Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

21 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

I must make it to see Hurtsfall at some point.  In fact, there's a few Goth bands whose bass players are BC natives - BC GothFest?!

I'm afraid that you are going to have to be prepared to travel as we haven't got anything even remotely close to Mid Wales at the moment. And the nearest we are likely to come is if we get invited to play Goths On A Field next year.

A BC GothFest might be something worth considering...

• Like 1

Depped with the Lee Aaron Band at a pub in Bracknell on Friday night. First pub dep I've done in a little while but went very well.

Pub itself was fine, though quite a few of the clientele were questionable (a few too many people asking for charlie).... but they seemed to enjoy it. Had a barrier to provide separation and keep them from falling onto our pedals etc.... ;)

Used my Spector Euro Classic and GK Legacy800 Head/Genz Benz NX2112 cab. Sounded awesome and cut through a v noisy rest of band with ease. 😎

20240817_202453.jpg

20240817_202236.jpg

Edited by cetera
  • Like 13

59 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I'm afraid that you are going to have to be prepared to travel as we haven't got anything even remotely close to Mid Wales at the moment. And the nearest we are likely to come is if we get invited to play Goths On A Field next year.

A BC GothFest might be something worth considering...

I can certainly make it to Ellesmere, so if you play GOAF I'll come and see you.  Travelling to gigs is pretty much a given out this way; when I was a teenager our "local" gig venue was JB's in Dudley!  My brother and our friends used to pile into my Mum's Citroen AX and hammer along the M54 to see whoever was on there.

• Like 2

After last week's Proper Music Pub outing, back down to reality Satdy night, in one of those 'Why do they even have a band on?' pubs...landlady was apparently new to the game, and wanted us on at 8, when we'd arrived at 7:30 for a previously-agreed 9:00 start (new mixer, a Soundcraft ui24, we'd given ourselves more setup time (normally an hour's plenty), despite the BL's assurance that he'd leart all about it and all would be fine, it wasn't - my inears were one side only, we'll get that sorted this week before the weekend's double-header), and then when we took a break at 9:45 she said 'I'd like you to play till half twelve'. She was politely and gently disabused of this notion (we're not Bluewine's band 🙂), nevertheless we went on about ten to eleven and finished after twelve...not that it mattered; another place with a sparse-ish clientele, average age about seventy, who went as far as polite applause. We finished the main set to the same polite applause and not a single shout for more. BL called two anyway, more to fill the time out than anything. It's draining, playing gigs like that.

Gear was fine, apart from the one ear situation: never had an issue with the previous two digital desks I've used, the Soundcraft must have a different Aux Send setup, I believe there's a Mono switch in my Behringer P2 (never had to use it yet) which will sort, we're doing a 'technical rehearsal' (which I suggested last week) during the week.

Next weekend's gigs will be with two different dep drummers, one of which is good, and the other...isn't. Friday's venue is a monthly residency-type thing in the grim place which was swarming with the Polis after that serious assault. Of course that's the one with the better drummer. Can't wait. Still, we got paid...

Just remembered; big upside of the Soundcraft mixer is the mixes are all accessible via iPad/phone; I took my iPad and stand, so no hutching across a tight stage to get to the faders mid/between songs...it'll also do pre/post feeds to the Aux Send channel, so I can get my bass sound as is from the Stomp, rather than post-EQ for the mains, which is quite different...sounded really good in one ear, anyway...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, TimR said:

9v batteries are good down to 7v. 

It obviously depends on the circuit they are being used in. One of my basses starts distorting slightly at 8.0V and because of that i give myself some leeway at 9V. Mainly because i do forget to check the voltage on a regular basis. Batteries tend to last quite a long time on my basses tho. Minimum 1 yr. Possibly depends on how often i use that bass tho.

I've also had issues with effects pedals that i occasionally use with batteries and when i check the battery its in the low 8V area.

Rather than take a risk i just change them at 9V or below.

Dave

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cetera said:

Depped with the Lee Aaron Band at a pub in Bracknell on Friday night. First pub dep I've done in a little while but went very well.

Is that Lee Aaron, as in Canadian 'Metal Queen' singer? If so, I'm a bit surprised that she has come over to play gigs in pubs as I would have assumed that she would be hitting the club / small venue circuit. I'm always curious about the logistics about how you put together a tour for artists from overseas at that level. 

• Like 1

@dmccombe7 Are you measuring them under load or disconnected?

There is a lot of voltage sag on a 9v battery depending on the load. So an effects pedal will be drawing more current and the voltage will sag a lot lower, compared to an active bass. The open circuit measurement won't tell you a lot. 

Best way is to use an actual battery tester rather than a multimeter. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Odd one for us yesterday. The drummer is in another band, they had a gig at one of the venues that is hard to get in (a local beauty spot on a hill), but their singer couldn't be bothered, so he asked if we wanted to do it, but our singer was away. Rather than turn it down he decided that we would ask the singer of another band if she wanted to do a one off gig with us as she had recently quit her band, so she said ok. So we had 4 weeks for us to make a 45 track set list which consisted of all the songs that our setlists shared, so she had to learn 15-20 of ours, and we had to learn 10-15 of hers. and a couple of holidays in the middle.

So we did it yesterday. Unfortunately the crowd was a bit smaller than usual as they had put an odd name up for the group (we would have got more with our own name), but it worked out pretty well, there were a few little mistakes as you can imagine, but there were no disasters and we got through it well.

And more importantly it was fun!

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, peteb said:

Is that Lee Aaron, as in Canadian 'Metal Queen' singer? If so, I'm a bit surprised that she has come over to play gigs in pubs as I would have assumed that she would be hitting the club / small venue circuit. I'm always curious about the logistics about how you put together a tour for artists from overseas at that level. 

I wish!

No, this is a locally known young drummer who has his own covers band.... ;)

2 minutes ago, cetera said:

I wish!

No, this is a locally known young drummer who has his own covers band.... ;)

That's a bit confusing - perhaps he should consider an alternative stage name for his showbiz endeavours? 

1 minute ago, peteb said:

That's a bit confusing - perhaps he should consider an alternative stage name for his showbiz endeavours? 

Or maybe he's hopeful some old wrinkly rockers (myself included) would think it was the lovely lady herself....

Though most people would never have heard of her anyway ;)

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cetera said:

Or maybe he's hopeful some old wrinkly rockers (myself included) would think it was the lovely lady herself....

Though most people would never have heard of her anyway ;)

But there will always be a few gentlemen of a certain age (like me and you) who are going to check the gig out, and the vast majority are going to be a bit disappointed...! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, peteb said:

But there will always be a few gentlemen of a certain age (like me and you) who are going to check the gig out, and the vast majority are going to be a bit disappointed...! 

Ah, you've heard my bass playing before ;) 🤣😂

• Haha 4

Just now, Woodinblack said:

I think the people who would come along wouldn't have actually noticed there was a bass player.

Truth, especially if she was still in her loin cloth outfit ;)

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Boodang said:

As for the xr18, do you have the x touch controller or are you just relying on software? I had issues at a gig once with software crashes and WiFi not working… never again and got the hardware so no more worries. 

BCF2000, the X-Touch's predecessor. Good for sliders and mutes, not perfect for reconfiguring mixer channels, especially when you've forgotten how you set the other ones up in the first place. The X-Air app crashes all the time on my Android 13 tablet (it's fine on an older one, which is what I use), going to try Mixing Station.

1 hour ago, TimR said:

@dmccombe7 Are you measuring them under load or disconnected?

There is a lot of voltage sag on a 9v battery depending on the load. So an effects pedal will be drawing more current and the voltage will sag a lot lower, compared to an active bass. The open circuit measurement won't tell you a lot. 

Best way is to use an actual battery tester rather than a multimeter. 

Yep fair point. I'm testing off load with a multimeter. I appreciate a battery voltage can look good with a multimeter but under load that battery can fail. I've had that with vehicle batteries. Using a load tester is definitely the best way to check but as a basic guide its a simple check. 

If i tested my vehicle battery with a multimeter and it was reading 10V instead of 12V or above i'd be worried that something isn't right so as an initial test its fine to use a multimeter. Most people wont have a load tester but i just checked Amazon and they only cost circa £5 so might be worth getting one.

Have to say i've never experienced a 9V PP3 battery to show a 9.5V on a multimeter but then fail under load. I only use Duracell batteries in my gear.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

A week late but here are a couple of photos from August 10 and 11 when Simply Blu played our last festival of the season, great venue and the best sound system we have used this year.

Some well known touring bands and supporting bands and some great music and workshops including one for bass players which I attended and picked up a few tips and licks. We played three sets over two days and our last one on Sunday morning included a last minute gospel medley that began with a walking boogie bass line solo while I sang the chorus of Will The Circle Be Unbroken. I started playing the song that way as joke in rehearsal but the rest of the band loved it so we did it that way for the first chorus and then settled into the usual rhythm for the rest of the medley and the crowd loved it. Not all bluegrass fans would be happy with this version but this festival features everything from ultra traditional bands to some "newgrass" sounds and was a great way to end our festival season.

I used my trusty '70's Czech laminate with a Canadian made Schatten Design pickup into a Canadian Traynor SB112 combo with DI to the house system, sounded great. That amp is quite popular in North America for DB. 😊

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tauzero said:

BCF2000, the X-Touch's predecessor. Good for sliders and mutes, not perfect for reconfiguring mixer channels, especially when you've forgotten how you set the other ones up in the first place. The X-Air app crashes all the time on my Android 13 tablet (it's fine on an older one, which is what I use), going to try Mixing Station.

I gave up using the x-air app almost immediately and got Mixing Station which has proved to be stable and so much better. I did cry a little when i handed over the cash for the x-touch but actually it's proved a worthwhile investment and I wouldn't want to be without it now.

17 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I have to put a fresh 9 volt in my 1994 G&L ASAT Bass with active pre amp before every gig. It won't play in passive mode if the battery is dead.

Daryl

Might be a silly question Daryl.

Are you removing the jack from the bass when you are not playing ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boodang said:

I gave up using the x-air app almost immediately and got Mixing Station which has proved to be stable and so much better. I did cry a little when i handed over the cash for the x-touch but actually it's proved a worthwhile investment and I wouldn't want to be without it now.

Yes, I love the X-Touch so I have it everywhere, although I also use the X-Air app as it is easier for going out front for a setup and for doing eq on (never got on with mixing station).

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, I love the X-Touch so I have it everywhere, although I also use the X-Air app as it is easier for going out front for a setup and for doing eq on (never got on with mixing station).

I use either XAirMonitorMix or Mixing Station for my IEM’s. A few £’s for individual templates for the latter is no issue