Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

19 minutes ago, steantval said:

Might be a silly question Daryl.

Are you removing the jack from the bass when you are not playing ?

I'd suggest that the jack socket is faulty, and remains 'switched on', even with the jack plug removed. It would be easy enough to check, by measuring the current drawn from the battery with the plug in, and again with the plug out. Any run-of-the-mill guitar tech (or even electrician...) could do the test; if there is current drawn without the plug, get the jack socket changed. It's certainly not normal to have a 9v battery go flat so quickly. Even intensive use should last at least a month or so, but most likely much, much longer. Hope this helps. :friends:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peteb said:

Is that Lee Aaron, as in Canadian 'Metal Queen' singer? If so, I'm a bit surprised that she has come over to play gigs in pubs as I would have assumed that she would be hitting the club / small venue circuit. I'm always curious about the logistics about how you put together a tour for artists from overseas at that level. 

3 hours ago, cetera said:

I wish!

No, this is a locally known young drummer who has his own covers band.... ;)

I was wondering the same thing! 🤣 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cetera said:

Depped with the Lee Aaron Band at a pub in Bracknell on Friday night. First pub dep I've done in a little while but went very well.

Pub itself was fine, though quite a few of the clientele were questionable (a few too many people asking for charlie).... but they seemed to enjoy it. Had a barrier to provide separation and keep them from falling onto our pedals etc.... ;)

Used my Spector Euro Classic and GK Legacy800 Head/Genz Benz NX2112 cab. Sounded awesome and cut through a v noisy rest of band with ease. 😎

20240817_202453.jpg

20240817_202236.jpg

I saw Lee Aaron at Reading Rock in 1983. She seems to have changed a bit... 😁

• Haha 1

Gig yesterday in the sweltering heat.. placed in the corner suntrap with no shade. Jez... that's one sweaty bassboy.

I know you all care about me so for info...I kept hydrated. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 18/08/2024 at 15:59, Obrienp said:

Change the preamp to one that has a passive option?

That's worth considering.  However I wouldn't want to compromise the transparency of the factory configuration.  It's so seamless and quiet. 

Daryl

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Duracells are not what they used to be...

Search 'Duraleak' on Facebook 😞

My tip for everyone. 

Don't buy batteries for your gear at The Dollar Store. Lol

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I remember someone telling me years ago to avoid Duracell. Because they cost more, they tend to stay on the shelf longer, so you have no idea how old they are.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

That's worth considering.  However I wouldn't want to compromise the transparency of the factory configuration.  It's so seamless and quiet. 

Daryl

You might find a Glockenlang does that and it has the passive option (pull up on the volume) with passive tone control. With the eq at equality, you can’t tell the difference between active and passive. However, I can’t pretend to be a preamp expert. I keep my active basses in passive mode Lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, peteb said:

Is that Lee Aaron, as in Canadian 'Metal Queen' singer? If so, I'm a bit surprised that she has come over to play gigs in pubs as I would have assumed that she would be hitting the club / small venue circuit. I'm always curious about the logistics about how you put together a tour for artists from overseas at that level. 

Me too.

Daryl

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Really ?

I've not heard anything bad about them but i'll have a wee look at that.

They do last a lot longer than other batteries tho.

Dave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, andytoad said:

Gig yesterday in the sweltering heat.. placed in the corner suntrap with no shade. Jez... that's one sweaty bassboy.

I know you all care about me so for info...I kept hydrated. 😁

What country was that ? 😁

Dave

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I remember someone telling me years ago to avoid Duracell. Because they cost more, they tend to stay on the shelf longer, so you have no idea how old they are.

I always check the date on them. The ones i've just removed are dated 01/28 altho i'm not sure the production date so they could have been lying on a shelf for 10yrs.

To be fair i've not had any issues in that respect. 

According to google search they have a shelf life of 10-12 yrs.

Dave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Did  a quick search and from what i can find Duracell come out as reliable and longer lasting than any other battery. Leakage is similar or less than other mfrs.

I did come across Energiser Max batteries with a guarantee that any equipment damaged by them will be replaced by Energiser.

They also do Lithium 9V batteries that have an even less risk of leakage.

Looks like i might start using Energiser max or Lithium batteries.

The Energiser Lithium batteries have a 10 yr shelf life. A Duracell battery has a 5 yr shelf life from what i've seen on line.

Dave 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

They have use buy dates. You'll see healthy ones well past their date, and leaky ones with years to go and still in the packet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Really ?

I've not heard anything bad about them but i'll have a wee look at that.

They do last a lot longer than other batteries tho.

Dave

They leaked from my CD controller on to a Love CD cover last week. 

Brought a new meaning to Acid Rock!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A few Facebook videos of our gig in Holmfirth a few weeks ago.

Obligatory Dakota

A Town Called Malice, where it was a combination of the drummist cutting out too early and our singist getting confused as to where he was in the song that made things go a bit wrong in the middle. With the benefit of hindsight I should get more familiar with the lyrics, because if I'd have realised where the singist was starting from in that section I'd have kept that little chromatic line going a bit longer rather than trying to force things back to the chorus - lesson learned for me!

Are "Friends" Electric - this is one of my favourite songs that we play, it sounds great when not recorded on a crappy phone microphone. I was very gratified when our keyboardist told me after the gig that for the keys/bass duets he programs his parts, meaning my timing isn't as rubbish as I often think it might be!

Edited by asingardenof
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

They leaked from my CD controller on to a Love CD cover last week. 

Brought a new meaning to Acid Rock!

Laughing at the Acid Rock comment but sad that it happened Mickey. :laugh1: :sad:

Dave

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, asingardenof said:

A few Facebook videos of our gig in Holmfirth a few weeks ago.

Obligatory Dakota

A Town Called Malice, where it was a combination of the drummist cutting out too early and our singist getting confused as to where he was in the song that made things go a bit wrong in the middle. With the benefit of hindsight I should get more familiar with the lyrics, because if I'd have realised where the singist was starting from in that section I'd have kept that little chromatic line going a bit longer rather than trying to force things back to the chorus - lesson learned for me!

Are "Friends" Electric - this is one of my favourite songs that we play, it sounds great when not recorded on a crappy phone microphone. I was very gratified when our keyboardist told me after the gig that for the keys/bass duets he programs his parts, meaning my timing isn't as rubbish as I often think it might be!

That was good. Never heard a pub band do Are Friends Electric. Nice one.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/08/2024 at 23:18, Bluewine said:

The jack is always removed and the switches in the " off" position. 

Daryl

20240719_142911.jpg

On my ASAT that’s in passive. Not aware of there being a different version of that pre either. It’s a good tip about removing the jack but the G&L pre is not like a typical one as I understand it- the battery only operates if it detects signal from the strings moving. I’ve gone on holiday for a week accidentally leaving mine plugged in and the battery worked for another year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

It’s a good tip about removing the jack but the G&L pre is not like a typical one as I understand it- the battery only operates if it detects signal from the strings moving. I’ve gone on holiday for a week accidentally leaving mine plugged in and the battery worked for another year. 

Thats because it doesn't take much power, the preamp is on all the time the jack socket is plugged in (and the passive switch doesn't switch it off either).  The G&Ls are not like the standard ones, in that the tone controls on a G&L work the same whether the preamp is on or not, but not in any other ways

• Like 3

Photos of the gig on Sunday have been posted. I don't think I've posted any photos of me playing here in the 20 odd years I've been a member.

However, this deserves a special mention.

So there I was, busy playing a G. When two dogs started fighting outside. One got off his lead and the lady had to run after it down the middle of the road. And the other one was getting a roasting from its owner. 

Never a dull gig.

FB_IMG_1724366677310.thumb.jpg.69c64684087d124c12ee86cffe9cd37d.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 9