Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just back from standing in for a localish soul/funk band . Marquee gig in a very busy pub garden. Done another gig last night with the same guys and both went very well considering no rehearsal or anything. Last night used my GB Spitfire and today decided to give the distillate a spin. Great fun and I think I gave a good account of myself. 😊👌x

IMG_9050.jpeg

• Like 20

18 minutes ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Just back from standing in for a localish soul/funk band . Marquee gig in a very busy pub garden. Done another gig last night with the same guys and both went very well considering no rehearsal or anything. Last night used my GB Spitfire and today decided to give the distillate a spin. Great fun and I think I gave a good account of myself. 😊👌x

IMG_9050.jpeg

Ooohh nice bass Any pics of the Spitfire too, just for comparison. :hi:

Some vids would be good too as i like to hear Alembic basses on here.

Dave

• Like 1

Last night we played at the Coach House in Paignton. We were offered this a couple of weeks ago, as the booked band couldn't make it. Sound check was easy as our last gig was here a month ago and the mixer settings hadn't changed. A good turnout for the bank holiday weekend, with a good group up dancing in the 2nd set. A couple of people who had not seen us before came up to chat and tell me how much they enjoyed the gig. Last time here I used my new Squire Precision, which was fun. This time I took my old StingRay. I asked our drummer how it compared to the Squire and he said the StingRay has just such a better sound in his opinion. Next gig isn't until October, so time for some practicing.

• Like 18

Two gigs this weekend. Friday night at the Yard of Ale in Peterborough. Great crowd from beginning to end. Fun, happy time. This afternoon in Spaldwick at the Greystones playind in support of Addinbrook Hospital. Outdoor gig with lots of families. Plenty of dancing as well. Myusual rig with this band… Spectracore fretless 5, trace head, and twin GB 12’s.

• Like 15

Did an interesting beer festival gig today with my pop/punk band, our first gig since BC (Before Covid) and a completely new set of songs which our band leader had written in lockdown. 

Being a microbrewery in a small industrial unit, the acoustics were pretty crappy. Hard floors and walls, high ceiling, and the world’s smallest PA. Honestly I’ve seen home hi fi systems which are bigger. House bass amp was a 30W Ampeg Rocket combo, so naturally I took my Handbox WB100 and Barefaced Two10. Both guitarists had their 2x12s 😆🤦🏼‍♂️ Soundman looked a bit scared, bless him.

Overall though, it sounded great. Seemed well balanced out front from the videos I’ve seen, albeit with a PA being pushed hard. We played well and then laughed when the next band announced a song “this is new, we’ve never played it live before so I hope it goes OK”. Er, that was our entire set 😄

So yeah, Youths is the name of the band, new music will be released soon. We need some more gigs as well 😁

IMG_0144.thumb.jpeg.0d6b66cb0920cbc5d0a8e7b0673ddc1a.jpeg

Edited by Merton
  • Like 18

2 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

What’s the bass? Looks interesting!

ACG TKO Classic :)

https://acguitars.co.uk/project/0404tkoclassic4-30-5/

EDIT - it is the Dog’s Danglies, especially for rock music. Passive but has a very Spector-esque growl to it, especially with the pickups in series

Edited by Merton
To babble more
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

IMG_9050.jpeg

Very nice rig.

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mep said:

Last night we played at the Coach House in Paignton. We were offered this a couple of weeks ago, as the booked band couldn't make it. Sound check was easy as our last gig was here a month ago and the mixer settings hadn't changed. A good turnout for the bank holiday weekend, with a good group up dancing in the 2nd set. A couple of people who had not seen us before came up to chat and tell me how much they enjoyed the gig. Last time here I used my new Squire Precision, which was fun. This time I took my old StingRay. I asked our drummer how it compared to the Squire and he said the StingRay has just such a better sound in his opinion. Next gig isn't until October, so time for some practicing.

Your drummer listens to bass?  Sometimes I wonder how important bass is to the rest of the band. It seems like they're focusing for the most part on their own individual performance. 

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Your drummer listens to bass?  Sometimes I wonder how important bass is to rest of the band. It seems like they're focusing for the most part on their own individual performance. 

Daryl

All drummers should be listening to the bass, but this isn't always the case. Ours does and I listen to him too as we like to keep a tight rhythm section. Our singer is very aware of the bass too, because if I play a bum note it can throw him off sometimes. I know our guitarist is listening too, well sometimes. I would hope the rest of any band know how important bass is, but as you say it can look like they are focusing on their own performance. Once I was was having some gear problems and had to stop playing whilst the rest carried on. They all found out how important the bass is as the song sounded empty without bass.

Edited by mep
  • Like 3

A nice festival gig for us on Saturday playing a nice 60 min Nirvana set . It's great to see all ages enjoying some good old 90's grunge! Ripper into a Hiwatt and Barefaced 6x10 was sublime.

IMG_2086.jpeg

IMG_2083.jpeg

• Like 20

13 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Ooohh nice bass Any pics of the Spitfire too, just for comparison. :hi:

Some vids would be good too as i like to hear Alembic basses on here.

Dave

Sorry only photo taken of me the night before with the spitfire. No videos that i know of taken but it all sounded pretty good , you’ll have to take my word on that 😊.

IMG_9051.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Third year for covers band playing at a village event. Due to funding from a green energy company in compensation for disruption, they have a fund to put on an annual event. It involves a free bar for about 4 hours prior to us playing and a paying bar thereafter (which had record takings yesterday evening). This is a good formula for us getting plenty of dancing but thankfully not too many drunks tripping over cables!

One very enthusiastic dancer kept going for both of our sets bless her but was asleep on a table when we were packing up. Concerned organisers had the mop bucket out and were trying to get her home. Her fella was staggering around in the road outside, falling over our kit as we tried to load up. More amusing than annoying but I did feel a bit worried for the dancer (not so tiny as it happens), who looked like a candidate for a stomach pump.

The gig went very well for us, except for the rhythm guitarist’s DI dropping out in the second set. We really haven’t got to grips with the Soundcraft digital desk yet. We have issues every time we use it. I was using my LFSys Monza with Blackstar U700 and Guild Starfire 1, plus a custom P/J shorty. I am very happy with this set up DI into the PA but I did find the Starfire was causing the amp to clip a bit when I was digging in and I had to turn down the input gain a bit. The Starfire’s pickup is very responsive to playing dynamics. I must learn to let the amp do the work, as I have blisters on my picking fingers this morning: 2 1/2 hours of playing north of 140 BPM (a lot North of 160). 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, walshy said:

A nice festival gig for us on Saturday playing a nice 60 min Nirvana set . It's great to see all ages enjoying some good old 90's grunge! Ripper into a Hiwatt and Barefaced 6x10 was sublime.

IMG_2086.jpeg

IMG_2083.jpeg

That bass and rig must have sounded amazing. 

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Sorry only photo taken of me the night before with the spitfire. No videos that i know of taken but it all sounded pretty good , you’ll have to take my word on that 😊.

IMG_9051.jpeg

Another great looking bass.

Don't see many GB Spitfire basses about either.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First gig outside London on Saturday (only third one overall).

Part of an all-day do in a pub in Chatham...looked a bit rough and ready when we got there (set up in the corner of the pub, no stage kind of affair), and a proper jamboree bag of acts, but we went down really well and played a really good set.

Mrs. Pook and I had hired a car for the weekend (for non-band purposes), so we drove down and back rather than getting the train.

We gave the guitarist a lift there and back, might be a while before he accepts the offer of a lift again as Mrs. Pook and I sang along to Absolute 80s radio all the way back. :) He sat in the back, occasionally mentioning that he didn't know any of the songs...

First time gigging my Ibanez EHB - very impressed. It'll take a bit to get used to it, sound-wise, after using my Spector for so long, but boy.....so much lighter !

• Like 14