if we fancied doing a half gig with them.  Probably neither band is at the stage where we can do a full gig yet.  10 - 12 songs so I think we should be able to manage that.  The guitarist and I are keen on it, so I think there is a good chance we'll do it.

This is us doing Price Tag.  I'm not sure what happened with Vicky's voice with "Look to the Left" and "Look to the right".  Hopefully we can sort that out at the next rehearsal as I think this could be a good gig starter for us.  James' rap is good.

• Like 12

48 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You sure about that?  My Tribute L-2000 could do that - even worked in passive with the battery removed.

Mine is a 1994 ASAT. Definitely doesn't work in passive. I had it fail miserably at a gig once. I don't ever want to go through that again.

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Simon C said:

Jam Night on Thursday.

The host band set up the stage in a different orientation.  I think it probably worked better.  It's not really attracting a following yet - it's an out of town venue, so hardly surprising.  The stage area is bigger so it does mean I'm less concerned about whacking the singer and can thus use my long scale basses rather than the headless shortscale - my G&L L2000 got a run out.

We were asked by one of the other bands if we fancied doing a half gig with them.  Probably neither band is at the stage where we can do a full gig yet.  10 - 12 songs so I think we should be able to manage that.  The guitarist and I are keen on it, so I think there is a good chance we'll do it.

This is us doing Price Tag.  I'm not sure what happened with Vicky's voice with "Look to the Left" and "Look to the right".  Hopefully we can sort that out at the next rehearsal as I think this could be a good gig starter for us.  James' rap is good.

Nice job!

Daryl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Daryl

Can you not get a battery tester and check the voltage. If its below 9.1V its replaced but if above that it stays for a bit yet. I normally get around a year out of a battery in my Sandberg VM4. I only use Duracell 9V batteries. A new battery should be 9.6V or above. Also check the dates on your batteries when you buy them as they could have been lying on a shelf for yrs.

Dave

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Perhaps an anti-fatigue mat would be useful. I have one at work when I use my standing desk.

But yes, the stage was a delight to play on. As I mentioned previously, bands booked by the bar itself play downstairs at one end of the room. We were actually the first band to play there, and they considered having band nights upstairs in the function room, but our singer rightly advised them to have bands downstairs to attract walk-ins.  If passers by heard a band playing upstairs they’d probably assume it’s a private party and not bother going in to find out (regardless how many posters you put up).

I might invest in some gel insoles. Not sure about anti-fatigue mat but i'll do a search to see what they are all about.

Cheers for that.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Mine is a 1994 ASAT. Definitely doesn't work in passive. I had it fail miserably at a gig once. I don't ever want to go through that again.

Daryl

Change the preamp to one that has a passive option?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Can you not get a battery tester and check the voltage. If its below 9.1V its replaced but if above that it stays for a bit yet. I normally get around a year out of a battery in my Sandberg VM4. I only use Duracell 9V batteries. A new battery should be 9.6V or above. Also check the dates on your batteries when you buy them as they could have been lying on a shelf for yrs.

Dave

9v batteries are good down to 7v. 

I played at the Old Bush Blues Festival in Worcestershire on Friday, depping with Hooson Maguire playing rocky blues / soul stuff. 

Great little festival - sold out with 500 capacity, great crowd, well organised and really friendly. We stayed over for a coupe of nights and caught up with a few people we hadn't seen for a while. Great to play with my old mucka Paddy Maguire and the excellent Jenna Hooson-Maguire again. 

For those interested in such things, I was using a 78 P bass into a Caveman pre / Handbox R400 / Berg CN212. Apologies for the quality of the photos, taken on a phone by my missus, who may have had a couple of ciders / attempting to dance while taking them...! 

20240816_194958.jpg

20240816_202116.jpg

20240816_203009.jpg

Edited by peteb
  • Like 10

Played the Monarch in Dunfermline last night with our new band, Temptation Waits. After the fallout/implosion of the last band, this one was put together in a fortnight so we could fulfil a support slot the previous band cancelled. We only had two rehearsals, but it went really well, thoroughly enjoyed it. Singer did amazing to pull it all together in such a short time and the new guitarist is great - not too loud, flexible, great tone and can actually play! We used the main acts backline and PA, they were fantastic help getting us all set up, couldn't have been better. And their sets were absolutely superb as well. 

Gear wise, I played my usual Squier 40th Anniversary through my HX Stomp.

2024-08-1818_38_07.thumb.jpg.c21df6161dc7597d9e63c3cc38e3bdfd.jpg

• Like 14

Early evening set at Gosport Waterfront Festival on Sunday.

The set we’d worked up to bang through to hit the time slot with minimal gaps worked well and finished bang on.

No IEM’s and a quick line & level check meant relying on the stage monitors, but with a great sound and backstage team running everything efficiently it wasn’t too much of an issue. 

Considerably more space than usual and we tried to move around and not be rooted the the spot which went ok - I should probably have used my radio but haven’t for a while now so went with what I know and a lead which was fine. Though the joys of open air and I managed to inhale a fly at one point taking a gulp for BV’s 😳🤮

Genz Benz Streamliner and a BigBaby2 (which was followed onstage by a Big Twin that was sounding nice 👌). Having messed with the settings on the Darkglass in the ‘situation’ at soundcheck on Friday I stuck with what had worked then and I think it was ok out front.

Reaction was good and a lot of positive comments followed on Facebook, though I really need to get back in the treadmill based on the photographic evidence!!🫣🤣

A couple of videos that have shown up on FB so far that may, or may not, work :

Maniac

Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting

And so after a couple of days as a weekend warrior ’rock star’ in a couple of hours I have to get up and go back to the humdrum of the day job 😢

IMG_1332.jpeg

• Like 15