Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Thats because it doesn't take much power, the preamp is on all the time the jack socket is plugged in (and the passive switch doesn't switch it off either).  The G&Ls are not like the standard ones, in that the tone controls on a G&L work the same whether the preamp is on or not, but not in any other ways

Just another Ppic of my favorite bass guitar.

Daryl

IMG_20240814_033330~3.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 10

Played at a birthday party this week in Oughtibridge near Sheffield with our (very) occasional

country band ‘The Fork Handles’. A 4 piece outfit  up of myself on bass, my best mate on guitar,

and old friends on guitar/pedal steel and drums. We all sing lead & harmony vocals. 

The venue was ‘The Pheasant’, a lovely old pub owned by an old friend ( who used to run the

cafe in Hull where our acoustic duo first performed). Bit of an awkward room to set up in (long and thin)

with us at one end and the bar down one side, but we managed to get there early and soundcheck so

got it sounding okay. Previous gigs with the band have often ended up being too loud but this time we all

managed to keep it under control and subsequently all the better for it.

Fairly standard country rock tunes got people dancing in the first set, and by the second one most of

the audience were up. All over too soon, but overall a great gig. Made me appreciate how much I enjoy

having a pedal steel player in the line up - Dave Holley is a great musician, and no slouch on a Telecaster

too! No pics of the band playing (unless some surface from the guests) , but obligatory shots taken during

set up. I used my Precision Lyte into a Rumble 500 combo, perfect for this gig. 

IMG_4059.jpeg

IMG_4060.jpeg

• Like 11

Last night In Isolation played the Infest warm-up event at Nightrain in Bradford. A venue that, judging from the posters, normally puts on rock tribute acts, but for one night was taken over by gothic electronica and us.

We were a little out of place with all the other bands being much more electronic than we are (we were the only ones with a drum kit) but we'd got the gig because we'd had to pull out of a previous year's event with a more suitable line-up due to a last-minute date change which then conflicted with our singer's wedding. Having said that we seemed to go down well with a surprising number of people dancing at the front and plenty of applause between songs. One embarrassing thing - for the last three weeks we've been rehearsing a cover of The Bolshoi's "Away" which we have managed to keep quite about, so guess what the DJ chose to put on just as we were getting ready to play...

We left after Deviant's set which meant I was home at a slightly less stupid time in the morning, but disappointed because the two bands still to play had sounded awesome during the soundcheck. I will probably be listening to Tilly Electronics on Spotify while I work today...

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

One embarrassing thing - for the last three weeks we've been rehearsing a cover of The Bolshoi's "Away" which we have managed to keep quite about, so guess what the DJ chose to put on just as we were getting ready to play...

Ah, common problem for some of us. I used to play in a band covering a lot of Dylan and similar style material. Sometimes a helpful landlord would try and set the scene and as we were setting up we would have to hastily rearrange the set list. Good job we had plenty of material!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Ah, common problem for some of us. I used to play in a band covering a lot of Dylan and similar style material. Sometimes a helpful landlord would try and set the scene and as we were setting up we would have to hastily rearrange the set list. Good job we had plenty of material!

In this case the song isn't particularly well-known, although it's one of those songs that people remember when they hear it. We'd picked it because it's a song we all like but haven't heard recently at any of the goth nights or between bands at goth gigs that we've been to in the last few years. And no-one other than the band knew we were going to be playing it last night.

I'd have been happy to drop it in favour of one of our own song,s and also because IMO we've been struggling to capture the feel of the original. Despite the fact we play it a couple of BPM faster than the record our version still sounds slow. However the rest of the band were insistent that we played it.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Thats because it doesn't take much power, the preamp is on all the time the jack socket is plugged in (and the passive switch doesn't switch it off either).  The G&Ls are not like the standard ones, in that the tone controls on a G&L work the same whether the preamp is on or not, but not in any other ways

The G&L pre-amps use passive tone controls and then feed the signal to a preamp. They use the same very low power op-amp used in the early MM 2 band pre-amps so power consumption is tiny. The battery is not disconnected if the plug is in the jack but the low power consumption means it will last a long,long time.

Edited by Chienmortbb
Found more info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, casapete said:

Made me appreciate how much I enjoy having a pedal steel player in the line up - Dave Holley is a great musician, and no slouch on a Telecaster too!

IMG_4059.jpeg

IMG_4060.jpeg

Love a bit of pedalsteel guitar too. I have memories of seeing BJ Cole playing in Cochise when I was a teenager and Jimmy Page did some interesting stuff with Zeppelin. It doesn’t have to be corny. Finding a pedal steel player for a pub band is not easy though. Hold onto him!

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, casapete said:

Played at a birthday party this week in Oughtibridge near Sheffield with our (very) occasional

country band ‘The Fork Handles’. A 4 piece outfit  up of myself on bass, my best mate on guitar,

and old friends on guitar/pedal steel and drums. We all sing lead & harmony vocals. 

The venue was ‘The Pheasant’, a lovely old pub owned by an old friend ( who used to run the

cafe in Hull where our acoustic duo first performed). Bit of an awkward room to set up in (long and thin)

with us at one end and the bar down one side, but we managed to get there early and soundcheck so

got it sounding okay. Previous gigs with the band have often ended up being too loud but this time we all

Fairly standard country rock tunes got people dancing in the first set, and by the second one most of

the audience were up. All over too soon, but overall a great gig. Made me appreciate how much I enjoy

having a pedal steel player in the line up - Dave Holley is a great musician, and no slouch on a Telecaster

too! No pics of the band playing (unless some surface from the guests) , but obligatory shots taken during

IMG_4059.jpeg

IMG_4060.jpeg

The pedal steel guitar can sound really nice but a lot of times it is overused. As your friend plays a Tele too, he probably has the balance worked out.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Love a bit of pedalsteel guitar too. I have memories of seeing BJ Cole playing in Cochise when I was a teenager and Jimmy Page did some interesting stuff with Zeppelin. It doesn’t have to be corny. Finding a pedal steel player for a pub band is not easy though. Hold onto him!

Been playing with Dave on and off for a long time, he’s a gem of a player. Also great on

acoustic guitar, mandolin and banjo - he calls himself a string wrangler!

42 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

The pedal steel guitar can sound really nice but a lot of times it is overused. As your friend plays a Tele too, he probably has the balance worked out.

Yeh, he has. Sometimes forgets which instrument ( steel or guitar ) he plays on some songs which

cracks us up. Annoyingly he’s so good on both that he can blag it too! It’s just a shame I don’t get 

to gig with him more regularly. 
Amazingly another of my friends also plays pedal steel, as well as other stuff. I’ve known both guys

for around 50 years now, so been blessed with some lovely steel sounds for decades. Both have

met BJ Cole and rate him highly, and also know Gerry Hogan who used to gig with Albert Lee. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Played a west country cider festival today, home by 7pm which is unusual but great.

Compress_20240824_125516_6827.thumb.jpg.dae7624545339db75f85751a75a47be1.jpg

Ashdown/Sandberg combination for this one - a beautiful combination 

Nice! Did I sell you that Sandberg Stew? 👍

• Like 1

Bit of an unusual weekend for us, had a charity fundraiser at Hereford rugby club last night, which was early evening (7-9), and then today a 3-4 slot at a family festival at Pearl Lake Holiday Park, Shobdon, Herefordshire. Both really enjoyable, and nice to not be home late at night! The best thing was that the kids got to come and see us for a change! 😊

IMG-20240824-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20240824-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240824-WA0001.jpg

• Like 20

Somewhat different gig, because of the arrangings: there was one ambassador in place, and we needed IDs and everything felt pretty strict. But after the set up, sound check, and some jazz people went crazy! They sang practically all songs. We had to add more songs to the fourth set, as they just shouted for more.

Sets: jazz standards, start me up, sing-a-long, and ring-and-shout!

Because of the ambassador, we decided to break one rule: the last song was All you need is love. We have never, ever played Beatles live.

Maybe the most complicated song for us was Peter Gabriel's Book of love. It is slow, very intimate, and was new for us. The owner of the place asked this, and we decided to make it happen.

Equipment:

- Vigier Passion II 4-string

- IE Xero DL envelope, Phat Beam comp, Boss SY-1 synth

- Glockenklang Soul

- alusonic 2 x 12"

- at the moment several totally dead fingers

• Like 15

Local club that can be hit or miss, but easy load in and a lot of space. I have been going through the PA recently apart from outdoor gigs where I need a bit more power, but tonight I thought I would take my home setup in to see what it sounded like, that is a Warwick Gnome 10" cab and a BAM200. I was very impressed at just how loud it got, and how you couldn't put anything on the speaker without it falling off! So I cut back on the PA and put a lot through the bam/gnome. Had the advantage of being able to feel it through the stage.

Anyway, unusually, a group of older ladies started dancing from song 1, and largely speaking, danced most of the set, which was nice, so by the end of the gig everyone was up. Makes it quite rewarding, and for us, a short gig at only 2 hours so home before midnight.

• Like 15

Another week, a different dep. This time at a holiday park with a funky band.

Ampless again just my pedalboard into the TwoNotes Bass Revolt into the stage box and an aux feed to a Behringer P2 for my IEM’s.

The band had their speakers but as it was a big club with different areas in the bar their Soundcraft was fed straight to the house system.

Seemed to go ok though the crowd didn’t wake up until midway through the second set.

Bizarre moment of the evening. After we had finished and the stage was pretty much clear, just a keyboard stand with one left on it. Punter walks up to one of the girls and says “Are you done?” … “Sorry?” … “Have you finished, are you taking song requests?” … we look around the empty stage “eeeeeeeeeer” 🤷‍♂️🤣

IMG_0274.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Bit of an unusual weekend for us, had a charity fundraiser at Hereford rugby club last night, which was early evening (7-9), and then today a 3-4 slot at a family festival at Pearl Lake Holiday Park, Shobdon, Herefordshire. Both really enjoyable, and nice to not be home late at night! The best thing was that the kids got to come and see us for a change! 😊

IMG-20240824-WA0002.jpg

Lovely looking Yamaha. Refinished?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:
9 hours ago, TRBboy said:

IMG-20240824-WA0002.jpg

Lovely looking Yamaha. Refinished?

It's not a Yamaha, I built that bass from scratch last year, the shape is based on a Yamaha BBN5 though, good eyes! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bit of an odd one for me last night, depping at a local club in a 3 piece band - and I was the guitarist!
Big club in East Hull with the last resident band. Used their amp ( a variety of VoxAC30) which wasn’t 

great so wish I’d taken my Fender 65 Deluxe but never mind. Got there at 7pm, the room already full of 

punters. Couple of old friends on bass and drums, so great to see them. We basically played before 

and in between the bingo and the main act, a duo from Bradford doing soul stuff with backing tracks.

Finished by 11.15, got paid & home around midnight so an okay evening for me. Made me realise how

much I prefer playing bass though ( despite this being my 2nd guitar gig in 2 months! ).
Whilst I enjoy playing a variety of places, I also couldn’t play social clubs regularly - started out

doing them nearly 50 years ago and they’re still broadly the same if last night was an indication.

Couldn’t be further apart from playing theatres which I’ve been used to for the last 15 years.

Still, a gig’s a gig! 😄

(Photo added - am playing a 54 / 40th Anniversary Strat into some AC30 house amp.)

IMG_0356.jpeg

Edited by casapete
Added pic
  • Like 16

I helped my mate out for a wedding last night, their bassist had damaged his elbow amongst other things falling from a ladder..

7-9, local and a buffet. Let the good times roll. 🙂

They use amps so a plesent departure from IEMs, I got to blow the socks off my SWR and V4.

20240824_151631.thumb.jpg.5eba731c1367c42e0c55540ed2c533c9.jpg

Edited by andytoad
  • Like 16

On 23/08/2024 at 06:22, casapete said:

IMG_4059.jpeg

IMG_4060.jpeg

That’s a bit of a rarity nowadays, two Peavey combo’s on stage.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steantval said:

That’s a bit of a rarity nowadays, two Peavey combo’s on stage.

Well spotted! 
My guitarist mate loves old Peavey combos, and think this was a Bandit - it sounded great.

The steel player uses a Peavey Session 500, which was the industry standard for steelies

for a long time. 250 very clean watts into a 15 inch Black Widow, bombproof construction.

Weighs over 80lbs though, so he brings it in himself! ( though maybe not for much longer).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Played our first Fringe gig last night with the punk band. Well, it was in a Fringe venue although not an official show. But it does mean we can be economic with the actualité and casually say that 'when we played the Fringe...' Fake it 'til you make it and all that.

The Stingray had its second outing and acquitted itself very well. The bass amp was an old Laney box - no idea of the model - but the Stingray sounded really good through it.

• Like 9